Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 11:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
100%. Public schools need to get defunded and these lazy teachers need to get laid off if they don't want to teach.

Right... because the alternative is much better where grandma dies anyway because she's old. Mom takes off work to watch her kid(s) because she can't afford a babysitter or know anyone to babysit the kid(s) so eventually mom loses her job for taking sick leave.

Now who watches Junior? The mom with no job. Meanwhile, these teachers have the time of day (of course) to march hand in hand over school reopening.

They really look worried about covid19 here:

By the way, Little Andy and Pablo have been chatting on fortnite REMOTELY before this plandemic but what does fortnite have to do with this?
Most of them are not teachers if you look really close to photo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 10:58 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Maybe not paying the teachers will help NYC’s budget deficit

Old 09-18-2020, 02:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
I've spoken to teachers, they REALLY don't want to strike because the penalty is 2 days pay for every day of strike. They just want this threat to force the city into remote only learning

Old 09-18-2020, 05:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
In a way I'm kind of relieved. I feel that Covid will get crazy agajn once schools open. I can't bear the thought of things being shut down again. It's like for certsin services they are hard to access and then another spike...i just can't lol

Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
In a way I'm kind of relieved. I feel that Covid will get crazy agajn once schools open. I can't bear the thought of things being shut down again. It's like for certsin services they are hard to access and then another spike...i just can't lol
Oh, heck no. Not another shutdown; even if it's just a partial one would be really ...ugh. I still remember how shopping was like all of April to mid June. And I still...can't get paper towels, alcohol without paying exorbitant prices.

Europe is experiencing a spike (so much so that they're calling it a possible second wave) and are partially locking things down again. Sigh. Just come up with a vaccine already. (I know, I know... easier said than done). I'm going to the doctor Oct. 5 to get my flu shot. Can you imagine catching the flu & covid? Shudder....

Old 09-18-2020, 07:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, heck no. Not another shutdown; even if it's just a partial one would be really ...ugh. I still remember how shopping was like all of April to mid June. And I still...can't get paper towels, alcohol without paying exorbitant prices.

Europe is experiencing a spike (so much so that they're calling it a possible second wave) and are partially locking things down again. Sigh. Just come up with a vaccine already. (I know, I know... easier said than done). I'm going to the doctor Oct. 5 to get my flu shot. Can you imagine catching the flu & covid? Shudder....
Wonder if we can get some mail order Sputnik 5 over here

Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
I didn't pick up this thread because I was working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Hospitals are open. Trains and buses are open - 30+ people per bus/train car (and more and more of them are not wearing masks). Car dealerships are open - some of them are pretty big. I was in one two weeks ago, and they had 30 people just in the waiting room. If you're going to have 10-15 kids in a classroom, that's not nearly as many people as I see on a bus.
Hospitals have entire buildings DESIGNED to manage contagious disease. Car dealerships have limits of how many people are allowed in the building. No one is spending 5-6 hours at a Car dealership except the staff. The transit has strict cleaning protocols in place; and now, fines for people NOT wearing masks.

Quote:
OK, yes, that sounds scary in theory. But have you seen the kids on the playgrounds? The pickup basketball, handball, and soccer games? There are lots of kids, teens, adults. They don't have masks on, they're not distancing. They get much closer to each other than anyone will in the classroom. They've been at it since June. No second outbreak.
They are outside. Not in an indoor space with poor or no ventilation.

Quote:
Spending more time at home. Right. You do realize that teachers are not the only ones who work? Who exactly are the kids supposed to spend time with? Do you really think that if a parent's job is on the line, they won't be palmed off to an unemployed aunt who doesn't speak English, or left home alone?
What are you implying? That educators are baby sitters?

Quote:

And here's a thought for you. Doctors and nurses have kids too. Maybe you'd like them to sit home helping their children remote learn?
Children of essential workers have first dibs on the rec centers.... that they have been using since March.

Quote:
And do you know what isolation does to an elementary school child's mental health? I do. It's not pretty. Many of the parents I know are desperate for even that one day, because even the most resilient kids are starting to crack from the stress.
I know EXACTLY the dilemma, especially for District 75 kids and beyond. That doesn't change the facts. Whataboutism, doesn't change facts.

Quote:
I'm 100% behind pushing for the city to get everyone PPE, get schools cleaned properly, all that. It's a joke how every year it's the teachers and parents buying supplies, and this year it's finally not good enough. But. I'm also getting the impression that UFT will do anything and everything to not get into the classroom at all, the welfare of the kids be damned. If one issue is resolved, it wil be something else, and something else after that. You're listening to the screaming of the privileged few who are scared to send in their children and can afford not to. The people who need schools are not screaming. They're too busy keeping their heads above water. Think of them too.
How has your point of view changed now that all the new stories have come out of the DOE's lack of preparedness. The UFT didn't want lip service, but a real plan that they had asked for since April. The DOE's last minute planning that is half-a&& to put it lightly does not make a plan. And now, we have schools being shut down due to cases of Covid. Joy.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If they weren’t getting their guaranteed pay checks they’d be back in that classroom tomorrow. It’s easy to not to want to go back to work when your getting fully Salary and benefits.
Teachers are working much longer hours doing remote learning, especially those who teach HS kids who message them at 3am.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 PM

1,466 posts, read 760,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Teachers are working much longer hours doing remote learning, especially those who teach HS kids who message them at 3am.
Are you implying getting a message from a student at 3 am and not answering it until the morning is working longer hours ? The teachers are more entitled than I thought ! Thanks for proving my point.

I got an email last night from work I saw this morning . I should ask for extra money for getting it at 3 am and not waking me up.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Are you implying getting a message from a student at 3 am and not answering it until the morning is working longer hours ? The teachers are more entitled than I thought ! Thanks for proving my point.

I got an email last night from work I saw this morning . I should ask for extra money for getting it at 3 am and not waking me up.
They answer the questions all times of the day. You're implying I wrote something I did not write. Teachers are on call much longer hours in the remote environment. As a parent, I gett emails and calls from teachers all times of the day, and very late into the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City