Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Geezus, let your ideology or political biases effect your health or the health of someone else. Way to go.
Meh, leave it

If anything else dealing with ppl's high anxieties are prolly more consuming

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are examples of countries that have bucked that trend and have had their rate of recovery far outpace their rate of transmission. You don't necessarily have to drive things off the cliff, especially if there's been decent evidence in other countries that there are other ways to manage this, and especially if it's true that it does not transmit as easily once the weather gets warmer.
The one country I really can't figure out is Japan. It was one of the earliest to have a problem, and the US put out a level 2 warning about traveling there. Yet, seemingly people just didn't get sick. Why??

I didn't hear of them instituting any draconian measures like the ones here and in China and Europe.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:07 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The one country I really can't figure out is Japan. It was one of the earliest to have a problem, and the US put out a level 2 warning about traveling there. Yet, seemingly people just didn't get sick. Why??

I didn't hear of them instituting any draconian measures like the ones here and in China and Europe.
Coronavirus in Japan: why is the infection rate relatively low?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2020, 05:07 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh, leave it

If anything else dealing with ppl's high anxieties are prolly more consuming
It's true. People are anxious and anger makes them feel better.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I found this interesting, more for how each country dealt with it than the numbers (well, maybe the relationship between the two.) Maybe instead of locking down everything, we need massive testing, and only locking down the infected. Then again, it may be too late for that.

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/st...00160110907395

Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:

Supposedly it's because of under testing, but it's probably also because things like using masks if you're sick (and if you're not, as my friend's wife uses a mask whenever she doesn't want to put on makeup) is already pretty common. Japan is supposedly one of the East Asian countries that's doing just okay, especially if they are under testing and don't have as large a grasp on how the spread is going.

Taiwan and South Korea are often cited as governments that responded more quickly and effectively. I'm not South Korean, and I already mentioned what I know of it in a previous post, but I do follow a lot of media from Taiwan and the government acted fast. It's got one of the deepest economic ties to China and there was a lot of back and forth. The country had cases early on and solely one death so far which was in the early days before they figured out what they were dealing with. That's one death out of 20 million people and hit early. Probably helps the VP of the country is an actual epidemiologist who did his graduate work at Johns Hopkins.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Cuomo gave a press conference around 10:30 this morning telling people to go out to the city and state parks for fresh air and to enjoy themselves and their time with their families. He pretty much gave BDB the finger again.
This. He basically said only a state official can declare that, not the state's mayor.
And he's not even thinking about it.
Shade.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
I don't have any problem complying, especially if it's similar to San Francisco's shelter in place order. Here is a FAQ about theirs:

Can I still go outside for essentials, exercise and fresh air? (This is for San Francisco)

Yes. People will still be able to leave their homes to handle essential business in limited circumstances — like buying groceries or picking up medicine — and to get fresh air.
So, it's basically on an honor system.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:18 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
Because 12,469 Deaths from 60 million infected is 0.02%
Covid-19 Has much higher death rate.
I get that, but we are attacking this HARD CORE unlike the Non-Attack we did in this country for H1N1. There will be a huge difference here.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:19 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
So, it's basically on an honor system.
Yep. People here whipping themselves up like Mel Gibson in Brave Heart " They can never take my freedom " have me both amused and disturbed. This need to feel aggrieved. This need to feel tough is masking a deep sense of fear. It's scary I guess. Then they watch and read about it more and more. Some folks need to take a chill pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City