Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been a problem, that these morons think can't be fixed with a tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Granted, I can see the rationale behind such a move to make such recovery "fees" transparent (you know that places will be upping their prices to help catch up and make up for lost time), but I see this backfiring big time.
Personally I ask - Why isn't left to private business, in this case restaurants, to figure out how they want to make up for lost revenue? Some restaurants may choose to raise prices but others may decide to, pardon the pun, eat it. Some realize that raising prices they may hurt business and actually lose revenue in the long run.

It should be up to each business to decide how they want to handle it.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 PM

75 posts, read 35,245 times
An unintended consequence of this pandemic is many people culinary skills are greatly improved. Since mid March, I have learned how to make New York Cheesecake, Cantonese Roared Pork, Japanese Sushi Roll and more. I used to dine out at least once a week, not anymore. Now, I am chef de cuisine of my family and everyone enjoys it. The more fee they add on, the less likely we will dine out again.

Business party and family gathering are all gone. How many restaurants will last longer than covid-19? Time will tell.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:01 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Personally I ask - Why isn't left to private business, in this case restaurants, to figure out how they want to make up for lost revenue? Some restaurants may choose to raise prices but others may decide to, pardon the pun, eat it. Some realize that raising prices they may hurt business and actually lose revenue in the long run.

It should be up to each business to decide how they want to handle it.
I agree. My point was only that I can see the purpose behind the plan. I don't agree with it or think that it'll work as intended. The plan is a complete disaster waiting to happen.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
All NYC has to do is give out less gift cards and reinstate the bail. Problem solved. The whole problem with bail reform was they need to create new taxes to offset the bail income money loss. Once again, Democrats destroying cities with never ending tax hikes while enriching their political friends.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:54 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All NYC has to do is give out less gift cards and reinstate the bail. Problem solved. The whole problem with bail reform was they need to create new taxes to offset the bail income money loss. Once again, Democrats destroying cities with never ending tax hikes while enriching their political friends.
You were warned.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2020, 02:10 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Apparently the surcharge is optional, but many restaurants oppose it -
https://www.silive.com/entertainment...arge-bill.html

I too don't understand why Borelli backed this idea.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:58 AM

75 posts, read 35,245 times
Did anyone get charged yet? LOL.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Politicians seems more and more useless to society with their lame ideas

Old 09-18-2020, 05:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just when you thought this city couldn't find more ways to get their hands into your back pocket!

"The NYC Council is set to vote on a bill Wednesday that would institute a 10 percent surcharge on diners' total bills to help financially-strapped restaurants hard hit by the coronavirus pandemic."

Cannot believe Joe Borelli is behind this; I'm always standing up for the guy, I feel like I've been stabbed in the heart.

“Now that they are stretched to the max, New York’s restaurants can now join every other city in the country and transparently ask their customers to pay into their recovery, without having to hide costs into their pricing,” said the bill’s prime sponsor Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) on Tuesday. “This is an option the restaurant industry long sought to deal with rising costs.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...3ga-story.html
So stupid. You don't raises "taxes" during an economic crisis. Tbh I have to wonder if this is another way to make sure restaurants stay closed. I really feel bad for restaurant owners. Like hardly any relief for small businesses and then when they plead to open so that they can pay bills, you do something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City