Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 PM

593 posts, read 470,828 times

Advertisements

Large cities now face a lot of challenges due to the rise of remote work. They should be making extraordinary efforts to retain and attract taxpaying residents by providing a high quality of life. Progressive local politicians are actually doing the opposite, driving people away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 10:09 PM

910 posts, read 753,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson
So why not go live in New Hampshire or Connecticut and stop bothering New Yorkers who will fight for their city
Fighting for their city? You can hardly call voting for idiots like Dumblazio and co "fighting for your city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cida
Sorry, but in my experience, NOTHING in the NY Post has ever been true for "every single word." It's generally been considered the least reliable of all the NYC papers, except perhaps for sports.
Then your experience is very limited. The NY Post is much more honest than that propaganda toilet paper known as the NY Times. I find it really ironic how so many people are ignorant of the extremely virulent racist past and present of the NY Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad
OP: NY Post is a rag. How many times are you going to post the same thing? I'm sorry NYC ate you alive.
Keep saying that to yourself. NYC ate me alive? To the contrary, I am still gainfully employed and I was never "eaten alive" in NYC. I made some of my best career moves (eg: money making) in NYC. Stop thinking you are so tough for living in the hood. Guess what? You're not.

Last edited by canovas; 08-19-2020 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 2,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post

We will see a decline just like how every city is but this will not kill NYC or make it "dead forever". There are still a lot of companies looking to buying our properties in our city. Like with Facebook's purchase of the Farley building, I believe Giphy, which they acquired, will be moving there. Even with our financially inept leaders like De Blasio and Cuomo and how our city hasn’t shown any financial aptitude or restraint, the city still has a lot going for them which will continue to attract companies here as we can see especially with tech. We have Wall Street, Broadway, and Lincoln Center. Brookfield have been planning to prop up more Hudson Yard like projects in Southern Bronx and Sunnyside Queens. The pandemic will probably delay them but I highly doubt they will give up on these major projects. I have strong faith in NYC.

Sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/n...-building.html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/amazon...r-1-5-billion/

https://ny.curbed.com/maps/amazon-go...ok-nyc-offices

Old 08-20-2020, 03:50 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response: Opinion

With so many people leaving and less cars and no kids in school they should raise the speed limits.
Oh darn....speed cameras! Why bother....................(sarcasm).

Old 08-20-2020, 12:49 PM

133 posts, read 54,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Articles like these are bad for city! It just widens the impression that city is in decline , thus making it further decline!

NYC has always been a transient city. New people will always come in, even during bad times, and older ones will always be leaving, even during good times. I myself have been here over 45 years, and I got jaded 10 years ago, but I'm still stuck for awhile. That's normal, despite some here thinking it's a sin to even consider leaving.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:52 PM

91 posts, read 37,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So why not go live in New Hampshire or Connecticut and stop bothering New Yorkers who will fight for their city
How can you fight for "your" city when it's not your city anymore?

All of local newspapers and social media are exclusively in the hands of transplant gentrifiers hostile to "old" NYC, and they are so deeply entrenched that they affect public policy with everything they do and say. It's why nothing ever happens when New Yorkers keep complaining about losing more driving options to the hipster anti-motorist crowd. It's why nothing ever happens when they rant about how developers keep reneging on deals (like violating a clause to allow the South Street Seaport to be opened to the public at all times) or stew in resentment over beloved retail institutions being threatened with closure. It's why NYC public transportation keeps getting increasingly neglected in favor of frivolous nonsense like CitiBike expansions, NYC ferry expansions and this idiotic street car (aka The Gentrification Xpress) that neoliberal idiots like de Blasio have been gunning for for years now.

You want to know how little NYC belongs to New Yorkers? Thousands of NYC landlords have had their rents canceled because a few dozen transplants stormed City Hall with "cancel rent" signs and have been publishing a steady stream of "aLl lAnL0rDs R dUh d3VIl" articles at Gothamist, The NY Times, Curbed NY and other sites. Thousands of NYC landlords have had their property rights stripped because of ONE person out of Rochester, NYC, who's being made out to be some uber-scary housing rights dynamo who everyone has to kowtow to--or else.

I know that kvetching like this isn't being very proactive. But neither is being blind to the reality of what's happening. It's not "your/our" city to fight for anymore. It's "their" city now (the Cea Weavers, Bushwick transplants, Hayley Phelanss, etc.). It's why so many New Yorkers--many who lived through the bad old days--are bailing.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:53 PM

91 posts, read 37,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Fighting for their city? You can hardly call voting for idiots like Dumblazio and co "fighting for your city".
People voted for them because they completely misrepresented themselves as true blue New Yorkers working on behalf of natives. No one could've imagined that they were 100% in the pockets of corporations, foreign speculators and transplants.

That everyone was fooled was exemplified by when the labor unions called de Blasio a fauxgressive. The reason why he was called that is that he played himself as a true blue union man/dyed-in-the-wool progressive, only to turn around and be the complete opposite. From The NY Post:

Transit union blasts de Blasio as ‘fauxgressive’ ahead of primary season
https://nypost.com/2019/03/08/transi...rimary-season/

So, this isn't a question of people hearing a bunch of ridiculous ideas and being stupid enough to vote for them. All of these politicians went out of their way to look and sound like true blue Democrats/men and women of "the people." De Blasio even went so far as to change his last name to sound like just another paisan like Giuliani and marry a black lesbian under false pretenses. Again, who could've imagined otherwise until it became too late?

BTW, this whole con job is why they're all working especially hard to claim the trustafarian cancel rent/defund the police vote. They know that New Yorkers, who are realizing how badly they got burned by them won't be getting any votes. So now they're trying to pander to the trustafarian/Bushwick crowd for their votes.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:54 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Covid nightmare will be over by late 2021. Combination of 2nd gen. vaccines, herd and fear immunity should be set in as well.

Two years after that things should be back to normal besides all the old Covid stories people will be regurgitating. Landscape might look a little different and growth rates will be slower, but not much else.

One big difference however might be the accumulated rage turned against China.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Yeah, after I made a post about NYC is dying and the articles from all these media outlets are now just pouring out. Next year will be an ugly year, Trump will be re-elected and DeBlasio will be on his way out. And NY will be picking an even more left mayor to hand over more money to the homeless and poor people then more and more people will flee and companies that once supported NYC will be pulling out as there's no need to keep floors of office space empty. Many companies are paying $200k+/month can easily save by pulling out. Then the landlords will be threatening to leave or stop paying on their mortgages and that's the end game collapsing for NYC.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 12,406,148 times
I know those of you arguing over the price decline want data rather than anecdote, still this anecdote is telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETDbcDH-gw

From 4:33 mark to 5:16 or so.

He says out of 1279 apartments, about 270 are vacant in this area of the UES, between 78th & 79th. He says now is the time to get a deal.

And no, I haven't fact checked him, but this wasn't said in a way that made me doubt the speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City