Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:44 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
And I quote....from a "friend's" FB post...."ain't no N-word coming into my neighborhood and destroying what I've worked hard for!!!!!"
So you mean these “racists” would instead allow a white Italian going into their neighborhood and destroying what they worked for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 09:47 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So you mean these “racists” would instead allow a white Italian going into their neighborhood and destroying what they worked for?
Maybe if they framed it in a more inclusive way.....I'd be inclined to think it was about protecting their homes.....instead of keeping the people who don't look like them out.

"I'm not gonna let ANYONE destroy what I've worked hard for".....framed that way, it's not racist....just stupid because no one is coming for your ugly brick multifamily home or marble statue.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:47 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
This is why NYC will be a much less safe place once the Italian-Americans leave the city, as we slowly are. It's a strange NYC thing but Italian neighborhoods morph into Chinese neighborhoods over time. The Chinese are quiet hard working people but they unfortunately let themselves be victimized by street thugs.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe if they framed it in a more inclusive way.....I'd be inclined to think it was about protecting their homes.....instead of keeping the people who don't look like them out.

"I'm not gonna let ANYONE destroy what I've worked hard for".....framed that way, it's not racist....just stupid because no one is coming for your ugly brick multifamily home or marble statue.
No, it has to do with keeping people who don’t live there (regardless of whether one looks like them or not) out for the sake of keeping the peace in their neighborhood. A non white that lives there would be allowed to go in but a white person that did not belong there would not.

Also, if not for the riots, this would not have happened and anyone would have been able pass through freely. So these people did not create this situation, the rioters did.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
This is why NYC will be a much less safe place once the Italian-Americans leave the city, as we slowly are. It's a strange NYC thing but Italian neighborhoods morph into Chinese neighborhoods over time. The Chinese are quiet hard working people but they unfortunately let themselves be victimized by street thugs.
Italian-Americans have their thugs too just like every other race. The fact is that those with money and the opportunity leave the city for better lifestyle or more peace of mind. Race doesn't really come into play of who leaves, as long as someone have the resources and opportunity to do so and they want to, they will.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:04 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
No, it has to do with keeping people who don’t live there (regardless of whether one looks like them or not) out for the sake of keeping the peace in their neighborhood. A non white that lives there would be allowed to go in but a white person that did not belong there would not.

Also, if not for the riots, this would not have happened and anyone would have been able pass through freely. So these people did not create this situation, the rioters did.
K. I can see we are on different pages here. I stated my opinion which was formed based on what I know of the neighborhood, having grown up there and lived 30 of my 41 years there, my mother still lives literally 2 blocks away from the intersection pictured, and seeing tons of FB posts on this very thing. You can think what you want, and I can think what I want. Have a nice day.

Last edited by LizfromtheBronx; 06-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:

Even if we take race out of this...How would they know who lives there and who don't? Are they going to stop every car and ask for ID, or ask where you going and who you going to see? If im going into a residential area and I get stopped by someone in plain clothes that start asking me questions and they have zero authority over me my a$$ not stopping and my a$$ not going to answer any questions. Period!

Growing up in the projects taught me that's how you get set up to be robbed, so keep it moving and answer no questions from strangers.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 06-04-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Even if we take race out of this...How would they know who lives there and who don't? Are they going to stop every car and ask for ID, or ask where you going and who you going to see? If im going into a residential area and I get stopped by someone in plain clothes that start asking me questions and they have zero authority over me my a$$ not stopping and my a$$ not going to answer any questions. Period!

Growing up in the projects taught me that's how you get set up to be robbed, so keep it moving and answer no questions from strangers.
Because people know each other. If you live there, your neighbors know you and you know them. Is this even a serious question?

Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
K. I can see we are on different pages here. I stated my opinion which was formed based on what I know of the neighborhood, having grown up there and lived 30 of my 41 years there, my mother still lives literally 2 blocks away from the intersection pictured, and seeing tons of FB posts on this very thing. You can think what you want, and I can think what I want. Have a nice day.
You attributed the gathering to racism but failed to prove that it was. Not to say there aren’t racism among people but this whole get together was not done based out of racism. It was done based on keeping trouble out of their neighborhoods. Like I said, if some nonwhite person that lived there was allowed in, then your racism claim is false.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:51 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Good for them. You better believe that they will be attacked as white Italian supremacists now.

I want to make one thing clear: I will never invest in the inner cities or in these blue, out of control cities during these times. Even if my physical property was safe, I'd have to worry about the "cancel culture" seeking to bankrupt me because I don't adhere to the far left line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City