Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 03:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointoviewz View Post
This was never worth tanking the economy over. With all that's known about it, with the minuscule number of people who passed away from it and conversely, with all the people who got it that turned out to be just fine - all the hype isn't worth it. Crime will skyrocket here in NYC. No question about that.
800 died in Italy Saturday. Not a small number of people. In a short period of the over 4000 dead in Italy. The US has 320 deaths and those are set to explode....

Crime did not explode in China, or European nations as a result of shutdown. If you feel this way you might consider moving.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. It would have been much more likely for this to happen after 2008. This is an externality. It may be happening in NYC, but it wasn't caused by NYC. Once this is over, not much will change.
Oh, everything has already changed. Governments have taken over private property in Europe abd in the US. A Republican President has launched a massive bailout out the public and businesses that will lead to massive social services spending. Now that contagion among homeless has the power to infect and reinfect people, they are rushing to house them. Once they are houses they will not be put back out on the streets. Yes, this is the end if the world economy has we know it.

Governments have gained considerable additional powers as a result of this. That’s permanent.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think we are going to see more desperation out there very soon. I went out this evening around 10 to get cash and on my way back, almost near my building, a guy approaches me with "Excuse me, miss" This NEVER HAPPENS on my little side street. It's a very quiet residential street with nothing going on whatsoever except coop buildings. No retail, no nothing.

I was pretty surprised, and just did my NY thing of pretending I didn't hear him. But I was a little shaken. I guess he was probably going to ask for money, although he was just walking down the street and not standing and begging (which would be a mistake on that street since at 10 pm most people are in bed and the street is deserted, at least in quarantine times like these).
The person who said excuse me to you did he follow you or threaten you ? Or were you unsettled because people are not normally on your block and that unnerved you ? It's scary times and yes, desperation will arise if food is scarce and resources are not available to people. However are we are not in that place yet, and perhaps we are spooked. We have not yet arrived at a place of social dystopia and law and order has not collapsed. If you notice in the past during the best of times people on this board often discuss their fear of being victims of crime and the coming of criminal gangs coming to get you and their families ? This board often exhibits deep fear and hostility towards people they feel are out to get then. Well yes, we live in a world that is uncertain and every day can be out last, so take precautions as we should all do. We should all be mindful to be careful. Yet, I'm sure you will be fine. I'm sure we will all get thru this. Fear has a way of making us irrational and nervous and at times like this let us not be fearful where we panic ourselves needlessly. Have a peaceful Sunday. Peace to you and God bless

Old 03-22-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
Long time New Yorkers know that we've had enormous financial clout on a national scale. Over the last 40 years, we made parts of Florida the 6th Borough. That's because our real estate was so valuable. Retirees were assured of the good life when they retired to Boca Del Vista, Phase 3.

Fast forward 60 days and beyond. I'm beginning to think those of us who have metro NYC real estate will see our values plummet and the market of potential buyers shrivel up. Many of us will expire before things turn around.

A re-ordering will take place. Will the cities empty out? I'm not sure. But I'm also thinking that globalization as we know it is over. Maybe we ought to focus on the USA, building up our country, our manufacturing and agricultural bases. It's a total disgrace that we don't make our medications, effing masks and countless other items. Relying on others is OVER. The great national calling for todays young adults is to rebuild our country. So much of the recent military adventurism has been an obscene squandering of resources, this from someone who served and is beyond resentful of how it's played out. After a decade of prosperity and we as a nation are more in debt than ever!!!!
Totally, it’s the end of tourism. Who wants a bunch of disease spreading scum to just descend on where you live. It won’t end travel but people will be very leery of tourism.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Totally, it’s the end of tourism. Who wants a bunch of disease spreading scum to just descend on where you live. It won’t end travel but people will be very leery of tourism.
Perhaps but perhaps not. After this is is has taken it's course I have a wedding anniversary my wife and I wanted to celebrate big. We were going to go to Spain this summer. But as soon we are able we will like to go to Europe or at least back to PR for our special day. Life will begin to return to normal just that the new normal will be diferent.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:11 AM

This thread has become like an ink blot of our greatest fears. Fear is contagious and can get irrational and perpetuate itself. This board over the years for me has seen hundreds of threads with the theme of " We are not safe, savage people are out there and going to get us ". Under the best of days people on this thread feared and fear mongered to I guess in some way gather together and make themselves fear together and thus feel better. Fear is contagious and after we take wise precautions to protect ourselves, fear will be paralyzing and have us afraid or hostile to people who offer us no harm. I fear that along with crime rising, the rise of innocent people being attacked or killed for looking scary or being a stranger in a neighborhood where they have to walk to because of legitimate reasons. Keep your cool folks. Perhaps it could be you some one irrationally is afraid of.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:56 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
There have been posts by people in the last few days, threads, that were closed here by baby boomers calling for people to gather to protest in time square to protest or to simply defy stay at home ordinances. My point was to those lambasting millenials that dumb is in all generations. Being old does not make you wise and being young doesn't make you selfish. It's your individual values.

This!!!

Question for the thread...I read a title that said something about parking in NYC being shut down like in garages, for example. I'm assuming this would be to dissuade people from leaving their homes. This isn't real, is it? I skimmed through the article and couldn't find anything to support the title, and so maybe it was just misleading. I can't believe that such a thing could happen due to essential workers who drive to work.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
The person who said excuse me to you did he follow you or threaten you ? Or were you unsettled because people are not normally on your block and that unnerved you ? It's scary times and yes, desperation will arise if food is scarce and resources are not available to people. However are we are not in that place yet, and perhaps we are spooked. We have not yet arrived at a place of social dystopia and law and order has not collapsed. If you notice in the past during the best of times people on this board often discuss their fear of being victims of crime and the coming of criminal gangs coming to get you and their families ? This board often exhibits deep fear and hostility towards people they feel are out to get then. Well yes, we live in a world that is uncertain and every day can be out last, so take precautions as we should all do. We should all be mindful to be careful. Yet, I'm sure you will be fine. I'm sure we will all get thru this. Fear has a way of making us irrational and nervous and at times like this let us not be fearful where we panic ourselves needlessly. Have a peaceful Sunday. Peace to you and God bless

This forum along with the Atlanta one I feel is representative of the country **regarding them constantly living in fear. I do notice that when I was abroad, the citizens were not always fearful/paranoid about sh**.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps but perhaps not. After this is is has taken it's course I have a wedding anniversary my wife and I wanted to celebrate big. We were going to go to Spain this summer. But as soon we are able we will like to go to Europe or at least back to PR for our special day. Life will begin to return to normal just that the new normal will be diferent.
Exactly. This summer may not happen for a trip to Spain. All hotels are currently closed. Obviously the epidemic will end, but things will be very different.

However, the suffering people had to endure from this is very real and long lasting. Trauma does not just go away and certainly not on this scale.

Spain has closed all hotels and vacation rentals. Even before the epidemic Spaniyards were starting to hating mass tourism and voted in a hard left government that was beginning to curtail tourism. This government has ordered all vacation rentals closed. The European Union has authorized unlimited spending for the entire EU. This is important to note because Spain only so heavily promoted tourism because of the 2008 economic collapse. In order to make products from Southern Europe competitive, they needed to devalue the euro. Germany was opposed. So to make up for the lack of money coming in the Mediterranean turned to mass tourism with Spain becoming second to France in tourist visits. Only with this collapse Germany itself is on board with devaluing the euro. So as they ramp up printing money, they’ll ramp up domestic production/manufacturing. It’s the end of globalism, as another poster said.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:16 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I took a short solitary walk yesterday afternoon. I didn't see too many people out and about. But I did circle around the outside perimeter of a small local park and did see a few families with children there and a few people in the basketball court (but it looked like a family or an adult with a couple of middle school children). Hopefully people are starting to understand the need for social distancing and no large crowds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City