Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
So since we're on the military theme let's discuss this angle...

Americans historically our culture rewards a braggadocios mindset, bravado , "fake it till you make it" etc.

Up until the Korean War our style was HUZZAH and GUNS BLAZING....Then in Vietnam we got our asses handed to us and again in Iraq history repeats itself.

At what point do we embrace other perspectives.... We are fighting an invisible enemy that is crafty, cunning and elusive... And you think big tanks, big guns and big bombs are going to do the trick.

I was just mentioning this to a friend. Our idea of survival and "strength" is all wrong.

The people who survive this don't have a "strong" immune system. They have a SMART immune system. Their helper T cells are fast, accurate and delegate quickly and manage their signaling meticulously.

The people who die have unbound telomeres and defects that broke the "OFF " Switch and what ends up happening is the Killer T cells go unchecked on a rampage, mast B cells spraying Cytokines (inflammation) bullets everywhere harming healthy tissue in the lungs.

Inflammation leads to overproduction of mucous which leads to oxygen deficiency which results in death.

STRONG + STUPID = DEAD
SMART + WEAK = 50/50
SMART + STRONG = WINNING (but rare)

Sometimes the smart decision is to HIDE and BIDE time to analyze the enemy to find their weakness. This is no time to be brave or strong against an enemy we have limited intelligence on.
Lots of the animals that survived the ice age were the small and crafty, not the strongest. The prey animals often survived where the alpha predator perished. Our species early ancestors, the early mammals that became Homo something or another were little and skittish.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:50 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Yes. This I agree with 100 percent. Have to be able to tell a person freaking out the truth too. A good " shut the hell up and do your job is needed ". Have to be able to be positive in the worst of times. I grew up in a very socially dysfunctional neighborhood with lots of violence and poor coping skills all around learned to keep a level head. This lesson is also useful when bringing people over to drink with. Ever had a depressed drunk at your gathering ???? Take them out back and lock the door please
Tencent has been freaking out on this forum nonstop. Put him in the bathroom! Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
MTA lose over 100 million in revenue past week

Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Lots of the animals that survived the ice age were the small and crafty, not the strongest. The prey animals often survived where the alpha predator perished. Our species early ancestors, the early mammals that became Homo something or another were little and skittish.
Either you have to be smart or just reproduce so fast the predators can barely keep up...

It takes entirely too long (9 months) for humans to give birth and full mental maturity also takes far too long (Up to 23-25 years

The amount of time, energy and resources it takes to raise a high quality human is ENORMOUS. And to think that life could be snuffed out quickly by a mere virus. All that hard work and dedication down the drain.

The only way we made it this far is our baseline intelligence had to increase dramatically and we had to divert a large amount of caloric energy towards the brain instead of our muscles.

However I think we are devolving unfortunately.... The dumbest human these days is from a practical standpoint potentially dumber than a dog

We are in a bit of trouble...

Old 03-18-2020, 12:06 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Tencent has been freaking out on this forum nonstop. Put him in the bathroom! Lol
The species is being put to the test... I don't think I'm overreacting here...

If 2 million dogs were in danger of dying this year from a new virus I bet people would be storming the capital demanding a cure

Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,085 times
Quote:

Laffs. Thank you bxlover. You just reminded me of the lovely little feature that is "Ice Age". Contrast that with all the Rambos you could throw out in the garbage heap of history.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:16 PM

185 posts, read 97,049 times
NO, NO,NO AND HELL NO.

For one, I don't think its necessary. It's not to undermine the virus but at the same time, it's not like it's an airborne virus, disease that's making me drop dead in their tracks. Many more people are surviving this and overcoming it. Yes, many are being infected but I can get sick either way. With or without a major outbreaks. I think we should have more awareness but to put the city to a stand still and then be kept in our homes for who knows how long; NO WAY.

Secondly, after a period of time, I don't see it working anyway. As the weather starts to become more pleasant, people are going to get restless. So if it goes on for more than a month, I don't see people staying cooped up in their houses. I know I personally cannot do it. I'm a law abiding citizen in every way but I'll lose my head if I am cooped up inside the house for more than 3 days.

I think this whole thing is very overblown and the media is constantly fear mongering and making people paranoid. When all we should really do is raise awareness and enforce that people take extra preventive measures. The last thing we need is to follow China's model. I'm not going to have the government do everything for me. I'm not saying government doesn't have its place but the more we get comfortable with "social distancing" and having everything closed down, the more we'll be okay with just letting the government stop us from living normal lives.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:21 PM

185 posts, read 97,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Some people don't have the mental strength to handle adverse situations. Some do. In the military we called it, "embracing the suck." Man up or hide. I'd rather be around people with good attitudes and strong resolve, they are beneficial in a crisis. Depressed people are nearly worthless.

Exactly. What we're doing with all this mass mysteria and eating the fear mongering from the lamestream media is breeding a bunch of weaklings. People who are much too willing to allow the government and powers that be to baby them. We're adding too much suffering to circumstance rather than using common sense and taking extra preventive measures. Allergy season is also on its way or rather may even be here already. The more the coughs and sneezes happen, the more paranoid people are going to be. All this over-reaction is truly ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:27 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
De Blasio sounds like he doesn’t even want people to shop for food:

Quote:
“We have a little bit more we have to make sense of — how we’re going to get people food and medicine — but I have to say it has to be considered seriously starting today,” Hizzoner said on NBC.
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...qry-story.html

Old 03-18-2020, 12:44 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
De Blasio sounds like he doesn’t even want people to shop for food:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...qry-story.html
He's a complete moron, what else do you expect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City