Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm honestly not worried about you and I mean that in a good way

You're good Bro no matter the outcome

We all are in this together, bx is right

Thank you (and everyone else as well).

I’m not overly worried. The worst part is that we lost a good portion of our planned babysitting now. Hopefully no one else goes down.

Thankfully I’m very low risk and no elderly or sick people live in my household.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-18-2020, 04:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Supposedly the transmission and life cycle of this virus is going to go down when the weather gets warmer. There's also something to be said for giving time to do research and prepare for this virus. A shutdown of a week or two to get a bit ahead of the virus and coming up with an actual plan is arguably a good idea. It's a blunt force instrument, but it's what we have now since the US has been incredibly slow on rolling out sufficient tests so that the disease can be tracked and actions can be better pinpointed.

There's also a preliminary paper, not yet peer-reviewed but from a reputable source, arguing the coronavirus may be screwing around with your testes regardless of your age. The fact of the matter is we still don't know that much about this virus since its history of human transmission is new or to what extent it's already spread in the US since the national government severely bungled early communications on the potential severity of this as well as the rollout of testing. It's possible that we'll overreach, but as more research and testing is done, it's faster and more possible to limit restrictions rapidly than the converse where we do too little and then try to make up the difference if its severity and scope is greater than originally thought.

We don't need to follow China's model to a T. South Korea and Taiwan did not impose long, massive shutdowns, and they are democratic countries with active free presses and without an authoritarian government tracking your every interaction. What they did have was the infrastructure to ramp up tests, and they ramped up tests rapidly, and enact and communicate policy swiftly. This is despite the fact that the virus hit them earlier than they hit the US and they had both less time to prepare and less verified information to go on. My relatives in Taiwan are essentially living life as normal and have been for a while with the only major difference from prior to the coronavirus being that people are being somewhat more careful if they exhibit symptoms, some very large events cancelled or postponed, school breaks extended by a week or two early on, and restrictions on foreign travel. Businesses are still open, schools are in session, hospitals are not overloaded, and their extensive mass transit systems are still heavily utilized. The salient point though is that they ramped up the testing early on and clearly asked people to exercise precautions and to take this seriously very early on. Right now, we, the US, still have a shortage when it comes to testing.

So yea, maybe we do need to take a short break to get ahead of this until we at least have enough tests to check everyone if need be, and a dependable supply chain for protective gear among emergency response and healthcare workers.
Cases are blowing up in Brazil, a tropical country. Italy and Spain have nice weary her yet are the worst hit countries in Europe so far.

The virus is hitting warm weather places.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:10 PM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
"Yes. You can still make runs to the grocery or pharmacy or visit a sick, loved one. Those are essentials.

I think you just can't go window shopping at Macy's. Not that you could anyway since they're closing
all their stores until this blows over. If there is a shutdown (which Cuomo is not in favor of).

Like another poster had said, she/he will comply to the shutdown by default because what's to do and
where would you go if everything is closed?

If anything, it'll be spooky out there....

. . . so I'd rather stay put at home............

... and catch up on reading material,

shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, You Tube.

. . .And figure out a way to exercise at home."

". . . . And figure out a way to exercise at home."

my mother used to grab a chair and exercise with Jack LaLane...

Old 03-18-2020, 05:16 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
". . . . And figure out a way to exercise at home."

my mother used to grab a chair and exercise with Jack LaLane...

What shows will you watch ?

Old 03-18-2020, 05:23 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,189 times
https://www.brownstoner.com/brooklyn...-williamsburg/

Boro Park and williamsburg having a lot of coronavirus over 100. Religious Schools aren’t closed. Jeez Louise.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah, that's what I think. That's why I'm focused on building up my immune system so I can fight it & recover.
What are you doing to built up your immunity?

Old 03-18-2020, 05:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm honestly not worried about you and I mean that in a good way

You're good Bro no matter the outcome

We all are in this together, bx is right

Airborne is more concerned with his family then himself. Noble quality.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM

855 posts, read 452,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Cases are blowing up in Brazil, a tropical country. Italy and Spain have nice weary her yet are the worst hit countries in Europe so far.

The virus is hitting warm weather places.
SE Asia is warmer than underwear in August but is doing well keeping the numbers infected down.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/corona...ity-confirmed/

Old 03-18-2020, 05:40 PM

515 posts, read 526,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
https://www.brownstoner.com/brooklyn...-williamsburg/

Boro Park and williamsburg having a lot of coronavirus over 100. Religious Schools aren’t closed. Jeez Louise.
Do they have their own hospitals too? If they do, then they can do whatever they want as long as they stay away from other NYers.
If they don't, since they feel like having weddings of 200+ people and still sending their kids to school probably spreading the virus, any of their people who get to the point of hospitalization should not be allowed in our hospitals since they rather not follow the rules of social distancing.

Wasn't it this community whose kids were spreading measles or something like a year or two ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City