Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

Just spreading some emerging realizations of what works well, what works less so...

Asia may have been right about coronavirus and face masks, and the rest of the world is coming around

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/...hnk/index.html

Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Exactly. Just because a poster is a NY’er don’t make them more knowledgable than a non-NY’er. With how many brain dead narrowminded NY’ers walking around out there everyday, being a NY’er is no longer anything to be proud of.

tenaciously defending and covering up your ignorance is not a good path forward in life...if you care about a good path forward in your life...

Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Flu season starts October 1 ,2019-end of April 6 months period

NYC has 75,000 flu cases in almost 6 months it been trending down past two weeks 500-700 case per week so I predict almost 78,000 by April 30. There been over 1,000 deaths for flu in city so far this flu season

New York state had 4,749 deaths as a result of influenza and pneumonia in 2018, according to the Centers for Disease Control (statistics for 2019 were not available). The New York City Department of Health said that roughly 2,000 of those deaths happen within the five boroughs every year.

NY state has little over 156,000 flu seasons in almost 6 months

https://nyshc.health.ny.gov/web/nyap...te-flu-tracker

Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
This is the NYC subforum. Let's not turn this into another Politics and Other Controversies forum.

What is your neighborhood like during the shelter in place? Is it easy to keep the proper distance? I'll start first. In Forest Hills near the gardens, it's very easy to keep distance when taking a walk. The supermarkets are a different story. Trader Joe's has a line out the door to maintain the distance. Other local supermarkets are just too small. Stop and Shop is the only one where you can maintain 6 feet since it's more like a supermarket you find in the suburbs.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Coronavirus is dealier than flu if anyone downplaying it 6 months of flu stats just little over one month.

March 1-April New York City COVID-19 cases rise to almost 45,000, death toll rises to 1,139 it took flu almost 6 months to get 1,000 deaths and NY state has around 180,000 cases and over 1500 deaths.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
tenaciously defending and covering up your ignorance is not a good path forward in life...if you care about a good path forward in your life...
I hardly posts here until yesterday and today and when I did post, it was hardly anything that could be ignorant.

You on the other hand posts endlessly over and over bashing Trump with mostly inaccurate info that you gathered from biased Leftist media sources.

And you should be the one talking about good path in life. Your responses to me have plenty of hate and insults. You should take your own advice.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I hardly posts here until yesterday and today and when I did post, it was hardly anything that could be ignorant.

You on the other hand posts endlessly over and over bashing Trump with mostly inaccurate info that you gathered from biased Leftist media sources.

And you should be the one talking about good path in life. Your responses to me have plenty of hate and insults. You should take your own advice.

does he not deserve my criticisms?

why are you offended by my criticizing him for his spreading false hunches, poor judgement, and tardy response in protecting Amercians from this crisis??

Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
does he not deserve my criticisms?

why are you offended by my criticizing him for his spreading false hunches, poor judgement, and tardy response in protecting Amercians from this crisis??
For one thing, it is untrue because Trump was one of the first to even talk about it:

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...639339520?s=20

And you have no idea what steps he was preparing to make behind the scenes. I said this before but you ignore anyway but he had to keep the country calm publicly but he was definitely making plans like banning travel from the outbreak countries. He couldn’t do it too early or else the Left would attack him for being overreactive, which they did anyway.

Second, you repeat it like for weeks now. I ignored it but when you started to attack me, then I am going to engage you on it.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is the NYC subforum. Let's not turn this into another Politics and Other Controversies forum.

What is your neighborhood like during the shelter in place? Is it easy to keep the proper distance? I'll start first. In Forest Hills near the gardens, it's very easy to keep distance when taking a walk. The supermarkets are a different story. Trader Joe's has a line out the door to maintain the distance. Other local supermarkets are just too small. Stop and Shop is the only one where you can maintain 6 feet since it's more like a supermarket you find in the suburbs.
Thanks for getting us back on the right track.

In Jackson Heights, a number of restaurants have closed but some are still open for takeout and delivery. Same goes for groceries and supermarkets. The regular chains (which are really not very good in JH even on a good day) are still open, like C Town, Key Food, Foodtown. A few of the smaller ones have closed like Downtown Natural, which is an organic market, and also Patel Brothers, the big Indian store, closed all of its 57 stores nationwide.

I have heard these closures have made shopping in a place like Foodtown more crowded, so I'm avoiding pretty much everything in Jackson Heights these days, except I plan to place an order at Stand Alone Cheese, which has high end cheeses, smoked fish, pasta, olives, chocolate, bread, etc. and they offer a contact-less pickup. I have a heightened sense of paranoia because I'm so close to Elmhurst Hospital so for me I feel better not being out in the neighborhood much.

Yesterday I drove to Shoprite in College Point for a big grocery run. It was not particularly crowded with shoppers, although in the produce area particularly it's hard to avoid getting within a few feet of people. Also the produce was severely picked over, despite the rest of the store being mostly fine. Most of the other aisles only had one to two shoppers and it was easier to navigate. They do have tape on the floors for checkouts and it was easy to stay 6 feet from people there. The cashiers have plastic shields so they have less exposure to customers (and them to us).

I recognize it's not going to be easy for most people to get to College Point, though. You def. need a car.

Someone put together a map of restaurants and cafes that are open in Western Queens here. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...574999997&z=13

Maybe other neighborhoods could start the same.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

Yeah. The supermarkets are the worst. There's no way people are staying 6 feet apart. People will cut in front of the line thinking there's a space if you do. Pharmacies, bakeries it's easy. Not the supermarkets. And some are so small. Nope. Can't do it. Everywhere else. Yeah, it's easy to keep your distance.

I haven't been on the subway since the first days of early March so don't know how possible it is to keep one's distance on the subway car. I've been wondering how things have been on the 7, N and 1 lines. Those are the lines I use the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City