Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah I go to places that even have $3 beers.
Reminds me of two cheap dives I used to go to in my partying days. People face down on the bar snoring, a scuffle here and there and patrons right out of a Bukowski story. I remember one regular I was friendly with walking in, downing a shot and running out to puke in the plant by the door outside.

I found and would still find those places more intetesting then a fancy rooftop bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
Whether or not a person wants to blow their “savings” on indoor dining , outdoor dining, at bars , at supermarkets, on onlyfans, or through amazon, that is their prerogative. A dollar spent is a dollar earned.
The situation is more potentially dangerous. The more people run out of money the more potential for social unrest. There is a tipping point

Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
[quote=90sSitcom;59050428 cocktails for $8 at the Irish bar. there are places for every budget.[/QUOTE]

No I don't party with a derelict Blarney Stone crowd. Not my scene dude.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:07 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
No I don't party with a derelict Blarney Stone crowd. Not my scene dude.
Not a dude and I'm not talking about Blarney stone.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:41 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah I go to places that even have $3 beers.
Would love to know where wink wink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
$2 beers exist. I was doing $3 in the LES. You can spend that much, but you don't -have- to. Rudy's on 46th st is still $2 beers and free hotdog if you get the cheapest.
Feel free to share lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Opening indoor dining and bars would help businesses and bring back jobs

but cross your fingers that the people who go to restaurants and bars will continue to have their jobs of be financially secure enough to continue to maintain their standard of living.

But it all depends on how frequently somebody goes to restaurants and bars in a given month.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

-- The unemployment rate is 10.2% is worse than the worse point of the Great Recession which started in
December 2007 -2008. New York hit harder?

- --The job growth rate has significantly slowed and, without fiscal stimulus, could fall further.

---People who usually work part-time increased by 803,000 to 24.0 million.

---About a third of the additional jobs came in leisure and hospitality, and those are the ones likely to get hit hard again as big states that have seen virus resurgence find themselves having to reclose businesses.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

We have been living in an economy based on a lot of non-essentials

It would be prudent to tell people that the future could be uncertain so save your money, cut down on eating out and buying $8-14 drinks too frequently

But it's a catch 22, the other message is go out to restaurants and bars to support local business and the jobs they create

It's all true
Good point and thanks for reminding me. I don't always have to go to a bar. I can go to a bodega sometimes.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:36 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post

Good point and thanks for reminding me. I don't always have to go to a bar. I can go to a bodega sometimes.
People are acting like there are all these bars with $3 beers around that aren't few and far between non-scuzzy dives with 20 year olds and crap on tap.

Check out the 6 packs at trader joe's . They have various brands mainly and their own. A bottle will come out to be $1.50 - $ 2 and no tips necessary. Go near closing to avoid lines. They don't have most of the beer on the website. Watch the gut

Old 09-01-2020, 01:45 PM

383 posts, read 173,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Maybe drinks and food can become reasonably priced then more people would eat out. The last beer I purchased at a bar in NYC was maybe 2005 at $6. By the time I left in 2015 it was around $10 so I heard. Never bothered to go out much after the smoking ban.

Food ? In 2015 it was $20 to brown bag it and wish you had more to fill your stomach. What's it like now ?

REALITY needs to make a comeback.
Drinks and food still be reasonable price the day landlords give business owners reasonable rents....

Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
$20 to brown bag a single work lunch? What?!?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2020, 03:35 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
People are acting like there are all these bars with $3 beers around that aren't few and far between non-scuzzy dives with 20 year olds and crap on tap.

Check out the 6 packs at trader joe's . They have various brands mainly and their own. A bottle will come out to be $1.50 - $ 2 and no tips necessary. Go near closing to avoid lines. They don't have most of the beer on the website. Watch the gut
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't drink much but will definitely consider these more affordable options. I was able to find 3 dollar beer. It tasted pretty good. The outdoor seating wasnt too bad either though the street was literally right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City