Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 10:27 PM

32 posts, read 17,371 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am Looking for input on the area around Lenox Terrace Complex. I am looking at an appartment One block away 131/130. Are there major development still happening there? I will be commuting from there to Mornigside Heights. I could walk or get on the train.
If you live in the area, what do you like most/dislike most about it? Would you recommend It? Is it relatively quiet/noisy? I have taken a trip around the area already and plan to take more before committing but I don’t have much time to decide unfortunately. I am comfortable being in the area but a little bit concerned about nights when I have to walk back alone. The area seem s pretty lively but I don’t know what it looks like when the bars and outdoor dining have closed. Sorry if it seems like just another one of those threads. Your input is appreciated
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:46 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Strongly recommend you go up there on a Friday night before deciding. I imagine it's quieter than normal, but you should still be able to pick up the vibe. I've lived elsewhere in Harlem and was considering buying nearby, but did not care for the area. A busy street is good and people sitting outside enjoying a summer evening is fine but young men standing around idly on corners is not so good a sign. Also, shopping is limited.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:15 AM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
I lived in Lenox terrace 13 years ago. It was very lively. Especially in the evenings when they would have games going on in the rec center.

I just was by there yesterday and even in the heat on Lenox avenue everyone still sets up little stands and it's pretty busy with people outside.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:17 AM

I liked the building i saw, everything was brand new, but parts of the common areas seemed Just slightly neglected. Would you recommend living on a lower floor or higher floor in a walk up building? Is it true that there is a bigger problem with rats over there? I have not personally seen anything like that, and the block does not have any businesses with food.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:34 AM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsale4821 View Post
I liked the building i saw, everything was brand new, but parts of the common areas seemed Just slightly neglected. Would you recommend living on a lower floor or higher floor in a walk up building? Is it true that there is a bigger problem with rats over there? I have not personally seen anything like that, and the block does not have any businesses with food.
It really depends upon your shape and what you and your body can handle. I lived in another apartment on Lenox Ave and the 120s. I was on the fifth floor of a walk up. I didn't mind it at all because I am a marathon runner. However since I've had injuries with my knees and ankle and been on crutches. If it was a good deal I would still take a high floor of a walk up. But if one of my injuries recurred it would be a ***** to get up and down.
Rats and mice are everywhere in New York City especially around Lenox avenue because the streets are often very dirty. There's also a high volume of homeless people and junkies, especially around 125th Street. The corner that Starbucks is on I avoid.
Is the apartment on Lenox avenue or is it a side street? If it's Lennox avenue be prepared for a lot of noise and a hard time sleeping.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:43 AM

It is on 131 between 5th avenue and Malcom X Blvd. I like the block, it has plenty of nice apartments. The lower floors are not facing the street, but they are in the back, closer to garbage disposal. Although there is no smell, I m worried about the trash bags attracting bugs and mice if not frequently disposed of. But these buildings are walk ups, never lived in one and not sure how long before it gets old. I heard 3rd floor is the way to go. Slightly above ground to minimize pest and not too high to get sick of the stairs.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:07 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
that block is very sketchy with lots of activity

Old 07-21-2020, 12:38 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Your commute to MH will be awkward because you will have to take one bus (or walk) down to 116th or 125th street to connect with a crosstown bus. Or you hop on the subway at 135th downtown to 96th and then switch to an uptown 1 to 116th. Either one might be fine if you’re working 9-5 or something similar, but it could be a long annoying wait if you’re not working regular hours.

I’d call this part of Harlem “meh”. Not outrageously dangerous, but hardly the spiffed up vibe you might see now in parts of Harlem south of 126th St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City