Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:23 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldCareLess View Post
NYPD brass won’t require officers to turn in colleagues for racially-biased policing

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...adi-story.html

"The inspector general’s office made several suggestions in the wake of a scathing last June that found the department failed to substantiate a single complaint of biased policing in five years"

Impeccable record for 5 years of non biased policing. Does anyone actually believe this ? Aren't there at least 10 YouTube channels of people recording the finest police department in the world proving otherwise ?

You know someone with a gun ? Report them, well give you money for a conviction.

You know someone with marinuana, running a prostitution ring, doing crime XYZ? Turn them in, capture a conviction and we will pay you!

Dont require your fellow officers of the finest police department to report biased policing.

I bet if you made a biased, racist, insulting comment to officer X him and his buddies would pummel you into the pavement.

Tow my truck and well arrest you
https://youtu.be/Mj0eUvvO7q4

Shut the f up
https://youtu.be/8GqBlVoN008
The following is only my opinion:

Our Police Officers are disrespected and underpaid. They risk life and limb removing turd off New York City streets.
They are under constant harassment and ridicule and most coming from the most crime ridden of neighborhoods.
I travel outside New York quite a bit and police officers are treated with respect and held to high regard. Only
in New York and the Left policies deployed do police officers suffer. When an arrest is made , especially resisting
do I say good riddance. One less skell off the street.

Assimilate or Disintegrate.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 07:10 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The following is only my opinion:

Our Police Officers are disrespected and underpaid. They risk life and limb removing turd off New York City streets.
They are under constant harassment and ridicule and most coming from the most crime ridden of neighborhoods.
I travel outside New York quite a bit and police officers are treated with respect and held to high regard. Only
in New York and the Left policies deployed do police officers suffer. When an arrest is made , especially resisting
do I say good riddance. One less skell off the street.

Assimilate or Disintegrate.....................

They are underpaid, especially in other major U.S. cities. As it relates to NYC, I think...not that this is only true for NYC but it appears reading the forums and from individuals I've talked to that discrimination is rampant. A lot if came/comes in the form of racial profiling. Policies like stop-and-frisk made it very hard for many to feel as if this person is here to protect and be good for a community. I do hear about tickets (very unethical ones) being written like crazy in NYC and especially when it's unwarranted, it does create a situation where the police are being viewed negatively. The city should not depend so much on these tickets as a source of revenue. I know it's not the easiest finding other sources of revenue but requiring a quota system of tickets, arrests, etc. (even if banned in policy it's still being carried out), I feel is unfair for both individuals and the police. The police are made to be the bad guy/woman too much.

The United States in general, but especially NYC, needs to get to a place where the police are seen as peace officers. There's not enough positivity that surrounds the police. They are literally trained to treat citizens as if they are the enemy. It's a big reflection on our culture where we do not see each other as fellow Americans, especially among racial/ethnic lines.

As for the issue of crime, one thing that would help is decriminalizing drug use and handing it over to the medical community to take care of. This would open up resources for the police to go after more serious issues that affect our society (this includes white collar crime not just violent).

We also need to have more preventative measures like counseling, poverty reduction initiatives, etc. Our crime is caused by a lot of societal ills. We need to come up with better solutions as opposed to locking people up for everything and for such a long time. It hasn't worked for decades.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:21 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Policies like stop-and-frisk made it very hard for many to feel as if this person is here to protect and be good for a community. I do hear about tickets (very unethical ones) being written like crazy in NYC and especially when it's unwarranted, it does create a situation where the police are being viewed negatively. The city should not depend so much on these tickets as a source of revenue. I know it's not the easiest finding other sources of revenue but requiring a quota system of tickets, arrests, etc. (even if banned in policy it's still being carried out), I feel is unfair for both individuals and the police. The police are made to be the bad guy/woman too much.
Agree

Quote:
As for the issue of crime, one thing that would help is decriminalizing drug use and handing it over to the medical community to take care of.
Agree

Quote:
This would open up resources for the police to go after more serious issues that affect our society (this includes white collar crime not just violent).
There are already tons of resources dedicated to financial crime. A lot of people use the term "White Collar Crime" to simply say "He/She's rich and I don't like it". Violent crime is dealt with harshly because unlike a stock scam a mugger can and often has taken people's lives. I can earn back money, can't do that if I'm dead....

Quote:
We also need to have more preventative measures like counseling, poverty reduction initiatives, etc. Our crime is caused by a lot of societal ills. We need to come up with better solutions as opposed to locking people up for everything and for such a long time. It hasn't worked for decades.
50-50. Yes, economic opportunity, education and teaching conflict resolution is key to reducing crime, however it should be put the bed the idea that all crime is somehow related to "economic and social factors". How do you explain rape, or the people who get shot over looking at them the wrong way? Personal responsibility goes a long way....

Old 04-11-2020, 09:19 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Agree

Agree

There are already tons of resources dedicated to financial crime. A lot of people use the term "White Collar Crime" to simply say "He/She's rich and I don't like it". Violent crime is dealt with harshly because unlike a stock scam a mugger can and often has taken people's lives. I can earn back money, can't do that if I'm dead....

50-50. Yes, economic opportunity, education and teaching conflict resolution is key to reducing crime, however it should be put the bed the idea that all crime is somehow related to "economic and social factors". How do you explain rape, or the people who get shot over looking at them the wrong way? Personal responsibility goes a long way....
Personal responsibility goes a long way cbut the problem is that people bring up the 5 pillars of black oppression for crime like white supremacy, legacy of slavery, Jim crow, red lining prison pipeline and even male patriarchy.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM

855 posts, read 451,452 times
The idea socio economic situations is what causes violence and crimes is a lie brought to you by left wing Dems.

I have many friends and extended family who grew up and live in poorer former Soviet bloc countries, some still live in houses without indoor toilets yet those villages are some of the safest you can find anywhere. Yet it is severe property compared to what your average Westerner lives like.

Same in many places in Asia. Real poor people who need to grow/raise everything they eat yet crime is also near non existent.

Even in areas where people sell their children due to such extreme poverty you don't see the street gangs, violence, mob beatings to steal someone's shoes, the inability to walk thru a neighborhood because you'll get jumped over your skin color, etc.

That sort of thing is cultural and comes from poor parenting, broken homes and a lack of values.

There's a reason some cultures are quick to pull the victim card while others like many Asians come here, value family and education and ultimately out-earn most everyone else.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:53 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Why are ONLY white people racist? And why are ONLY white people the crooks and thieves in EVERY SINGLE ad on TV or in magazines, dealing with home security, despite real world crime statistics to the contrary?? Political correctness?
Ummm Whites are 72% of the population as of 2010. What do you expect. Most people in American media would be White...

Old 04-11-2020, 03:09 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
The idea socio economic situations is what causes violence and crimes is a lie brought to you by left wing Dems.

I have many friends and extended family who grew up and live in poorer former Soviet bloc countries, some still live in houses without indoor toilets yet those villages are some of the safest you can find anywhere. Yet it is severe property compared to what your average Westerner lives like.

Same in many places in Asia. Real poor people who need to grow/raise everything they eat yet crime is also near non existent.

Even in areas where people sell their children due to such extreme poverty you don't see the street gangs, violence, mob beatings to steal someone's shoes, the inability to walk thru a neighborhood because you'll get jumped over your skin color, etc.

That sort of thing is cultural and comes from poor parenting, broken homes and a lack of values.

There's a reason some cultures are quick to pull the victim card while others like many Asians come here, value family and education and ultimately out-earn most everyone else.
Look at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Blue wall of racial silence-screenshot_20200411-165038_whatsapp.jpg  

Old 04-11-2020, 03:29 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Look at this.
That is a BAD comparison..

Beattyville, KY = 1,206 pop - in the middle of nowhere..
https://www.heartofthekentuckyriver....attyville.html

Windsor Hill, CA = 11,075 pop - located in LOS ANGELES COUNTY...

Old 04-12-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Agree

Agree

Respectfully, there are not a ton of resources dedicated to white collar crime. It's the opposite. Most of the resources go to pursuing street crimes, especially drug possession "crimes." This change occurred in the 80's and has just gotten worse. A lot of agencies due to cuts in the budget don't have enough money to go after much of the crime and tend to go after the ones that affect victims who are wealthy. They will also pursue white collar crimes where the person who committed the crime was sloppy...and so basically very easy to win cases. Btw, white collar crimes does include murder...just not really spoken of in this manner. For example, companies who have been warned repeatedly that this aircraft is not safe for use, this workplace is an accident waiting to happen, etc., and people die as a result, it's murder but it's not classified as such because it's a "victimless crime."

I hear what you're saying about violent crimes as you are indicating murders. I too feel that toward certain violent crimes, there is a lot of leniency in particular regarding individuals who are wealthy and "come from a good family." These men tend to get off or get heavily reduced sentences at the expense of their female victim. Regarding rapes, again we have to consider the amount of resources put into the drug war versus things like rape where a lot of the times there is a huge delay in getting rape kits tested.

I'm not saying that people should just get off after committing violent crimes, but there needs to be more rehabilitation. Most can be rehabilitated and most can change. We will not solve anything by just punishing people. It's a system that doesn't work. Like I said, we need to be looking at preventative measures.

I will agree that there are people in the population who will commit white collar crimes, violent crimes, etc., and might do it repeatedly. These people do not make up the bulk of crimes, however. For them there will have to be different approaches because it's not normal for people to commit crimes repeatedly like that. It either means they were not rehabilitated properly and need more help or there is something mentally wrong with them.

If someone shoots another person for looking at them the wrong way, it could mean they are a psychopath. It shouldn't be so easy for a person to just do this. What it could also show is that this person does not have very high emotional intelligence. For the latter, this is something that can be improved upon with counseling.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
That is a BAD comparison..

Beattyville, KY = 1,206 pop - in the middle of nowhere..
https://www.heartofthekentuckyriver....attyville.html

Windsor Hill, CA = 11,075 pop - located in LOS ANGELES COUNTY...

Yes, good to keep perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City