Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 7,308 times

Advertisements

Greetings co-op experts,

I'm hot on the trail of a "too-good-to-be-true" type rental listing, a co-op in an outer boro with great transit access. So good that this studio would provide significant cost savings over my current shared apartment in an admittedly extremely expensive nabe.

Strangely, the communications so far with the ostensible "owner" (their words, I am aware you don't really own within a co-op) aren't tripping any of my scam senses, which I wholly expected this to be... I am still wary that an attempt will be made to pull a fast one, but so far there have been mentions of having the super show the apt, letters to management to get approved, signs that this could be legit and not renting out in an under-the-table type of way. Note that I am relatively inexperienced with coops, I did live within one when I was a child briefly, that was in Manhattan and overall a bad experience because it was without approval. Had to be sneaking around all the time because on occasion security/doorman would be asking what we were doing in the building.

So what am I missing? What else could drive such an unbelievably good deal? For example, I am aware that in *buying into* such a building, you should be aware of needed capital repairs and such which could jack up maintenance costs further down the line. C-D "experts" () please advise on what sort of red flags you would be looking for, and what in particular should I be probing on if and when we get down to business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
How unbelievably good is the deal? What neighborhood?

Old 03-13-2020, 11:59 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Will you have to be out of there in a year or two because of subletting restrictions? That tends to push prices down.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:56 AM

63 posts, read 46,207 times
You're comparing an outerborough location to prime Manhattan. There will be sticker shock no matter what type of apartment, but coops do tend to get you more for your money.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Greetings co-op experts,

I'm hot on the trail of a "too-good-to-be-true" type rental listing, a co-op in an outer boro with great transit access. So good that this studio would provide significant cost savings over my current shared apartment in an admittedly extremely expensive nabe.

Strangely, the communications so far with the ostensible "owner" (their words, I am aware you don't really own within a co-op) aren't tripping any of my scam senses, which I wholly expected this to be... I am still wary that an attempt will be made to pull a fast one, but so far there have been mentions of having the super show the apt, letters to management to get approved, signs that this could be legit and not renting out in an under-the-table type of way. Note that I am relatively inexperienced with coops, I did live within one when I was a child briefly, that was in Manhattan and overall a bad experience because it was without approval. Had to be sneaking around all the time because on occasion security/doorman would be asking what we were doing in the building.

So what am I missing? What else could drive such an unbelievably good deal? For example, I am aware that in *buying into* such a building, you should be aware of needed capital repairs and such which could jack up maintenance costs further down the line. C-D "experts" () please advise on what sort of red flags you would be looking for, and what in particular should I be probing on if and when we get down to business?
Just say the name of the CooP and someone here just might know the policy there or even live there that can give you the raw truth.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Any possibility that this is a Mitchell-Lama coop? If so, renting out a unit is strictly forbidden.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:12 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:

but so far there have been mentions of having the super show the apt, letters to management to get approved, signs that this could be legit and not renting out in an under-the-table type of way.
So---if he is having the super show it to you and telling you that you would have to be approved by management, what makes you think it will be a scam? How low is this price for the studio?

Most coops that do allow subletting require the tenant to submit an application to the coop. If you are doing that, then I wouldn't see how the owner could be sneaking around.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:21 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
The Co-op could be fully paid with a low maintenance fee if it is located in the outer borough.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:08 PM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Greetings co-op experts,

omg. What DRAMA......

Old 03-16-2020, 07:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Any possibility that this is a Mitchell-Lama coop? If so, renting out a unit is strictly forbidden.

Sounds likely to be Trump Village. It's a CO-OP yet it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City