Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:36 PM

58 posts, read 78,291 times

Advertisements

So as the title says, I have been offered a job in Manhattan just north of the financial district near Tribeca. I originally wanted to be in NYC to have an easier commute and be able to enjoy what the city offers. Main issue is that it's me and my family and after looking at what's available, living in NYC will be a little difficult. I've been looking in Jersey and have read that PATH is a pretty good alternative into NYC, especially considering my job is near the WTC stop station. My question is, would there be a bigger advantage one or the other. Should I try to stay in NYC, or will Jersey offer a better value. Will the commute be much different (places I was looking at in NYC were like harlem, bronx etc. Queens and Brooklyn seem out of my budget). Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:31 AM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Jersey will be cheaper and the commute will be very short. Also you can live in Jersey City or any northern Jersey community for matter across the Hudson and still enjoy what NYC has to offer.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
If you have a family to consider, you should look at the school situation, first, since that can drive a decision. The NYC public school system is varied, and some districts perform well, whereas others have challenges and social challenges for students not familiar with that type of neighborhood school. Queens has one of the highest performing districts in the city, but in NJ, if you want to be close to the PATH train, I would look around Kearny, and drive to the Harrison Station.

Other areas with decent schools, and not too exorbitant prices for rentals would be Leonia and Teaneck in NJ.

In the city, I would look at parts of eastern Queens or Riverdale in The Bronx. Riverdale doesn't have easy train access, but there is the BxM18 express bus that is a Financial District service that runs during rush hours. Some days, the bus is a pain on the return trip to Riverdale, but you have the option of the 2/3 subway to 96th and a transfer to the 1; or, you can take the A to 207th and transfer to a city bus. The bus can have issues when there's traffic headed to The Bronx and New Jersey, since the George Washington Bridge and Yankee Stadium are two of the bottlenecks that affect traffic, as can heavy rain, etc. There is train service to Riverdale from Metro-North, from Grand Central, which is reliable to Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale stations. The subway to Grand Central could help make a more reliable return trip on some heavy traffic days. However, in the morning, and many return nights, the bus is pretty reliable, though it takes about an hour.

In Queens, the QM7 and QM8 express buses serve Lower Manhattan, though the subway options can be easier from Queens. And, from some areas in Queens, you have the option of the LIRR to Penn Station and then the subway. District 25 tends to be more sought in Queens, which includes part of Bay Ridge, and points east to the Nassau County border. However, in that area of Queens, you would need a vehicle, whereas in Riverdale it is possible not to own one if you don't want to keep one, but also not impossible to park one if you do want a vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
The luxury buildings in Jersey City are not any cheaper than Queens or Brooklyn, depending on where you were looking. You can save on NYC taxes if you lived in NJ.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:43 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevst7 View Post
places I was looking at in NYC were like harlem, bronx etc. Queens and Brooklyn seem out of my budget
Curious as to where you're looking in Jersey then. Sounds like NYC isn't going to work out if you have a family if your choices are limited to those. If not far out on the PATH, you'd actually be trading away commute vs coming in from Harlem and the Bronx. School wise, you're going to want private school probably in those areas. I'm assuming you're not looking at Riverdale, Pelham Gardens, Morris Park, etc. if you're saying your budget doesn't work for Brooklyn and Queens.

I'm not discounting those neighborhoods, but I think you're better off in Jersey with your situation.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 9,026 times
Jersey is cheaper and some towns in Jersey have 8 train stops ( Montclair for example). Let me know if you have any questions since I have lived in Manhattan, Jersey City and now MOntclair.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:57 PM

103 posts, read 92,362 times
Quote:
So as the title says, I have been offered a job in Manhattan just north of the financial district near Tribeca. I originally wanted to be in NYC to have an easier commute and be able to enjoy what the city offers. Main issue is that it's me and my family and after looking at what's available, living in NYC will be a little difficult. I've been looking in Jersey and have read that PATH is a pretty good alternative into NYC, especially considering my job is near the WTC stop station. My question is, would there be a bigger advantage one or the other. Should I try to stay in NYC, or will Jersey offer a better value. Will the commute be much different (places I was looking at in NYC were like harlem, bronx etc. Queens and Brooklyn seem out of my budget). Thanks for any help.
It sounds like Jersey will be preferable in your situation. The commute really isn't bad at all and can be pretty comparable to commuting from outer boroughs.

You will also get a larger place in Jersey than you'd be able to get in NYC, which is obv important when you have a family.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:44 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Go to the Jersey forum, but take the time to answer the questions in the "Sticky" at the top of the page so people can help you.

New Yorkers for the most part are clueless about NJ and we get too many idiots posting that they want a four-bedroom house with a big yard, good schools, and a 45-minute commute for $250k. We do not have time machines for them.

There is a wide variety of types of housing and environments in NJ. Generally speaking, a larger house/yard and better schools come with a longer commute.

But, if you give us a budget and what is most important to yiu, people will make suggestions. I myself commuted to lower Manhattan from NJ for almost 40 years.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:30 PM

874 posts, read 454,648 times
Quote:

“I have been offered a job in Manhattan just north of the financial district near Tribeca.

I originally wanted to be in NYC to have an easier commute and be able to enjoy
what the city offers. Main issue is that it's me and my family and after looking at
what's available, living in NYC will be a little difficult.

I've been looking in Jersey and have read that PATH is a pretty good alternative into NYC, especially considering my job is near the WTC stop station.

My question is, would there be a bigger advantage one or the other. Should I try to
stay in NYC, or will Jersey offer a better value. Will the commute be much different

(places I was looking at in NYC were like harlem, bronx etc. Queens and Brooklyn
seem out of my budget). Thanks for any help.”

Doesn’t matter where you live (da Bronx, harlem, queens, jersey – remember the commute
be prepared. you’re going to get ahjida commuting unless you find the dream apt near your job.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Obviously, NJ will be better "value." Maybe you should look at things like space, school districts, and leisure activities, instead of just the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City