Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 02:19 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This tactic reminds me of carrying a decoy wallet. A wallet with a bunch of ones with a larger bill, and expired library cards or similar. Its common with tourists to some regions.
you can get belly bands that can hold your wallet and firearm whilre you carry that 2nd one .

they also have wallet holsters .. these look like wallets but contain a firearm you dont even have to pull it out of the wallet to shoot ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This tactic reminds me of carrying a decoy wallet. A wallet with a bunch of ones with a larger bill, and expired library cards or similar. Its common with tourists to some regions.
When I lived in New Orleans I had such a decoy wallet

My decoy was an actual leather wallet that I kept in my front pocket. My actual wallet was a thin metal case where I kept my debit and credit cards.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:35 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
https://abc7ny.com/chelsea-hammer-at...nager/6350384/

speaking of wandering maniacs.

Pepper spray may deter a robber. But for a crazy hammer wielding person,..maybe something more robust is needed.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:42 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
https://abc7ny.com/chelsea-hammer-at...nager/6350384/

speaking of wandering maniacs.

Pepper spray may deter a robber. But for a crazy hammer wielding person,..maybe something more robust is needed.
Not maybe ,, definitely.

Mentally ill and those that are drug fueled are a whole other ball game .....

In training we were taught to imagine a 20ft diameter circle ....even if you shot someone directly in the heart , they can live long enough to cover 20 ft and stab or hack you to death . Drugs make it even longer .....

The only defense is to keep shooting at the pelvis area shattering it making it physically impossible to carry out the attack ....it is a good target under stress since it is the widest part of the body

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-03-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 05:39 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Response: Opinion

Gotta Love these videos.
The people in the videos are not the people you will be facing on a Manhattan street at 3
in the morning. They will be homeless, psychotic,insane or on drugs. Using pepper spray
can stop a criminal dead in his tracks if used properly.

Pepper spray for the average person is an added measure ( among many choices )
of self defense against an unavoidable attack.
It is highly unlikely that the the criminal will be any of those in the above videos.
Lord help us if they were to suddenly go bonkers. Pepper spray would be useless.

We are not living in an every man for himself or militarized zone just yet.
Gun Control is till enforced and policing although diminished is still employed.

If you are a person that lacks the ability to defend be prepared to use anything to drive
off your attacker if it comes down to an unavoidable physical confrontation. True self
defense employed results in making it home safely. Pepper spray can be one of many choices.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Bear spray, followed by a knife. Not sure if bear spray is legal, but I really don't care when someone is breaking the law against me.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:12 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what is your opinion of carrying pepper spray?

I feel I don't need it right now. The places where I'm walking around in New York now are quiet and peaceful

- so much so, they are becoming boring

But anyway if things get worse what do you think of pepper spray? There are also high intensity flashlights that can daze someone with light at night and they could also be like a small club

One thing I have noticed about knives is that if someone is harassing you and you pull out a knife it might scare them off. On the other hand if you pull out any weapon and another person doesn't have one pulled out it sometimes has the opposite effect and escalates the situation. The person might have though " I was going to stop harassing this person but now they have pulled out a weapon on me, now I have got to defend my pride and pick up a bottle or something and get them"

But there could be a million things in a given person's head

I don't like even having to think about stuff like this and if it gets to be a lot I'm thinking I'm not going to want to be here. Why not just go anyplace else? Because other places can have their own problems

Pepper spray, what do you think of it as a defensive weapon?
To me, that's pointless paranoia, keeping in mind the low crime rate in comparison to when it was high.

Much better to learn to exercise caution in general. That said, I'll add that I was happy to take a self-defense class a long time ago.

Good question, though.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:18 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
I used to have a short handle axe under my front seat, not sure where it disappeared to lol. Fun car weapons over the years. The traditional aluminum baseball bat, hammer, axe, long car antennae (oooohhh that stings), wasp/hornet spray, lots of fun handy legal weapons out there to use. When you deal with animals, you have to treat them as such. Animals know two things, positive and negative reinforcement. Bad animals get negative reinforcement, and stop their behavior quickly from said negative reinforcement.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:24 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
Pepper spray may not be effective on everyone, especially if one's aim is off. As with any kind of self defense, adrenalin and the flight/fight bodily response may hinder it from even being used.
This.

I’m a gun guy, loosely speaking, and that very fact has kept me from getting a carry license.

Keep in mind that carrying self defense items also up the stakes for the attacker - a panicked mugger or rapist might kill, perhaps not even intending to, if you introduce that into the situation.

Pepper spray, though, might be one of the better options. It’s not likely to be mistaken for a gun and doesn’t necessarily need the precision of a gun. Legalities are easier to navigate unless you’re in Canada. And they’re small enough to be on your keychain.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Bear spray, followed by a knife. Not sure if bear spray is legal, but I really don't care when someone is breaking the law against me.
Response: Bear spray and a knife ..................nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asaj-hN-pSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQrLPtr_ikE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City