Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:11 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
How anyone could wish to weather a pandemic in NYC of all places is beyond my human level of reasoning. I don't think open streets are a silver lining at all (it just increases crowded sidewalks and makes things even more uncomfortable than what they were, but I'll give you that that is just my personal preference).

I said NYC CEOs. If you take into account how many employees they have, it is over a million.

I really really really hope there is no more violent crime/murder this year in NYC, but at this rate of shootings, I predict this year the # of murders will surpass those of 2015.
Yes, 2015 was such a frightful year. I'd rather be in NYC because I have a pretty nice living situation here where I have a lot of parks around, eateries open for takeout, and very good and varied produce. There's still some semblance of community / human life here even if it's not as bustling as prior to the pandemic. I don't know if you understand what open streets are. The streets are closed off from vehicular through-traffic so that people can actually go on to the streets instead of being on the sidewalks so that you don't need to crowd them. There is more utilization that comes with it, but geometrically the spaces given over to cars on the streets is often quite a lot compared to sidewalks and the average size of people.

You said "the NYC CEOs", not NYC CEOs. And yea, some can decamp, but for some it'll cost a dear amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 AM

463 posts, read 207,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, 2015 was such a frightful year. I'd rather be in NYC because I have a pretty nice living situation here where I have a lot of parks around, eateries open for takeout, and very good and varied produce. There's still some semblance of community / human life here even if it's not as bustling as prior to the pandemic. I don't know if you understand what open streets are. The streets are closed off from vehicular through-traffic so that people can actually go on to the streets instead of being on the sidewalks so that you don't need to crowd them. There is more utilization that comes with it, but geometrically the spaces given over to cars on the streets is often quite a lot compared to sidewalks and the average size of people.

You said "the NYC CEOs", not NYC CEOs. And yea, some can decamp, but for some it'll cost a dear amount.
I believe there will be a bounce back in regard to remote work. While it will undoubtedly be more common than it was just 8 months ago for the foreseeable future, once human contact becomes safe again, people will once again realize the importance of proximity in regard to work and play.

The bigger impact is to the mom and pop shops. Some will weather the storm well, many will not. However, CEOs and large companies will always be in NYC. The rest is just wishful thinking by those that want to see the city fail due to the politics (and I don't like Democrats or Republicans).

Old 09-23-2020, 09:10 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,413,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I mean, yeah COVID has made most dense American cities shells of their former selves vs. 3 years ago. That's what happens when a not insignificant portion of the population abruptly leaves town for 6 months - you're left with a higher proportion of destitute and mentally ill. Hard to blame that on any one-person or party, although I'm sure this site will anyway.

If you compare, say, January of 2020 to January of 2017, I don't think anyone would say that it's any different at all. From my personal (work) corner of Manhattan it was actually much nicer since a bunch of retail/dining opened up since then.

Covid has not made most dense American cities shells of their former selves :-). Boston, which has good law enforcement/almost no violent crime in the central area of the city, in general and during covid in particular, is fully its former self, only with people wearing masks and riding public transportation less than usual. The destitute and mentally ill are not particularly noticeable in the streets. And nobody has been moving out, the city is only getting a minor influx of former New Yorkers. So no, most dense American cities have been okay to almost a surprising degree, considering the circumstances - less than a dozen have been hit by anarchy, increased crime, and takeover of public space by the homeless/mentally ill. What is happening in NYC is by no means common in all large cities nationwide.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 AM

357 posts, read 728,161 times
I wonder how safe the president felt in NYC when he was building his business in the 1980s when the murder rate was about 5 times what it is today and other crimes were even higher than that.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,748,458 times
"Anarchy" is under most circumstances just a vague word for disgruntled people to use that makes them feel like they're identifying an actual problem. No one has an actual definition for it as a Terrible Social Ill that would stand up to close inspection as something that's actually measurably happening in a widespread way, but all of their friends are saying it, so it makes them feel like they're having a thought rather than just mindlessly regurgitating their prejudices. That city was hit by anarchy! Oh, man, they're terrible! Send in the troops! Not another hit by anarchy! According to the DOJ definition, if you reduce funding to the cops by $1, ever, you are an "anarchist jurisdiction" and deserve to be punished in all sorts of ways. Next time, just say "I'm a white supremacist looking for a Big Man to kneel down in front of."

Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM

9,158 posts, read 6,347,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Yes, other than the fantastic harbor, easy access to beaches, rivers, woods, and hills; comfortable four season climate, plentiful and healthy water supply, proximity to the 'old country' (for some), I can't imagine a less ideal place for a city.
Easy access? Since when is an island, any island easy access?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:37 PM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Easy access? Since when is an island, any island easy access?
When the island has a lot of stuff on it and there's a lot of infrastructure and modes to get on and off the islands. It could use more infrastructure though.

There are a lot of notable island cities in the world. Montreal, Singapore, Zanzibar, Venice, Mumbai, a good chunk of Hong Kong. A lot of these have fairly good access.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:03 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,756,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
So all these people getting mugged, stores robbed and even people getting murdered is all made up huh? Are all the shootings also made up? You're right -- all politics and unfortunately, NYC politics is DEADLY for the working person who pays taxes and is a decent citizen.

Saying you personally have had no problems is problematic for many reasons. That's like me saying that I went on a tour in some third world violent country and personally didn't experience any problems. Doesn't take away from the fact those places are not the best.
I’m not sure where you are getting your info from, but NYC is still, by far, the safest large city in the US.

The weather is beautiful and the parks are full of New Yorkers social distancing while enjoying our beautiful parks.

Say hi to Putin for me...

Old 09-28-2020, 04:12 AM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
from the article:

Administrator Andrew R. Wheeler torched the duo’s leadership and lashed them for their failure to act during the July “Occupy City Hall” protests that damaged the EPA office and surrounding buildings.

Cuomo spokesman Richard Azzopardi said the threat was “another transparent political game from this federal government.”

Response: Opinion

Please..............Damaging buildings is likewise a political stunt ?.....( sarcasm )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City