Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I feel this is accurate. Im in the hotel business and the impact has been heavy and came on fast. Some hotels have closed (Hilton on 6th ave, Baccarat, Warwick) and more will follow. The small mom and pop businesses that remain will not be able to recover, people out of work wont be spending and this is the punch combination that ends the fight. Its brutal and the scope of this is not even in view yet.

Crimes about to go up too everyone. Expect more robberies, as they know anyone traveling likely still has a job and people will start to get desparate and lose hope. Seeing some groups the last 2 days walking through the trains, and had an altercation with one today 3pm.
Imagine just imagine if Social Security had been privatized and private portfolios had been enacted how many individuals would have lost their means of support over night

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
So Blake what do you advocate? If you were mayor what would you do ?
No choice but to do like Cuomo said, all non-essential stay inside. But I would be pushing like hell to get people tested especially those with no symptoms that are responsible for infecting 90% of new cases

We need like 100,000 times more tests available, the CDC is dragging their feet

Old 03-21-2020, 05:15 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No choice but to do like Cuomo said, all non-essential stay inside. But I would be pushing like hell to get people tested especially those with no symptoms that are responsible for infecting 90% of new cases

We need like 100,000 times more tests available, the CDC is dragging their feet
So basically the shelter in place, or what ever you want to call it that you opposed just yesterday.. I am not saying that to be combative. Just saying by the time this is over many people will be changing opinions to deal with facts on the ground. This will be transformative for millions.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
In 3 days my wife’s employment went from full time, part time, laid off, part time now back to laid off. This is nuts. Her company should weather this fine as they are the #2 in her industry nationwide, but they will take a big hit depending on how long this goes on.

I really don’t think this can continue for months. It’s not sustainable. The economy at some point is more important than trying to stop ALL deaths. If we collapse the economy, especially with China working again, we’d have to go to war to correct this. Better off starting things up again knowing that some people will die because of it.

Sucks, but that’s reality.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-21-2020, 05:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
So basically the shelter in place, or what ever you want to call it that you opposed just yesterday.. I am not saying that to be combative. Just saying by the time this is over many people will be changing opinions to deal with facts on the ground. This will be transformative for millions.
It seems like people aren't understanding the distinction. Cuomo did it right, he asked non-essential to stay home and closed all non-essential business. But if someone needs to go out and buy something or grab something at the office, there's no secret police shoving your face to the pavement like De Blasio wanted

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Because DiBlasio is a true South American-style dictatorial leftist. He’d kill you to achieve his goals. Cuomo, as much as I hate him, is simply a liberal American Democrat.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-21-2020, 05:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In 3 days my wife’s employment went from full time, part time, laid off, part time now back to laid off. This is nuts. Her company should weather this fine as they are the #2 in her industry nationwide, but they will take a big hit depending on how long this goes on.

I really don’t think this can continue for months. It’s not sustainable. The economy at some point is more important than trying to stop ALL deaths. If we collapse the economy, especially with China working again, we’d have to go to war to correct this. Better off starting things up again knowing that some people will die because of it.

The deaths disrupt the economy.

They will ultimately have into find a vaccine or cure of course to completely stop this.

In the meantime we will have to reduce contact with each other as much as possible. The fact nations around the world are doing the same thing and leaders from right to left are in agreement says something.

Governments and societies can restructure economies. People can open new businesses. But we cannnotbrause the dead.

Oh, we are at war with a virus thst is causing massive deaths were it takes hold. We will all have to sacrifice for this.

This will sadly and definitely confine even after the restrictions are up as we cannot have tens of millions of deaths in the US alone.

Certain aspects of the economy like tourism are crushed long term. Sadly, some businesses will not never come back.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Imagine just imagine if Social Security had been privatized and private portfolios had been enacted how many individuals would have lost their means of support over night
Totally right on this.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Because DiBlasio is a true South American-style dictatorial leftist. He’d kill you to achieve his goals. Cuomo, as much as I hate him, is simply a liberal American Democrat.
They’ve all worked rather well with Trump and the Republicans on this.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:

And this is probably what will occur. Another week or two of this shutdown but after that when the tests, hospital beds, respirators, etc. inventory catch up, people should be resuming regular activity. At that time, there will not be a fear of a shortage in medical support services if there’s a spike in infections. Only the most vulnerable should stay home. Everyone else go back to work, school, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City