Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:52 PM

910 posts, read 753,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I agree with the sidewalk cafe but not even a outdoor eatery in the waterfront area?
Oh, that´s totally fine and whole different vibe. An outdoor eatery perched at the top of some nice boardwalk type waterfront fenced off/sealed off is very different from the sidewalk cafe. I myself had been in the past to some places with a waterfront where I enjoyed some seafood and a cool ocean breeze. But NYC sidewalk cafe? No, thanks. Even for people who enjoy it, you have to contend with homeless and deranged individuals who come talk to you out of nowhere and try to harass you while you just want to enjoy a drink or a meal.

In the past, I used to smoke cigars and cigarettes (depending on my mood) and I can´t even imagine what it would have been like to on top of already being outside, also being told not to smoke or have people come and try to ask me for a smoke.

Rutakkk: Funny, I always thought it was the Europeans who built our Western civilization, not Eurotrash high on drugs and wasting time in a sidewalk cafe.

Yes, sorry...people who have things to do don´t sit in a cafe all day long sipping a latte and discussing BS. I like my coffee to go, so that I can get back to business as quickly as possible. What´s the point of just sitting there and chatting about nothing? Don´t you have a mom or grandmother if you want to chat about nothing in particular?

Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Because most real New Yorkers don´t really do the whole "Citibike" and fake Eurotrash outdoor cafe sitdown. NYC was never ever ever known as a cyclist-latte sipping Eurotrash outdoor cafe city. We are always on the go and most real New Yorkers like to have their coffee walking on the street or "on the go". Why anybody would think that making NYC a Paris or a Rome or a Barcelona on the Hudson is workable and compatible is beyond me. The city´s DNA is NOT made for "sitting down" and lounging. Most people you see enjoying all of that are either transplants or now, New Yorkers on the dole.

There are entire areas of NYC that have been transformed by fake transplant bro types.

what about Starbucks? They have 241 cafes in NYC with people sipping lattes
People often do their office work there with lap tops

Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Oh, that´s totally fine and whole different vibe. An outdoor eatery perched at the top of some nice boardwalk type waterfront fenced off/sealed off is very different from the sidewalk cafe. I myself had been in the past to some places with a waterfront where I enjoyed some seafood and a cool ocean breeze. But NYC sidewalk cafe? No, thanks. Even for people who enjoy it, you have to contend with homeless and deranged individuals who come talk to you out of nowhere and try to harass you while you just want to enjoy a drink or a meal.

In the past, I used to smoke cigars and cigarettes (depending on my mood) and I can´t even imagine what it would have been like to on top of already being outside, also being told not to smoke or have people come and try to ask me for a smoke.

Rutakkk: Funny, I always thought it was the Europeans who built our Western civilization, not Eurotrash high on drugs and wasting time in a sidewalk cafe.

Yes, sorry...people who have things to do don´t sit in a cafe all day long sipping a latte and discussing BS. I like my coffee to go, so that I can get back to business as quickly as possible. What´s the point of just sitting there and chatting about nothing? Don´t you have a mom or grandmother if you want to chat about nothing in particular?
If it's a sidewalk cafe that is sectioned off in Manhattan it's like Gotham Market and Apple Jacks Diner

Old 08-24-2020, 09:01 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:

Yeah anyone you see in the morning or early afternoon is definitely unemployed

Old 08-24-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what about Starbucks? They have 241 cafes in NYC with people sipping lattes
People often do their office work there with lap tops
I already answered this question you asked previously. I said that Starbucks does not mean anything since a lot of places in NYC are populated by mostly a transplant crowd. There are many other examples of this that mean nothing to real New Yorkers. You think all the bars in places like Bed Stuy cater to those born and raised there? You must be laughing real hard!

Moneymkt: Ha! Gotham market! Yes! Awful. Imagine having to enjoy a meal like that.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:31 PM

And as if this was not bad enough, now you even have the risk of cars crashing into outdoor dining areas! "Al fresco" dining? Or more like "Al hazardento dining?"

https://nypost.com/2020/08/25/car-cr...per-east-side/

Old 08-24-2020, 11:43 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Not the first time, and no diners injured.

Quote:
And as if this was not bad enough, now you even have the risk of cars crashing into outdoor dining areas! "Al fresco" dining? Or more like "Al hazardento dining?"

https://nypost.com/2020/08/25/car-cr...per-east-side/

Old 08-25-2020, 12:02 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:

Don't you have a mother or grandmother to write to instead of complaining about how somebody chooses to spend their time? How about tripping over yourself with a large coffee and scalding someone on the sidewalk? How's that for civilized?

As far as Europe is concerned, Italians don't waste a fraction of the time you do even ordering your Dunkin coffee. They get an espresso, drink it in half a minute and split. No long conversations, no need for human interaction, brrrrr... all business. Lol

Old 08-25-2020, 12:05 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:

Jonbenson: What's your point about Starbucks? Filled with transplants and millennials. Lots of businesses open in NYC that are not catering to real New Yorkers. Have you seen all the bro bars in Bed Stuy? You think those bars are for those who really were born and raised in Bed-Stuy? Just an example, but there are many others. Haha "office work". Soon, a lot of those paper pushers will have no job to go back to and won't even afford their overpriced latte.
Tourism is a major part of the NY economy and people that people that go to Cafes contribute a lot to the economy. So if you get rid of of "Euro trash", transplants and millennial it is only going to be billions of dollars of loss to the economy.
A huge part of the service economy has been knocked out. Some of the people who remain employed are professionals, technology workers, programmers, designers, people in finance, wall street,
They who work on computers in offices
so yes they can also work at a cafe with their lap top, you must be living back in the 70s to talk about "paper-pushers"
So what kind of jobs are the "real" jobs are you talking about blue collar work?

Old 08-25-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Don't you have a mother or grandmother to write to instead of complaining about how somebody chooses to spend their time? How about tripping over yourself with a large coffee and scalding someone on the sidewalk? How's that for civilized?

As far as Europe is concerned, Italians don't waste a fraction of the time you do even ordering your Dunkin coffee. They get an espresso, drink it in half a minute and split. No long conversations, no need for human interaction, brrrrr... all business. Lol
Don't fool yourself. I wouldn't "complain" about how people spend "their time" if my money was not being used for their leisure and pleasure. Like I said, a lot of the unemployed people are now just sitting in restaurants and enjoying drinks and meals with their money for nothing at taxpayer expense.

I agree with the Italians and espresso bit, though not when it comes to long conversations. Italians are notorious for their long conversations about "nothing in particular". I've lived there, so I know.

Good morning, by the way. I have to go back to work now...some of us actually have to sustain what's left of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City