Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Paris Baguette is an Korean bread chain, much like going to a Chinese bakery or Japanese bakery (like Zaiya). It's totally different concepts.

Maison Kayser and Bouchon are French bakeries.

LPQ and Au Bon Pain and American bread shops with French sounding names.
I don’t know what you’re talking bout. LPQ is Belgian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 06:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Are these chains shutting down completely or just closing some of their stores? If later, is smart move. Too much retail, especially food around.

Paris Baguette used to have a location on Main, and Franklin in Flushing, but they sold it to Maxin Bakery. Too many bakeries in that location. Is Flushing afterall.

You dont need at least one of your bakery chain in every neighborhood. The locals may not like your food, or be that stoked for bakery items every morning anyways. Some people prefer the Ham/egg/cheese from the bodega, or the fast food breakfast, or just skip breakfast altogether.

You dont have to the Subway, DDs, or 7elevens of the bakery world.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 PM

383 posts, read 173,963 times
Crazy when you see how they started though, one of my uncles lives right above the original Éric Kayser bakery, in Paris, he opened as a simple neighborhood mom and pop’s in a tiny retail space in the mid 90’s. I remember my uncle telling him how successful he was going to be.

But to answer a question, Kayser actually plans on reopening. They were having difficulties and COVID-19 didn’t help. But they will restructure their US presence and come back.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:02 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I hope you are right about Eric Kayser. They aren't exactly authentically French either in the US, but "pas mal." I wouldn't miss Paris Baguette. I used to go to the store on the upper west side and in Fort Lee. Pretty awful, nothing very French. LPQ, is Belgian as someone else mentioned. La Boulangerie and CeCi Cela are much better.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:47 AM

383 posts, read 173,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I hope you are right about Eric Kayser. They aren't exactly authentically French either in the US, but "pas mal." I wouldn't miss Paris Baguette. I used to go to the store on the upper west side and in Fort Lee. Pretty awful, nothing very French. LPQ, is Belgian as someone else mentioned. La Boulangerie and CeCi Cela are much better.
They adapt many products to the local tastebuds. It would be difficult to sell exclusively French products besides the staples (brioche, croissants, pain au chocolat...) .

“While we cannot predict the progress of COVID-19, we are still moving forward and hope to reopen in September,” a spokesperson for Maison Kayser said in a statement. “ that is a statement from July.

LPQ though Belgian is Walloon so not only do they have many common items with. Ordering France, but the founder focused on French baked goods.
LPQ is in my opinion one of the best (at least for chains) and the closet to what you can find at your average Parisian bakery.

There was an independent French bakery on Nostrand Avenue in Crown heights owned and operated by two French-Caribbean guys. Their croissants were amazing. They didn’t even last two years in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: