Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 06:00 AM

450 posts, read 474,742 times

Advertisements

Chava, after you are done figuring out social distancing in a place like nyc after we open back up, I have this really nice bridge you'd be interested in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 06:43 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is about sticking it to trump and nothing more. Certain states and countries didn't shut down at all and they are doing fine.
Like it or hate it,the following is only my opinion:

The governor and mayor will pay dearly by trying to negotiate release of New York Hostages for Billions in Federal money.
The President does not and will never negotiate with blue Terrorist State politicians................

Old 05-08-2020, 07:02 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Not only do we fare worse staying home, but did you see the new data today he presented? He states that People staying home had HIGHER chance of getting COVID than hospital workers who are around infected people all day!?

What's the big deal you ask?

That means that MASKS, HAND WASHING and PROPER PRECAUTIONS are more effective than sitting at home. You can be around infected people all day (Like the healthcare workers are) but if you properly protect yourself, you have a lower chance of getting infected than sitting home bored with no mask on and being non-productive.

People are lax when it comes to their own environment. My sister and most of her coworkers were around COVID patients non-stop and most of them didn't become ill because they used proper precautions.

I watch all of these people every day doing things that don't make sense. They are wearing gloves on the train. They touch the pole or the seat. Then they touch their phones. Then they touch their stuff. What is the point of wearing gloves? Next thing you know they bring their phone to their faces without washing anything.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:32 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-g...ying-home.html

At this point, what are we doing with this "quarantine" and "lockdown"? Its getting useless. We've "flattened the curve", hospitals are empty, even DeLousy'O is talking about forloughs and layoffs https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/nyc-le...tline-workers/

Its time to stop, we got to get back to work. No more of this non-sense!
OP, if you're laid off and not worried about the virus, then go work. Go be a contact tracer and stop with the whining already.

https://fphnyc.org/about/careers/

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2020, 07:34 AM

Anybody thats laid off and complaining about get back to work and this and that and does not care about catching the virus can go be a contact tracer. There are jobs hiring out there now for ppl who dont care about catching it. I don't see what whining about it will do. Go work.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:18 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
No - again - there's already a thread about this. The gov. is not wrong about the data - but both he and many of you are misinterpreting the results.

Here's what you can ask:

How MANY people (who were "staying at home") were hospitalized the first week of April - and how MANY people were hospitalized just now? And were any people "at home" discouraged - from their primary care dr. - from going to the hospital? And how many of the "at home" people live alone?

Using the percent - as he did - is seriously meaningless. Really. means nothing. He may actually BE right - but it is not possible to draw those conclusions from his data. It's not. Try it.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP, if you're laid off and not worried about the virus, then go work. Go be a contact tracer and stop with the whining already.

Quote:
Anybody thats laid off and complaining about get back to work and this and that and does not care about catching the virus can go be a contact tracer. There are jobs hiring out there now for ppl who dont care about catching it. I don't see what whining about it will do. Go work.
In order for one to become a contact tracer, one must have experience working in the medical of healthcare field. Not everyone has such experience. Hell some in NYC don't even speak a 2nd language as a skill. Not anyone can be a contact tracer. If that's the case, we will see Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny applying for contact tracer positions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/takes-...ry?id=70391242

Old 05-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
No - again - there's already a thread about this. The gov. is not wrong about the data - but both he and many of you are misinterpreting the results.

Here's what you can ask:

How MANY people (who were "staying at home") were hospitalized the first week of April - and how MANY people were hospitalized just now? And were any people "at home" discouraged - from their primary care dr. - from going to the hospital? And how many of the "at home" people live alone?

Using the percent - as he did - is seriously meaningless. Really. means nothing. He may actually BE right - but it is not possible to draw those conclusions from his data. It's not. Try it.
I know group of friends that went to a bar in late February. I was supposed to be there but did not go, some rooftop lounge. Two people out of a group of four started showing early Covid-19 symptoms in early March at the sametime. I also have a friend that lives alone he also caught the virus. He is questioning rather he got it from work, or from going to trader Joe's constantly.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
In order for one to become a contact tracer, one must have experience working in the medical of healthcare field. Not everyone has such experience. Hell some in NYC don't even speak a 2nd language as a skill. Not anyone can be a contact tracer. If that's the case, we will see Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny applying for contact tracer positions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/takes-...ry?id=70391242
Are the classifieds devoid of jobs?

Same website has mulitple positions

Everybody likes making excuses

If the problem is work, then go find a job

Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Are the classifieds devoid of jobs?
Beats me, thier is always the chief btw. Until then some folks should try a job at Buildings Department if they are hiring. Until then, Permits filed. I can take a job from that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: