Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 03:14 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
But it was better and getter even better here, now we are backsliding terribly. That's real, noticeable, and it worries people.
Its very noticable now. Traveling to work at the crack of dawn some days puts me on edge also. I dont use headphones at all on the subway or streets anymore either.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:34 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I know. Since I retired I've started a job that takes me in and out of different neighborhoods all over the city. I actually see more now than I did as a cop. It's clearly getting worse. The other day I was on the west side in midtown for something and I took notice of how many businesses/buildings have visible security out front now as opposed to the discreet security inside wearing suits which was typical of years past.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-03-2020, 06:36 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its very noticable now. Traveling to work at the crack of dawn some days puts me on edge also. I dont use headphones at all on the subway or streets anymore either.
I don’t do headphones-while-strolling either. I had an aunt who died listening to her walkman in Orlando about thirty years ago, hit crossing the street. That, and the overuse of phones on crosswalks is deadly, in the long run, statistically speaking.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:02 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I hear you, but the city has always had crime. Since its inception. Cities always have crime.

Singapore has essentially no crime. Tokyo has very little crime. There are many large cities worldwide with fairly little crime, less per capita crime than even some smaller towns. Singapore is close to 70% size of NYC, Tokyo is larger than NYC by almost one million people, but they surely do have law enforcement :-). Lack of adequate law enforcement is the main reason for a city having crime, not the fact that cities "always have crime" (ie, your "fact" is actually not a fact).

Old 10-03-2020, 09:41 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Singapore has essentially no crime. Tokyo has very little crime. There are many large cities worldwide with fairly little crime, less per capita crime than even some smaller towns. Singapore is close to 70% size of NYC, Tokyo is larger than NYC by almost one million people, but they surely do have law enforcement :-). Lack of adequate law enforcement is the main reason for a city having crime, not the fact that cities "always have crime" (ie, your "fact" is actually not a fact).
Since Singapore and Tokyo are safe, then they should not need police. They still have them. Cities always have crime, that is a fact. The fine to throw chewing gum is $6,000? Well somebody had to have been throwing chewing gum around to make them set the fine. You want zero crime, you go off the grid. The ideology of "this city only has 1 murder last year so its safe" is a false narrative, somebody still lost their life to crime. Ppl delude themselves so bad its unreal out here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2020, 09:49 AM

You have societies on this planet with virtually no crime.

Then you have American society, that had primetime shows like "COPS" & "America's Most Wanted"

The United States of America, if you guys remember, were the original 13 colonies of England. This country was literally built to make money, and thats it. So America makes money off of crime too. Things will get better eventually.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-03-2020 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-03-2020, 10:15 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
It will get better when we have a mayor that knows what he's doing.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
It will get better when we have a mayor that knows what he's doing.
You still don't get it. Read my above post.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Law enforcement and "diversity". Regardless of the race, less diverse countries/cities tend to be more safe.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Since Singapore and Tokyo are safe, then they should not need police. They still have them. Cities always have crime, that is a fact. The fine to throw chewing gum is $6,000? Well somebody had to have been throwing chewing gum around to make them set the fine. You want zero crime, you go off the grid. The ideology of "this city only has 1 murder last year so its safe" is a false narrative, somebody still lost their life to crime. Ppl delude themselves so bad its unreal out here.
That's a ridiculous bar to set. One murder in a small town - likely by a known perp - does not equivocate to a city like NY where random crime happens daily. Come on man.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City