Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM

166 posts, read 705,295 times

Advertisements

Looking at different areas of Brooklyn and have found a lot of info on Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, but not much on Sunset Park and Gravesend. Can anyone tell me what these areas are like? I'm basically looking for a quiet neighbourhood, easy commute to Lower Manhattan, (generally) safe, and has studios/1 bedrooms for around $950-1100. I have lived in majority Asian/Eastern European neighbourhoods in other cities, so diversity is no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,225 times
I live in Gravesend, its both cheap and safe in terms of Brooklyn. I would suggest it over sunset park for sure, only con is its further out.
Here is a picture collection of the main drag near me
Avenue U in Gravesend

Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Sunset park is mainly Hispanic and Chinese, so it kinda sticks out considering its location in Brooklyn.

As for Gravesend, it's basically a more bland, slightly more trashy version of Bensonhurst. Not a bad neighborhood and definitly safe, but seems very average to me. In fact, I read somewhere that a lot of Gravesend residents often mistaken their neighborhood as Bensonhurst since both neighborhoods are so similar.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:36 PM

45 posts, read 58,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Sunset park is mainly Hispanic and Chinese, so it kinda sticks out considering its location in Brooklyn.

As for Gravesend, it's basically a more bland, slightly more trashy version of Bensonhurst. Not a bad neighborhood and definitly safe, but seems very average to me. In fact, I read somewhere that a lot of Gravesend residents often mistaken their neighborhood as Bensonhurst since both neighborhoods are so similar.
Gravesend and Bensonhurst aren't alike at all but they border one another and near the border you might find people saying they live in Bensonhurst and not Gravesend.

I lived in Bensonhurst for 27 years and you can't go wrong there, Bay Ridge is nice too but mainly one train to the city but very nice...and a great nightlife if thats what you are looking for!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1972 View Post
Gravesend and Bensonhurst aren't alike at all but they border one another and near the border you might find people saying they live in Bensonhurst and not Gravesend.

I lived in Bensonhurst for 27 years and you can't go wrong there, Bay Ridge is nice too but mainly one train to the city but very nice...and a great nightlife if thats what you are looking for!
If it was so great why did you leave? Not being sarcastic, just curious for the reason, as I see these types of posts on here over and over again.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If it was so great why did you leave? Not being sarcastic, just curious for the reason, as I see these types of posts on here over and over again.
Trying to figure that one out myself...you always think the grass is greener but it's not and sometimes when you leave it's not economically wise to come back, so thats where I am right now!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Ok makes sense. I've thought of leaving in the past, but have relatives down South who convinced me out of it.

I will say this, the South definitely has much nicer winters than we do up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1972 View Post
Trying to figure that one out myself...you always think the grass is greener but it's not and sometimes when you leave it's not economically wise to come back, so thats where I am right now!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Ok makes sense. I've thought of leaving in the past, but have relatives down South who convinced me out of it.

I will say this, the South definitely has much nicer winters than we do up here.
The weather is great. I could not give that up. Give me this weather up North and life would be perfect.......

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
What is so bad about the winter here? It is quite mild compared to many places in the US. What bugs me most about the weather here is how hot and humid it is during the SUMMER!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
What is so bad about the winter here? It is quite mild compared to many places in the US. What bugs me most about the weather here is how hot and humid it is during the SUMMER!
Me too. Can't stand the hot weather. Anything over 75 and I start to feel uncomfortable. And once the humidity comes. . . wow, I can't wait for summer to be over.

I think Santa Fe, New Mexico has perfect weather. NOT the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City