Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:25 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,207,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Maybe "it's not your fault", but "you" have more to lose than they do when they make bad choices like taking mass transit in a pandemic.

That's exactly right. And the subways are still jammed packed with people who are still spreading the virus and not getting tested because their symptoms aren't affecting them as badly as the virus might affect someone else they spread it too. They are not wearing gloves or masks or anything else.

Cuomo THINKS the PLATEAU is near because hospitals are releasing more people then they are admitting but he can't manage to connect the fact that is because nurses and caretakes are quitting, getting sick themselves and boycotting so there aren't enough people to care for new admissions and they are not discharging CURED patients - they are only discharging patients that no longer need ICU and telling them to self treat at home PLUS insurance will not continue paying for them to stay in the hospital. It is indicative o nothing.

Then he says - well, if you test negative you can go back to work. Seriously? Because we were smart enough to stay in the house instead of running around like nothing is wrong and were able to keep our family safe - our reward is to go out there - back into the workplace and on mass transit and risk our good health to keep the economy going? Since when did healthy people enlist in the front lines? That kind of idiotic thinking assures that whoever thus far has managed to stay healthy - will get sick and start to infect their entire household. And where is the scientific proof that you can not get reinfected?

Old 04-05-2020, 10:27 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
City living: all parking should be free right now for people who have to work at hospitals, grocery stores, major delivery services, government, etc. That’s another clearly common sense decision that our overlords won’t make because it doesn’t fit their politics.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
their symptoms aren't affecting them as badly as the virus might affect someone else they spread it too.

There you have it. Or maybe they don't care if they fall seriously ill once they weighed the costs and benefits (to them, of course). They won't bike or walk for someone else's benefit.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:42 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Actually its the opposite. The site has nearly zero interaction. My daughters are in classrooms with only 4-5 other kids and mostly remain at their desks, even for lunch. Oddly enough, they are loving it though. The gym “class” is a virtual class from my step-daughter’s school. My wife didn’t want her going, so she stays home.
The kids going to the an actual physical location, not that they are physically interacting much, are the ones going to the first responder's site or am I misunderstanding this?

Old 04-05-2020, 10:43 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,368,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A friend of mine who still has to ride 3-4x a week said the panhandlers have gotten extremely aggressive. First of all, they are not making nearly the same money as they were before, so they are desperate. And second, if you are one of only a few people on each train car, it's very easy for the panhandler to zero in on you and harass you. No longer can you get lost in the crowd and hope they move on to someone else.

At least this is how she described it to me. I think she rides off hours so she's likely to encounter some very empty train cars; I know from pics and anecdotes that some are still riding in somewhat full cars. Guess it depends on the line and the time of day.
Here is my experience. My train is generally not super crowded where I am riding; however, because a different train is no longer operating at all, everyone gets on at the major "hub" to get on my train and the train I am riding is running on a different line all together---wouldn't you know, it's the train they aren't operating! So then I have to transfer at another major hub (along with half of the train) to get on another train to get to work. So even trains that weren't crowded where I am riding are now full.

I used to always work off-peak too but my schedule is altered now due to the virus. I am lucky that I have been getting a ride home when I am assuming the trains are less crowded. I did see one hobo (same guy over a couple of days) asking people for change and he had a giant bottle of dish soap in his pocket.

I still find that most people are trying to behave. Covering their faces, wearing gloves, staying away from each other (when it's possible) so I don't think people are that awful about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
City living: all parking should be free right now for people who have to work at hospitals, grocery stores, major delivery services, government, etc. That’s another clearly common sense decision that our overlords won’t make because it doesn’t fit their politics.
I agree. But no, instead they still have people walking around, trying to write parking tickets. They must be hurting $$$.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:52 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The kids going to the an actual physical location, not that they are physically interacting much, are the ones going to the first responder's site or am I misunderstanding this?
Yes. I have two daughters and a step daughter. My two daughters are going to the site because my ex is still working (as am I). They could come here, but it would be too much for my wife. My step daughter stays home with her since she isn’t working anyway.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Where is the hand sanitizer made in jail Cuomo promised us?

Well - he released all the felons BEFORE the pandemic started remember? He also said that Judges can not issue bonds anymore and must RELEASE the accused on the own. Plus he said that from now on - witnesses and complainants are no longer protected so there are less people reporting crimes.Thus, the prisons are being emptied out. Oh - and he now, of course, wants to give the right to felons to vote by the time he is up for reelection. So. LOL. Soon, the victims will be making sanitizers for the criminals.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy/...by-coronavirus

April 2

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the states that lead the country in unemployment spikes are mostly the same high-population states that have seen the largest number of coronavirus diagnoses to date. More than 1 million Californians filed initial claims last week and the week prior. More than 446,000 New Yorkers did the same, according to data from the Labor Department and the Economic Policy Institute.

The states with the largest number of jobless claims are also many of the same states that adopted aggressive social distancing measures, as governors have shut down non-essential businesses and, in some cases, issued shelter-in-place measures. Pennsylvania and Ohio are second and third, respectively, in initial jobless claims filed during the past two weeks, trailing only California. Both Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine have been lauded for their decisions to shutter non-essential businesses early in their respective outbreaks.

Spikes in unemployment claims and coronavirus diagnoses have been less severe in a group of more sparsely populated Midwestern and Western states, including the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming.

"The first wave of unemployed workers included retail and restaurant industry workers, with workers of color disproportionately impacted," Rebecca Dixon, executive director of the National Employment Law Project, said in a statement on Thursday. "Now, they are being joined by workers who either cannot telecommute or whose telecommuting jobs were shut down because so much of the economy is shuttered."

City-Data map

Florida and California will soon be skyrocketing - Disney is laying off all its parks workers that are not union. Pretty much the entire county of Orlando was employed by Disney. It will break the UI system in those states.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
... which just goes to show to Trader Joe's that they should open more stores, in all five boroughs of NYC! I doubt there would be any lack of interest.

I wish Trader Joes would just deliver - join Shipt if they can't otherwise figure it out.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:06 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,481,729 times
Per Cuomo today new hospitalizations and ICU numbers are down. Hopefully will keep going down. The number of resolved infections is up big-time as well. Looks like the curve is starting to happen.

Sorry doomsdayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.