Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

You should post in the suburb forums then as there will be more posters familiar with what you’re asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
So not too many white people but just enough white people to make it safe with decent schools. I get it.

It doesn't exist.
You don’t have kids, eh?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:24 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
What your gripe with New Jersey?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:26 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Got post in CT, Long Island, Westchester forums

Old 05-30-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's too good, because it has a Mitsuwa and it really shoves it in your face that the pizza and pastrami there are actually better.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:46 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangcincay View Post
I’m moving from LA as I’d be working on the Wall Street.

Im not really familiar with NYC area, and i’m looking to buy a house in a town with the following criteria:

-Any state except NJ

-Metronorth, i’d settle for somewhere in Nassau LI already if it wasn’t for LIRR, LIRR is out of question, and Penn Station is an abomination. Metronorth and Grand Central all the way.

-quiet, traffic free

-friendly, down to earth, middle class suburb with a strong community.
i’m not really into the preppy neighborhoods if you get what i mean. It’s not the question of budget I just like a normal nice neighborhood. I don’t really need any entertainment within that town, just a decent high school.
In fact i really like that small sleepy suburban community LI offers but then again LIRR (I grew up in CT. Everyone knows everyone and i kind of miss that feel). After all I could always travel downtown if i ever need some fun.

-great place to retire/raise kids.

-not the forest suburban type, more like the Levittown suburban type with a lot of cul de sacs, grids are hideous.

-1 hour or less (ideally 30 mins) including the travel from the station to wall street.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for the best, hassle-free transportation option to downtown Manhattan? Is driving really that awful?
What's your budget???

I don't know why you think Penn Station is an abomination. If you said Port Authority, that would be different.

Your commute time as others have said is totally unrealistic. Hell, you could live IN Manhattan and your commute is going to be at least 30 minutes unless you can walk to work. And I can't believe if you grew up in CT that you don't already know how awful driving in Manhattan is. Best way to get to Wall Street is by ferry or subway. I take the bus but I don't have a timetable to stick to.

I suspect there is a snob factor re NJ but you shouldn't rule it out. You could live near the ferry to Wall Street, which is totally doable (although NOT 30 mins), but very expensive. Public schools in NJ are just as good as the neighborhood you live in. Just like anywhere else. Sad but true.

There are lots of place in LI and NY (Pound Ridge comes to mind) that fit your criteria, but none of them have less than an hour commute.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:15 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
With the exception of PATH from NJ, the commuter trains all end in midtown terminals. You still have to get to Wall Street from one of these terminals and you have to first get to the Metro North station from your house. So door to door is not going to be less than one hour. The closer you live to NYC, the more concrete the area will be with less chance of a quiet sleepy suburban area.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 PM

14 posts, read 19,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Moving to NYC to work on Wallstreet during or directly after a global Pandemic... Great timing

I hope you're being paid $250k+ bare minimum
I know it sounds crazy but at least it’ll start next year.

Last edited by Wangcincay; 05-30-2020 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
What's your budget???

I don't know why you think Penn Station is an abomination. If you said Port Authority, that would be different.

Your commute time as others have said is totally unrealistic. Hell, you could live IN Manhattan and your commute is going to be at least 30 minutes unless you can walk to work. And I can't believe if you grew up in CT that you don't already know how awful driving in Manhattan is. Best way to get to Wall Street is by ferry or subway. I take the bus but I don't have a timetable to stick to.

I suspect there is a snob factor re NJ but you shouldn't rule it out. You could live near the ferry to Wall Street, which is totally doable (although NOT 30 mins), but very expensive. Public schools in NJ are just as good as the neighborhood you live in. Just like anywhere else. Sad but true.

There are lots of place in LI and NY (Pound Ridge comes to mind) that fit your criteria, but none of them have less than an hour commute.
Budget isn’t a problem, I’ll gladly sell my home just to throw more budget in this, as i intend to permanently stay here until retirement.

I live in CT for only the first 7 years of my life. And we don’t travel often, mostly visiting Bridgeport and even that i could count each time we did. I’ve heard how bad traffic could be in NY but i don’t really understand how bad it could be.

I guess i was being unrealistic with the commute time, well then i’ve changed my commute criteria. A good living space worth more to me than short commute time.

Last edited by Wangcincay; 05-30-2020 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-30-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Nothing at all, really. Didn’t mean to offend, just trying to avoid a certain relative in NJ

Last edited by Wangcincay; 05-30-2020 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City