Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Or even in the US. They can ship all the tech jobs to India.

Oh, wait, they tried that. It didn't work so well.
Actually it did work well. What changed was that recent graduates in the US took positions at much lower wages allowing for the positions to return to the US directly working for companies or working for in-sourcing companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 PM

144 posts, read 163,673 times
working from home is torture. Why should I buy all expensive setup? A solid chair, big monitors, network adapters etc. Also people are like 60% as productive on my team when WFH. Too many distractions. **********. I want to go back to the office. Eventually. Once they are ready to fully reopen. Not going back for some curtailed bull****

Old 05-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
working from home is torture. Why should I buy all expensive setup? A solid chair, big monitors, network adapters etc. Also people are like 60% as productive on my team when WFH. Too many distractions. **********. I want to go back to the office. Eventually. Once they are ready to fully reopen. Not going back for some curtailed bull****
It's not that bad. You just need to get yourself setup so that you're comfortable. Your largest expense will be a chair that you can spend hours in. For that I recommend getting a Flash Furniture HERCULES Series chair.

If you need to purchase your own equipment, then use the following links to shop for deals.

https://slickdeals.net/

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-Dea...de=10158976011

Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

"....encouraging webcam required meetings --- it reinforces work relationships."

Yes…everybody can ZOOM….!

Zoom ‘founder,’ eric, came into the picture just at the right time…

Just as all hell broke loose …

since the beginning, Zoom bombings…

All sorts of creeps busting in on people’s meetings, cozy gatherings, prayer groups,
even preying on children using ZOOM……..

Omg. Zoom guy knew. Cha-ching…

Now, mr yuan is finally helping the FBI. – since the beginning, no one/zoom - still can’t figure out how to stop zoom bombers…
no patch is helping. still going on 2 months.

...and everyone (ma, pa, pastor, teacher, I ‘work from home’ joe executive, oprah windfrey, the prince of whales, tom, dick, harry & little timmy) - they all know...

zoom bombers lurking around – but they still sign up for Zoom service….

Had it all planned out…. (pre) pandemic.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's not that bad. You just need to get yourself setup so that you're comfortable. Your largest expense will be a chair that you can spend hours in. For that I recommend getting a Flash Furniture HERCULES Series chair.

If you need to purchase your own equipment, then use the following links to shop for deals.

https://slickdeals.net/

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-Dea...de=10158976011
I have 500sf apartment with no dedicated home office/area, no desk, nothing. I am confined to my dining table/chair or my couch. May be be WFH is great for those with 5000sf suburban houses who already had a home office with a decent desk, chair, monitors etc. I don't have any of this, nor do I have any desire to pay a single penny of my own money to recreate this setup. I shouldn't have to. In my office i have a hige desk with 4 monitors and an ergonomic chair. It would cost me several thousand dollars to buy this. No way in hell. Companies "allowing" us to work from home should let us take the equipment from the offices. Because we can't even tax deduct these purchases. This is total BS. And, if have to work from home, definitely wouldn't be doing it from a tiny Manhattan apartment!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:28 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:

"I have 500sf apartment with no dedicated home office/area, no desk, nothing.

I am confined to my dining table/chair or my couch. May be be WFH is great for
those with 5000sf suburban houses who already had a home office with a decent
desk, chair, monitors etc. I don't have any of this, nor do I have any desire to pay
a single penny of my own money to recreate this setup.

I shouldn't have to. In my office i have a hige desk with 4 monitors and an ergonomic chair.
It would cost me several thousand dollars to buy this. No way in hell. Companies "allowing"
us to work from home should let us take the equipment from the offices. Because we can't
even tax deduct these purchases. This is total BS. And, if have to work from home, definitely
wouldn't be doing it from a tiny Manhattan apartment!"

"I'm confined..."

…and the twitter people too (500sqft apt, pay for equipment, work on couch)……

Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't say i am wrong ...google it .... your anecdotal experience does not mean that is not how many employers have been handling it , including the company i worked for .... there are endless articles about how employers tend not to pay the same thing for working from remote locations at home and not just now .

studies have shown many workers would be willing to take pay cuts if they could work from home and employers will try to exploit that if they are not already via either cut hours or pay cuts .
Nonsense. Paycuts now are tied to reduced corp revenue, not efficiency.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
"I'm confined..."

…and the twitter people too (500sqft apt, pay for equipment, work on couch)……
Point being.. very few people would like to live in the city and work from home. Those are mutually exclusive desires almost. When you live in Manhattan you accept a tiny living space in exchange to access to public spaces.. offices, building amenities, parks etc. Someone who already WANTED to work from home probably valued his/her private space highly and wouldn't accept this trade off in the first place, e.g. wouldnt be willing to live and work in a place like NYC. People who came to NYC, to work for twitter or not, did no do so in order to enjoy the serenity of their own home. They came to enjoy the city. So they will either go back to the office, find a different city to enjoy or radically change their lifestyle - what kind of idiot wants to permanently WFH from Manhattan? Unless their home is a penthouse with CP views I guess.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I have 500sf apartment with no dedicated home office/area, no desk, nothing. I am confined to my dining table/chair or my couch. May be be WFH is great for those with 5000sf suburban houses who already had a home office with a decent desk, chair, monitors etc. I don't have any of this, nor do I have any desire to pay a single penny of my own money to recreate this setup. I shouldn't have to. In my office i have a high desk with 4 monitors and an ergonomic chair. It would cost me several thousand dollars to buy this. No way in hell. Companies "allowing" us to work from home should let us take the equipment from the offices. Because we can't even tax deduct these purchases. This is total BS. And, if have to work from home, definitely wouldn't be doing it from a tiny Manhattan apartment!
I know a guy who's doing it in a 900 sqft apartment in the city. He built his high desk with wooden 1x12's and cinderblocks and thought outside the box in order to get the rest.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:14 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
Quote:
Point being.. very few people would like to live in the city and work from home. Those are mutually exclusive desires almost. When you live in Manhattan you accept a tiny living space in exchange to access to public spaces.. offices, building amenities, parks etc. Someone who already WANTED to work from home probably valued his/her private space highly and wouldn't accept this trade off in the first place, e.g. wouldnt be willing to live and work in a place like NYC. People who came to NYC, to work for twitter or not, did no do so in order to enjoy the serenity of their own home. They came to enjoy the city. So they will either go back to the office, find a different city to enjoy or radically change their lifestyle - what kind of idiot wants to permanently WFH from Manhattan? Unless their home is a penthouse with CP views I guess.
If you had four monitors then your life was probably in adrenaline mode. Maybe you work in trading & sales or similar , I know that socializing with others matters. The whole routine is now upside down - no gym, no social interaction, no life after work.
So why live in manhattan .. will this be temporary? I think it will come back to the way it used to be, before year end to a larger degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City