Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It’s not “macho war talk”. It’s history, and precedent. If you don’t understand that collapsing major economies leads to war, I can only conclude that you’ve never opened a history book. Ever. Not even the first page.
Oh this is depressing. What was it you fought us the other day " Embrace the Suck " ? Cause we all will soon. I can't anticipate any raises can you for a few years. All that seems foolish now, right. Hope all this negative talk is premature or wrong. Imagine a flu did this with a relatively low death rate. Imagine if the death rate was ten percent higher

Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The economic damage ( especially to NYC) is already going to be so severe I’m not sure even calling it off in a few more weeks will mean that much. And there is really almost no reason to believe that the parts of the country relatively unaffected so far aren’t just a few weeks behind NY. Would you be totally surprised if in 2 or 3 weeks more states aren’t shutdown rather than less?

And where in the name of god is all the money for these bailouts going to come from? They are going to have to devalue the dollar and hundreds of municipalities are going to go bankrupt.
How safe do you feel your NYC pension is now because I don’t think I feel sure about mine at all.
Re: pensions the feds can take over bankrupt pension funds. But they will pay out a fraction of what the pension was going to be.

But that’s a future worry, not about immediate problem worry.

People are dying. Stopping the deaths are way more important than someone’s pension or other retirement investments. This underscores the importance of social security.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Re: pensions the feds can take over bankrupt pension funds. But they will pay out a fraction of what the pension was going to be.

But that’s a future worry, not about immediate problem worry.

People are dying. Stopping the deaths are way more important than someone’s pension or other retirement investments. This underscores the importance of social security.
Of the entire social safety net. Of health insurance. Of FDIC, of Federal legislation on Banks.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Of the entire social safety net. Of health insurance. Of FDIC, of Federal legislation on Banks.
All those things yes. This hit the United States alone much harder than hurricanes, earthquakes, or 9/1- as these were localized events.

Severe damage to the world economy and our way of life.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
You can see how unhealthy states are having higher death rates now. LA and GA now 16 a piece, meanwhile Colorado has only 5. Those states are on reverse ends of the health spectrum. Numerous deaths in LA/GA in their 40s with underlying conditions, I'm assuming diabetes.
All those people need to stay the **** inside or it's going to be mass casualties in states where they are not taking this seriously. By the time they can't deny there's a problem anymore it'll be a freight train that'll make Italy look like paradise

Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

Severe damage to the world economy and our way of life.
Correct. and the damage to the economy will be permanent in many industries.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
All those people need to stay the **** inside or it's going to be mass casualties in states where they are not taking this seriously. By the time they can't deny there's a problem anymore it'll be a freight train that'll make Italy look like paradise
I think that’s going to happen now. All those idiots just has to go spring break, spread disease around Florida and then bring that crap back to their home states. Jerks. This is not a time for travel.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I think that’s going to happen now. All those idiots just has to go spring break, spread disease around Florida and then bring that crap back to their home states. Jerks. This is not a time for travel.
I wonder if people still think this is all a hoax ?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Not as people they know personally get sick and have to be tested. The closer it gets to home the more real it becomes.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Or the idea that it's just a flu or that the power of this or that religion can heal them if they congregate and pray hard enough. All pretty bad and the US is pretty primed for this kind of escapist thinking. I mean, look at the wonderful conspiratorial flights of fancy we've had on just this thread. There are some pretty radically unreasonable people out there and they are very convinced they know what's what.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-21-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City