Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 526,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Are you bi-polar or something? It's one thing to ask/require businesses to close and people to social distance, it's a whole other universe to tell people they can't leave their homes even to get groceries to a family member in need or to go make sure nobody has broken into your store
The shelter in place would still allow everyone to do the essentials like the ones you just mentioned wouldn't it?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
It'll be ok...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Elsewhere you mentioned you and your wouldn't be wear the infection would be bad. Yet. You went to Costco. Well your belief was just shattered
I never went, it took off too fast. I immediately ordered from amazon fresh any last minute stuff I figured we’d need.

As it stands, I could shut my doors and not open them again for a little more than 2 months without issue as long as the water and power stay on. That’s with 5 people in the house.

I can also defend my home from armed or unarmed assailants as well.

As of todays final trip to the market, I’m confident we’re ready for this to get far worse.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM

874 posts, read 455,057 times
Quote:
BMW: " . . . pack Times Square to protest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post

If people are truly that dumb during a lockdown to want to protest then I
really hope that they get together and do it. At this point I’m just hoping
natural selection does it’s thing and that the virus does it’s works on all
the people who are being inconsiderate to themselves and others.

Certain people need to stop acting like they are invincible. Certain people
need to understand that at this point it’s not about the amount of deaths
or the amount of young that can fight off this virus. If more people continue
to get infected to the point where they need to be hospitalized THAT is what’s
going to cause a higher amount of deaths.

Reading a lot of people’s comments on social media and on here I can see
how many people bypassed math and science in school

"TCV" - he knows. He just kidding around ("pack times square")

. . .deadly virus spreading, pack times square ---- a laugh a minute

Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I never went, it took off too fast. I immediately ordered from amazon fresh any last minute stuff I figured we’d need.

As it stands, I could shut my doors and not open them again for a little more than 2 months without issue as long as the water and power stay on. That’s with 5 people in the house.

I can also defend my home from armed or unarmed assailants as well.

As of todays final trip to the market, I’m confident we’re ready for this to get far worse.
Can't shoot a virus. Believe me I wish you and your health. But you can't see a virus coming and you have five persons in an area between NYC and New Jersey. 5 people make contact with people who made contact with people who made contact with people. Wash your hands.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:28 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Yeah no crap, but I have no problem affording the spending it takes to prepare for other aspects of this dilemma so why not do so?

I live in a place where degenerates from another part of the Island regularly ride the train to steal change from our cars. Imagine when they can’t get food for themselves anymore.

I spend $200 on alcohol and coffee alone. Untold thousands on ammo and wisely stocked my foodstuffs.

Apparently the boy scout motto is only respected if you’re talking about bringing tin foil, matches and a fish hook to a weekend camping trip. Some of us apply it to real life.

I bet that right up until a month ago you were laughing at all of my prep-centric posts. Look where we are now. Where might we be next week?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-17-2020, 06:31 PM

Can't wait to see what this thread looks like in July

Old 03-17-2020, 06:36 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
This. He basically said only a state official can declare that, not the state's mayor.
And he's not even thinking about it.
Shade.
On Sunday morning they were both saying that the NYC schools would never be closed . By 6 p.m they closed the schools immediately ( for the next day) and by 10:00 p.m. they announced the closing of bars and restaurants. Boom, a complete turnaround in 12 hours time.
Tonight on MSNBC Cuomo said they were thinking about just completely shutting down all non essential businesses which would have much the same effect as a shelter in place. He also said it would be better if it were done along with neighboring states because that would make it much more effective. This is pretty much what S.F has done.
They are obviously working on something and they are working with NJ and Ct for a co ordinated action. Probably same territory as included in the restaurant/bar shutdown .... downstate,Long Island, ct and NJ. Shutdown of all business except grocery stores,pharmacies and hospitals.
We are almost there anyway... most retail started shutting down on its own today.
Cuomo will still be able to say it’s not a shelter in place or a lockdown but nobody will be able to do anything but walk around or go for rides in their cars.

Again.. one of the pieces of the puzzle they are waiting on is the actual implementation of the online teaching protocols for NYC to be finished . It’s very complicated because unlike suburban areas, many NYC kids are extremely internet and device deprived. This is similar to the behind the scenes activities that went on re the closing of the schools. They couldn’t do it until they came up with a plan to feed the kids and at least the beginning of a plan for online learning. Once they did that it was a go to close and they closed the schools. As I said in another post we were told today that some kind of major action would take place once
all of the packets were prepared and arrangements set so that at that point the teachers...most of whom live outside the city .. would not have to come into the city again until it’s over and most of the school buildings can be shut down. Everything is supposed to be completed by end of Thursday......which happens to be 48 hours . Which happens to be the time frame DeBlasio has been talking about.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-17-2020 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Lol,Kansas just closed all schools for the rest of the year. Do they even have 5 cases?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 PM

GTFOH

WoW

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City