Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 03:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times

Advertisements

You are out of luck if she doesn’t leave on her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,363 times
She will leave whenever I ask her to, she is not being hard at all, she is very nice and I want to do the right thing.
At the sometime I cannot pay her rent and give her a free ride.

Ideally I would like to keep the apartment, had it since 2018, its an 8 minute walk to my grandma's and I want to come back there, but financially I cant do it until I have a job in NYC.

My inclination is to do this then,

-Just call up the landlord and give him my 30 days notice as of tomorrow. I'd be responsible for rent through 5/17, subtending already paid April and will give me some of May. Seems like that is my best option.
MAYBE since the landlord has in the past reduced my rent increases and provided the opt out choice for me at my request, he gives me a break, otherwise he has a vacant unit that would be impossible to rent in this environment.

-I could also ask if he would waive May's rent or just take the reduced 400, and if not then give 30 days.

Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2020, 04:09 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
She will leave whenever I ask her to, she is not being hard at all, she is very nice and I want to do the right thing.

Ideally I would like to keep the apartment, had it since 2018, its an 8 minute walk to my grandma's and I want to come back there, but financially I cant do it until I have a job in NYC.

-Just call up the landlord and give him my 30 days notice as of tomorrow. I'd be responsible for rent through 5/17, subtending already paid April and will give me some of May. Seems like that is my best option.
MAYBE since the landlord has in the past reduced my rent increases and provided the opt out choice for me at my request, he gives me a break, otherwise he has a vacant unit that would be impossible to rent in this environment.

-I could also ask if he would waive May's rent or just take the reduced 400, and if not then give 30 days.

Thoughts?
That's actually a very good idea. Just give him the 30 days notice and don't say anything else to him. But before you do this, tell your sub-letter you will be contacting your landlord.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:42 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Alright, she said I can use $400 of her security deposit for May (rent is $2000).

I'm mulling the following:

1. Just paying the landlord $400
2. Talking to landlord and seeing if they have any flexibility

She has no job and her family is pretty much out of money.
I can cancel with 30 days notice anyway my lease.

Perhaps I just talk to landlord and say I can give $400 for May and get out in a month unless we can have some flexibility?
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Congratulations.
Welcome to the world of Landlording..........
With over 20 years experience I have learned two things.

1) Sometimes you eat the Bear
2) Other times the Bear eats you.............

Take what you can.
Tally your losses.
and move on.................

P.S. Big Shout out to all in the Winchester area ...................Nice Town.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:48 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
You need to decide if you want and can afford to keep this apt. If yes, then you need to figure out a way to pay the rent as usual. If not, then you should consider giving your landlord 30 days notice but before that you could ask if there can be any flexibility in the payments due to COVID-19 but that would still mean that you would need to pay all the rent at some point in the near enough future.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You need to decide if you want and can afford to keep this apt. If yes, then you need to figure out a way to pay the rent as usual. If not, then you should consider giving your landlord 30 days notice but before that you could ask if there can be any flexibility in the payments due to COVID-19 but that would still mean that you would need to pay all the rent at some point in the near enough future.
Thats what I will do.
I will:

1) See what, if any flexibility the landlord offers

A. If he doesn't....I will give 30 days

B. If he does then I will
i. I will ask the landlord to give me a few days to see if I can swing this then
-Ask subtenant if she would pay me back at some mutually agreed upon time
a. If she can't do this I will inform her I am giving 30 days

Sounds like a good option?

This really isn't THAT bad a situation, since the tenant is cooperative.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I suggest you have a nice, pleasant, heart-to-heart discussion with the tenant. Explain to her, nicely, that she may end up losing the sublet entirely if you can't work something out. Does she expect to get her job back by summer? Could her parents chip in? For that matter, can your own parents chip in? If you let her stay at half-price for a few months, will she sign an agreement to start paying off the rest by August?

And if you're not willing to give the person a break beyond one measly month, that does not speak well for you, especially since it sounds like you're paying no rent yourself. It sounds unpleasant to me that you seem you be unwilling to make any financial concessions yourself.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM

Alright so I spoke with subtenant:

-She really can only afford $400 of the $2000 for May.
-Without any job, she won't be able to afford anymore.
-We have a month to month agreement
-She was very close to getting a job before Covid
-She is very nice, not giving me a hard time

Spoke to management

-Said pay what I can, work out payment plan later
-I told them I could pay $400
-I take it from what their lawyer posted on facebook https://www.change.org/p/mayor-bill-...676-en-us%3Av2
they are having major issues with tenants paying...hence me/we are ahead of the game by paying in full for April and part of May.

So what is going on/what should I do...way I see it

1) While I technically would be responsible for any balance ($1600 this month and whatever any future months), I get the sense there is going to be some sort of forgiveness.
-Moreover I have been a good tenant for over two years; they cannot evict; and they can't fill my unit

Ideally...
A. My tenant would pay me in full, she would keep the place until I can move back paying rent
B. If she can't pay me, I'd either give her 30 days (or less) to leave but that would mean
i. I would have to vacate the apartment, finding a place for my furniture and losing my apartment which I always wanted to live in again or
ii. Find another subtenant (is that even doable in this market)

or there is option
C. I pay the landlord whatever my subtenant pays me (be it $0 or $1775) indefinitely.
-I do this on a month to month basis, hoping that given my history and the current landscape there is a forgiveness...and I do not lose any of my security deposit and last month's rent (my initial deposit was security+1st month).

Thoughts?

Old 04-29-2020, 01:21 PM

103 posts, read 92,362 times
Quote:
Alright so I spoke with subtenant:

-She really can only afford $400 of the $2000 for May.
-Without any job, she won't be able to afford anymore.
-We have a month to month agreement
-She was very close to getting a job before Covid
-She is very nice, not giving me a hard time

Spoke to management

-Said pay what I can, work out payment plan later
-I told them I could pay $400
-I take it from what their lawyer posted on facebook https://www.change.org/p/mayor-bill-...676-en-us%3Av2
they are having major issues with tenants paying...hence me/we are ahead of the game by paying in full for April and part of May.

So what is going on/what should I do...way I see it

1) While I technically would be responsible for any balance ($1600 this month and whatever any future months), I get the sense there is going to be some sort of forgiveness.
-Moreover I have been a good tenant for over two years; they cannot evict; and they can't fill my unit

Ideally...
A. My tenant would pay me in full, she would keep the place until I can move back paying rent
B. If she can't pay me, I'd either give her 30 days (or less) to leave but that would mean
i. I would have to vacate the apartment, finding a place for my furniture and losing my apartment which I always wanted to live in again or
ii. Find another subtenant (is that even doable in this market)

or there is option
C. I pay the landlord whatever my subtenant pays me (be it $0 or $1775) indefinitely.
-I do this on a month to month basis, hoping that given my history and the current landscape there is a forgiveness...and I do not lose any of my security deposit and last month's rent (my initial deposit was security+1st month).

Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd do option B. Even if you have to find a place for your furniture, the move to a storage facility and monthly storage fees are WAY lower than monthly rent for an apartment you're not living in.

I think you're getting really hung up on this studio in the UES. There are PLENTY of studios and even 1 bedrooms for that price point in UES. Plus, the housing market might crash and you'll find a better apartment for cheaper soon.

There is no reason to get yourself into a financial mess like this over a "sense" that there will be "some sort of forgiveness". For me, it wouldn't be worth the stress at all and I'd want to be free of the whole situation. If your subtenant can't pay, give her and your LL 30 days notice and have your stuff moved to a storage facility until you have the ability to come back to NYC.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM

910 posts, read 753,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Oh boy. If it’s an illegal sublet, you are out of luck. If the person has been there more than a month, they can simply squat there while paying nothing. Especially with that is going on, it will be impossible to get them out if they don’t want to.

I’d probably be nice and see if they leave on their own. If not, the landlord will have to go through the courts for eviction and will likely sue you for the loss. Just pray they leave.
This. It happened to me and I had to evict the roommate. Believe me, it is a nightmare that will completely make you lose all hope in humanity and NYC due to its horrific laws that favor squatters. Hopefully the person you are subleasing to is a decent human being, but I wouldn't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: