Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 12:37 PM

32,074 posts, read 27,318,997 times

Advertisements

Long story short affordable agreement for this BPC building expired some time ago. Property owner gave into a few extensions, now those affected are attempting to use covid-19 to get another year or more.

https://gothamist.com/news/battery-p...uring-pandemic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 05:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,013,822 times
The city or state will have to step up, otherwise they got to go.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 5,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post

People fighting to keep their only source of housing in a pandemic and economic crisis where GDP is down more than 30%. WOW They have some nerve. We should get the police to come stand on their necks until they leave. /s

The city should step up to evict people but not provide good leadership in a health crisis, not to curtail police brutality, not to provide essential services to people who need them but to throw people out on their faces in the middle of a crisis. Republicanism is truly a disease of the soul.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Can't blame people for trying to hold onto a good thing. Tribeca/FiDi was whole different place when they moved down to BPC. But they also knew going in the deal had a finite ending date, and now that time has come.

My hunch Margaret Chin will lean on LL and or help get courts involved to get some sort of temporary stay on things (yes, another one). Otherwise as you say, people need to hit the bricks. I see people moving all the time in my area, it cannot be that difficult now.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,013,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post
People fighting to keep their only source of housing in a pandemic and economic crisis where GDP is down more than 30%. WOW They have some nerve. We should get the police to come stand on their necks until they leave. /s

The city should step up to evict people but not provide good leadership in a health crisis, not to curtail police brutality, not to provide essential services to people who need them but to throw people out on their faces in the middle of a crisis. Republicanism is truly a disease of the soul.
That's only one way to look at it but the people on the other side also have bills, regardless of their motivations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can't blame people for trying to hold onto a good thing. Tribeca/FiDi was whole different place when they moved down to BPC. But they also knew going in the deal had a finite ending date, and now that time has come.

My hunch Margaret Chin will lean on LL and or help get courts involved to get some sort of temporary stay on things (yes, another one). Otherwise as you say, people need to hit the bricks. I see people moving all the time in my area, it cannot be that difficult now.
The city could re-allocate funding that was made available to illegals fighting deportation.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post

Another group or post looking to use covid-19 as an excuse.....

Affordable deal ended in 2005, was extended until 2017, then finally ended April of 2020; these remaining tenants had fifteen (15) years to get their acts together. If it wasn't covid-19 they'd find another excuse.

Bottom line this is what happens when you procrastinate and or otherwise put off doing what you should. Fifteen, ten or even five years ago these people likely could have found something else. If they are that truly busted then worked with city to find other low income housing elsewhere.

One lady mentioned in article seemed to base her search for affordable housing largely on entering multiple lotteries hoping lightening would strike twice. That didn't happen so now she's got a bad name for lottery process all because she didn't get another spot.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:45 PM

34,187 posts, read 47,577,958 times
I never liked J-51, it was all under false pretenses

Maybe some of you will see who really runs the city after all of this.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I never liked J-51, it was all under false pretenses

Maybe some of you will see who really runs the city after all of this.
It isn't just J-51, but BPC as a whole is a hot mess real estate wise, much of it coming out of how the place was created and built.

State and local politicians pass or create these "affordable" or whatever housing that has built in sunset dates. No one is thinking about 20, 30, 40 or 50 years in future, so when it happens everyone starts pointing the finger.

https://www.ebroadsheet.com/condo-em...hin-community/

You also have to remember when BPC first began no one really wanted to live down there, that part of downtown like Wall Street area was literally nothing residential wise.

Now of course Tribeca and FiDi are some of the most highly desirable residential areas of city. So now you have two competing forces; property owners ready to make the bank they were promised; and low or middle income households who don't want to lose a sweet deal.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:05 AM

34,187 posts, read 47,577,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It isn't just J-51, but BPC as a whole is a hot mess real estate wise, much of it coming out of how the place was created and built.

State and local politicians pass or create these "affordable" or whatever housing that has built in sunset dates. No one is thinking about 20, 30, 40 or 50 years in future, so when it happens everyone starts pointing the finger.

https://www.ebroadsheet.com/condo-em...hin-community/

You also have to remember when BPC first began no one really wanted to live down there, that part of downtown like Wall Street area was literally nothing residential wise.

Now of course Tribeca and FiDi are some of the most highly desirable residential areas of city. So now you have two competing forces; property owners ready to make the bank they were promised; and low or middle income households who don't want to lose a sweet deal.
BPC seems bland to me anyway, it's a nice area but I never really was a fan. If I had the money I wouldn't choose there. No shade to anybody who likes the area, just not for me. It's like an attached Roosevelt Island.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: