Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:24 AM

88 posts, read 84,811 times

Advertisements

I moved back to Inwood, near Dyckman a few years ago, I knew it was stupid, but I didn't have much time, now this area is out of control again, with partying all the time during lockdown, rude and loud people all over, and 'restaurants' that think they own the neighborhood.
The lockdown has not scared the locals on Dyckman into social distancing, mask wearing etc, and I really need to move for my mental health.

My lease is up at the end of July, and I don't have the money to move yet, I can get it, but the situation is that if i stay, i'm locked for a year, at a higher rent, which is not something I want. I feel like I could ask for a month or two extension, and hope... although my income will fall until my restaurant opens again....
It's a mess... half of me wants to just stop paying rent until i can have enough to move, but that's not cool... staying here is not cool either, and i've had several issues with the restaurants on the corner, including one ending in me being assaulted by a bouncer a few years back.

I really really hate living here... rents are coming down, but in this situation, I have no idea what to do... I make a good living as a bartender, but I don't have anything but unemployment until September or October when we reopen.

I apologize if I'm venting, but I'd just like to see what solution any of you have for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:26 AM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
It’s hard to know what your options are. Do you have close family or friends you can stay with in this time period? That seems to me like the best, first step if possible.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Look for towns in the south, most states down there have opened up and no issues like here in NYC.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:45 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,309,125 times
Learn to live close to the vest. As a bartender you can move almost anywhere. This covid thing is rough on everyone. You might find more peace in a smaller town out of state when things start to clear up.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 AM

169 posts, read 87,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
I moved back to Inwood, near Dyckman a few years ago, I knew it was stupid, but I didn't have much time, now this area is out of control again, with partying all the time during lockdown, rude and loud people all over, and 'restaurants' that think they own the neighborhood.
The lockdown has not scared the locals on Dyckman into social distancing, mask wearing etc, and I really need to move for my mental health.

My lease is up at the end of July, and I don't have the money to move yet, I can get it, but the situation is that if i stay, i'm locked for a year, at a higher rent, which is not something I want. I feel like I could ask for a month or two extension, and hope... although my income will fall until my restaurant opens again....
It's a mess... half of me wants to just stop paying rent until i can have enough to move, but that's not cool... staying here is not cool either, and i've had several issues with the restaurants on the corner, including one ending in me being assaulted by a bouncer a few years back.

I really really hate living here... rents are coming down, but in this situation, I have no idea what to do... I make a good living as a bartender, but I don't have anything but unemployment until September or October when we reopen.

I apologize if I'm venting, but I'd just like to see what solution any of you have for this?
I would ask for an extension, explain your situation and if you’ve been a good tenant who pays on time I think they would be foolish to let you go unless they have other prospects lined up already. You could also ask to keep the rent the same and sign another one year lease (I know you hate it there though). I think there is much more flexibility with this pandemic, they may not be able to rent your place so quickly so keeping you at the same rent might make sense for them. Where is your restaurant? Would you consider living in other boroughs? Sounds like you need a quiet, residential street.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:03 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Excerpt: I really really hate living here..

Response:
There is nothing that you can say that would justify those words you stated. Unhappiness will surround you until you make the MOVE...

You can either suck it up and continue tolerating B.S. or go for broke by leaving the City and trying else where.

Try an outer borough if you think leaving the state is to intimidating. At least Mass Transit will get you to your job whereever it is but as far
as Inwood goes......sounds like you have had enough.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:19 AM

I think a one month extension is the best possibility, I could move out of the city, but I have a good job here, just not for a few more months..
Rents must be coming down, vacancies are up more than ever, I think I could get a similar deal in Astoria, or pay a little more for Hells Kitchen or Upper West Side.
I have a cousing in Fort Lauderdale, but as someone who's been here 25 years, it's not easy to just pick up and go, and i have a partner... I'm just stressed as hell and looking for opinions, thanks on all the opinions given so far, very useful

Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: I really really hate living here..

Response:
There is nothing that you can say that would justify those words you stated. Unhappiness will surround you until you make the MOVE...

You can either suck it up and continue tolerating B.S. or go for broke by leaving the City and trying else where.

Try an outer borough if you think leaving the state is to intimidating. At least Mass Transit will get you to your job whereever it is but as far
as Inwood goes......sounds like you have had enough.
When I say I hate it, it's Dyckman, not NYC in general, I'm sick of NYC often, but this neighborhood, plus lockdown has made it obvious that i have the worst neighbors in manhattan

Old 06-18-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Gut Job View Post
I would ask for an extension, explain your situation and if you’ve been a good tenant who pays on time I think they would be foolish to let you go unless they have other prospects lined up already. You could also ask to keep the rent the same and sign another one year lease (I know you hate it there though). I think there is much more flexibility with this pandemic, they may not be able to rent your place so quickly so keeping you at the same rent might make sense for them. Where is your restaurant? Would you consider living in other boroughs? Sounds like you need a quiet, residential street.
They already can't rent other apartments here, they are offering a free month to new tenants, and at a lower rent than we pay, the apartment is unrenovated and we've had problems with both rodent and cockroaches, which are finally over. They will not be able to rent this place easily at all.. or the 15 other vacant apartments here. If i stay, I want a reduction, not the same rent.. I'm losing the extra $600 in July, and when i get back to work, it won't be what it was, so if i'm rent poor, I'd rather be somewhere I like better...
Either way, these guys won't rent this place for this price for a long time

Old 06-18-2020, 10:30 AM

416 posts, read 248,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
They already can't rent other apartments here, they are offering a free month to new tenants, and at a lower rent than we pay, the apartment is unrenovated and we've had problems with both rodent and cockroaches, which are finally over. They will not be able to rent this place easily at all.. or the 15 other vacant apartments here. If i stay, I want a reduction, not the same rent.. I'm losing the extra $600 in July, and when i get back to work, it won't be what it was, so if i'm rent poor, I'd rather be somewhere I like better...
Either way, these guys won't rent this place for this price for a long time
Don't be afraid to negotiate with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City