Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:13 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So discontinue public assistance and food stamps for ghetto residents.

Yes, unless these residents are biologically incapable of taking care of themselves (otherwise known as disabled). Public assistance should be strictly temporary, until people can be placed into jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 08:14 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Re your previous post, correct, ghetto conditions are subhuman. I started as a fetus with gills and tail, which was utterly irrelevant once I grew up and developed sufficiently to be a part of human civilization. The fact that I was at some point a fetus 100% dependent on mom for survival has no bearing whatsoever on my adult social functioning, and the study of my fetal life has no bearing on how I decided to integrate into human civilization. How or why ghettos started is beside the point - the point is that they should end.

1) So how did these ghettos start? Why are there ghettos?

2) Would you support discontinue public assistance and food stamps for ghetto residents?

Do you have the balls to answer these questions? People aren't even using their real names here
Let's get down to the nitty gritty

Old 07-21-2020, 08:30 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
1) So how did these ghettos start? Why are there ghettos?

2) Would you support discontinue public assistance and food stamps for ghetto residents?

Do you have the balls to answer these question? People aren't even using their real names here

I don't need the balls, thanks (I'm a woman, so have no idea what I would do with them), and I answered your question: it is irrelevant how ghettos started, and they should end by having people placed into jobs, care facilities (if they are disabled), or jails (if they are criminal), and public assistance (for ghetto residents or anyone) should be temporary until people are placed into jobs (or medical, or legal, custody).

Ghettos started, before birth control was available, because some people in the US (including the former slaves who were freed 150+ years ago, or impoverished immigrants) weren't competitive in finding themselves a place in the economy, yet had no way of controlling the size of the families they couldn't feed. In the past, people generally tried (and widely succeeded) in working their way out of ghetto.... until it became possible to receive financial incentives to actually not work but just stay in the ghetto and take handouts. Then (mostly in the past 80 years), the ghetto "culture" of crime and futility blossomed and expanded to the level which is in no way, no how, manageable any more for the taxpayers. But this history is of no importance now - it is important to dismantle the ghettos.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:36 AM

529 posts, read 712,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Don't underestimate a person. Especially when they are playing a character. She is well educated and graduated with honors. People need to remember that politics is like professional wrestling. All politicians are playing a character whether that is the good guy or the heel.

GWB JR was always branded a moron, dumb, etc. But he was elected President 2x and made himself and his family richer in the process.

Agree. Politicians are merely spokespersons for their base. As they say, "don't shoot the messenger".

I don't take seriously anyone who criticizes leaders . This reminds of a related George Carlin quote, " When I hear a person talking about political solutions, I know I am not listening to a serious person. "

Old 07-21-2020, 08:40 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Don't underestimate a person. Especially when they are playing a character. She is well educated and graduated with honors. People need to remember that politics is like professional wrestling. All politicians are playing a character whether that is the good guy or the heel.

GWB JR was always branded a moron, dumb, etc. But he was elected President 2x and made himself and his family richer in the process.
What’s funny is that the same people who branded GWB a moron, dumb, etc. are now saying how right he is because he is against Trump.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
I don't need the balls, thanks (I'm a woman, so have no idea what I would do with them), and I answered your question: it is irrelevant how ghettos started, and they should end by having people placed into jobs, care facilities (if they are disabled), or jails (if they are criminal), and public assistance (for ghetto residents or anyone) should be temporary until people are placed into jobs (or medical, or legal, custody).

Ghettos started, before birth control was available, because some people in the US (including the former slaves who were freed 150+ years ago, or impoverished immigrants) weren't competitive in finding themselves a place in the economy, yet had no way of controlling the size of the families they couldn't feed. In the past, people generally tried (and widely succeeded) in working their way out of ghetto.... until it became possible to receive financial incentives to actually not work but just stay in the ghetto and take handouts. Then (mostly in the past 80 years), the ghetto "culture" of crime and futility blossomed and expanded to the level which is in no way, no how, manageable any more for the taxpayers. But this history is of no importance now - it is important to dismantle the ghettos.
The financial incentive for breeding became their meal ticket. The white liberals felt maybe they need to go to Africa and do the same thing but the charity money got pocketed by the local warlords who demanded they get the money or they will kill us Americans who go there. Eventually these charities that run these huge TV spots about starving African kids, made millions in charity and only handed out pennies on the dollar.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
it is important to dismantle the ghettos.
by doing what?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Ghettos started, before birth control was available, because some people in the US (including the former slaves who were freed 150+ years ago, or impoverished immigrants) weren't competitive in finding themselves a place in the economy, yet had no way of controlling the size of the families they couldn't feed.
Ghettos started because people in them were racially segregated

Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What’s funny is that the same people who branded GWB a moron, dumb, etc. are now saying how right he is because he is against Trump.
lolwut. Like, you're talking about what percent of the voting populace here? What do you think the overlap of voters for Dubya and Trump was mostly?

It's also pretty tangential to Mr. Ryu's general point that politicians play roles that enrich themselves.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 AM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Re your previous post, correct, ghetto conditions are subhuman. I started as a fetus with gills and tail, which was utterly irrelevant once I grew up and developed sufficiently to be a part of human civilization. The fact that I was at some point a fetus 100% dependent on mom for survival has no bearing whatsoever on my adult social functioning, and the study of my fetal life has no bearing on how I decided to integrate into human civilization. How or why ghettos started is beside the point - the point is that they should end.
Your starting conditions including as a fetus, but also post-natal have a massive bearing on your adult social functioning. There is no way that it has no bearing, and there was nothing to compel you to say something that silly. In abstract, how or why something is the way it can be crucial in understanding a way to mitigate or end something and what steps should be taken. I understand having a certain amount of stridency to make a point, but it doesn't work very well when what's being said is this explicitly silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City