Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:42 AM

528 posts, read 711,162 times

Advertisements

You sure you are reading the bill correctly? $180 sounds like the electric bill. I don't see how someone using AC can have a $50 electric bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 8,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
You sure you are reading the bill correctly? $180 sounds like the electric bill. I don't see how someone using AC can have a $50 electric bill.
ConEd covers my A/C, as it's electric. That bill was pretty reasonable given the summer temps. But I don't cook (not exaggerating here) -- I mostly do Doordash, Seamless, etc. and take quick showers. So the bill doesn't make sense.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
That depends how much one is using/running their A/C. I don't use my a/c all day long in the summer even when I spent a full day in my apt. I alternate between the a/c and a fan to keep my electric bill lower.

As for the OP's gas bill being that includes heating hot water (and not just a cooking stove), I assume it might be high if National Grid has raised its rates but the OP should check it out.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp575 View Post
Nope! It's a completely residential street. I'll call and ask if they've done meter readings. I'd understand if A/C was included in the bill, but it's only the gas stove and hot water. I take seven minute showers and am pretty conservative.
How many therms did they charge you for? I think mine was 8 therms last month for the stove and hot water heater. I don’t know about National Grid but Con Ed suspended meter readings since March so either the customer reports them or an estimate is made by the utility company. Maybe the prior tenant was using a lot of gas so they based an estimate on that person’s usage.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 8,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
How many therms did they charge you for? I think mine was 8 therms last month for the stove and hot water heater. I don’t know about National Grid but Con Ed suspended meter readings since March so either the customer reports them or an estimate is made by the utility company. Maybe the prior tenant was using a lot of gas so they based an estimate on that person’s usage.
The bill says 88 therms

Old 07-20-2020, 04:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
The bill says 88 therms
Impossible, based on what you say your usage is.

Most likely have one of the problems below

you are connected to wrong meter
The bill is a mistake
You have a massive hot water leak.
There is a gas leak.
Someone is tapping into your gas

I would go look at the meter make sure your water and stove are off and see if it is spinning.

I have a 4 person house hold we cook daily, I used 12 therms this month. I have a ultra high efficient tankless HW system. If I had a 10 year old crappy tank I would of used maybe 18 therms.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
The bill says 88 therms
Yeah that’s way too high for your usage. As I suggested, it may be due to an estimated bill based on the prior tenant’s usage as you said you just moved there. I would recommend you get access to the gas meter, take a picture of the meter reading and compare it to the reading on the bill. If it is indeed a lot less than the reading on the bill, send a copy of the picture to National Grid on their website.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:51 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Is anyone's national grid bill insanely high? I just moved to a place where I'm responsible for this bill. My AC is electric (ConEd bill averages about $50/month which is legit), gas (national grid) is supposedly the stove and hot water. I've never used the stove but the bill is $180? Is something wrong?
Response:
Yup......you are a couple of months behind...........
I won't surprise me to hear New Yorkers shutting off their gas meters and hooking up
their own propane tanks. Delivery charges? My arse........ripping the public offs for years...........

Enough with the jokes.
You need to have a serviceman come over and check for leaks with all appliances turned off.
This includes burner, hot water heater and stove. If that dial is still ticking away we got ourselves a problem.
If all is O.K. try lowering the burner and heater temperatures for starters. Try spinning the dial to energy saving mode.
Best wishes.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Yep. This current bill the rates went up quite a bit.
Especially people who got conned into getting a smart meter.... They really are seeing higher bills! (I know 3 people personally)

Old 07-22-2020, 05:35 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Is anyone's national grid bill insanely high? I just moved to a place where I'm responsible for this bill. My AC is electric (ConEd bill averages about $50/month which is legit), gas (national grid) is supposedly the stove and hot water. I've never used the stove but the bill is $180? Is something wrong?
Look at your bill. The price of gas and electricity didn't go up but the prices of the "delivery" did.
covid supply chain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City