Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 02:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 991,037 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I live in CT, but I was in NYC a few weeks ago. I got a speeding ticket in the mail, one that was generated by speed zone cameras. Funny thing is, the notice says that the photographs of the lic. plate are evidence (which they are), but the cameras are not shown in the pics.

In any event, I am wondering if anyone has gotten one of these and attempted to fight it. It's a small, no-point penalty, but it's the trial should I plead NG that I wonder about. Is there an officer, or city employee there for me to question? If not, that would seemingly make the proceedings a violation of the 6th Amendment.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 03:02 PM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
the camera is all the evidence they need .... got an issue with it ? try getting a judge to agree with you

Old 08-13-2020, 04:01 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Are you guilty? if yes, pay the fine. If not, go to court and plead NG.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:11 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
6th amendment is for criminal offenses I believe. You committed a petty offense. Deblasio thanks you for filling the budget gaps. Good job.

The offender has the right to the accuser. They charge the owner of the car. Not the person driving the car.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi all

I live in CT, but I was in NYC a few weeks ago. I got a speeding ticket in the mail, one that was generated by speed zone cameras. Funny thing is, the notice says that the photographs of the lic. plate are evidence (which they are), but the cameras are not shown in the pics.

In any event, I am wondering if anyone has gotten one of these and attempted to fight it. It's a small, no-point penalty, but it's the trial should I plead NG that I wonder about. Is there an officer, or city employee there for me to question? If not, that would seemingly make the proceedings a violation of the 6th Amendment.

Thanks in advance.
The Confrontation Clause applies to evidence that is "Testimonial" in nature. A camera is a "Silent Witness", they offer no testimony that is verbal in any way. Plus, you will probably find the $50.00 fine is "Civil" in nature, not "Criminal", meaning the fine does not trigger the 6th AM's CC.

Here are some facts for you, it does not mention the CC, as I assume they would mention it if applicable, as the article is from June 2019.

https://traffictickets.com/new-york/...e/connecticut/

Old 08-13-2020, 04:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks in advance.
You cant fight it. The photo is all they need.
The speed limit is 25mph and if you go 10 over the camera activates.

When in NYC use the Waze app. It will save you from this BS money making revenue scheme.

See previous thread on same topic.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:49 PM

779 posts, read 1,003,595 times
Please pay asap, we need money!

Thank you, come again

Old 08-14-2020, 05:45 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks in advance.
I tried to fight mine but did not win. I will have to update my thread. New Yorkers seem to be fine with red light cameras because they are still here. You can be driving 9:59 at night no traffic no school (not holiday time but literally school has been ordered closed) and srill get a ticket if you go over 10 mph. It's a big scam.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:51 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I tried to fight mine but did not win. I will have to update my thread. New Yorkers seem to be fine with red light cameras because they are still here. You can be driving 9:59 at night no traffic no school (not holiday time but literally school has been ordered closed) and srill get a ticket if you go over 10 mph. It's a big scam.
Response: Opinion

Yes it is but New Yorkers have acclimated to it.
Anytime you are in New York drive 25 m.p.h.
Think of everyday as a Sunday drive and watch
how pleasant and slowed down everything gets
just like our Mayor.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:50 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
The photo is proof that you were where you were going beyond a certain speed. Unless you can prove that the camera malfunctioned (fat chance), there's no reasonable way for you to get out of this.

My advice going forward: slow down or get the Waze app, which alerts you to the location of speed cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: