Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 03:33 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Don't forget the neighborhoods on the west side, as in West Side Story.

These ethnic neighborhoods were razed to build Lincoln Center, again due to Robert Moses.

"Lincoln Center was the crown-jewel project of the Mayor’s Committee on Slum Clearance, which was overseen by Robert Moses, the man who reshaped the city in the mid-20th century. The “urban renewal” plan, which leveled 18 city blocks on the Upper West Side, also included educational, commercial and residential facilities.

The project displaced more than 7,000 lower-class families and 800 businesses. Few, if any, of the 4,400 new housing units were intended for the area’s previous residents, who were almost exclusively black and Hispanic. Even worse, the relocation assistance promised by the committee never materialized.

“Moses was not making even a pretense of creating new homes for the families displaced,” Robert A. Caro wrote in “The Power Broker,” the Pulitzer-winning biography of the planning czar’s life and career.

Many of these evicted New Yorkers instead crammed into other low-income areas like Harlem and parts of the Bronx, deepening the rift of segregation and, ironically, creating new slums in a different part of the city."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/n...nt-pretty.html
This is blatantly wrong. The NYCHA projects in midtown behind Lincoln Center are 99% black and hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 05:30 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is blatantly wrong. The NYCHA projects in midtown behind Lincoln Center are 99% black and hispanic.

The NYCHA housing behind Lincoln Center are the Amsterdam Houses and were not part of the Lincoln Center slum removal project. These buildings, with more than 1000 apartments, were completed in 1948.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The NYCHA housing behind Lincoln Center are the Amsterdam Houses and were not part of the Lincoln Center slum removal project. These buildings, with more than 1000 apartments, were completed in 1948.
Ah ok.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:24 PM

21 posts, read 7,154 times
Today I went to my favorite old school Italian sandwich shop. All of the employees appeared to be from latin american culture. Why keep calling places like these “italian”?

I noticed the same thing happened with my favorite old school Irish pub. The pub only employs people from latin america background with not a single Irish person anywhere in sight.

When I walked outside this morning I saw a crew of construction workers. Irish used to do construction, but what I saw this morning was dozens of 4’2” latin american men working illegally.

I am starting to identify a pattern………

Old 03-10-2023, 07:41 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayzsnowing View Post
Today I went to my favorite old school Italian sandwich shop. All of the employees appeared to be from latin american culture. Why keep calling places like these “italian”?

I noticed the same thing happened with my favorite old school Irish pub. The pub only employs people from latin america background with not a single Irish person anywhere in sight.

When I walked outside this morning I saw a crew of construction workers. Irish used to do construction, but what I saw this morning was dozens of 4’2” latin american men working illegally.

I am starting to identify a pattern………
It's been like that for ages now; rare you find a totally Italian staff pizza place, restaurant or whatever anymore. Ditto for Irish and even things like Greek owned diners.

Good part of it is Italians, Irish, and others over generations became educated and move up and on from such jobs. Other bit of it is what immigration from old country there is likely are better educated Italians, Irish or whatever so they don't have to bust themselves in menial jobs.

There are still plenty of Irish in the trades however (just stand or walk around avenues leading to and from GCT in morning or evening rush hours and listen for that unmistakable Irish accent.

Even where you have multi generation bakeries, cheese shops, or other Irish, Italian or whatever places the older generation is retiring and younger either don't want in or their parents rather they had a career elsewhere.

Long story short you don't have the unlimited supply of cheap labor fresh off the boat, nor tons of Irish, Italian, German or whatever immigrants who are dirt poor and also uneducated or otherwise not able to do better than grunt work in a restaurant, bar or food place.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 7,154 times
Yeah I know, these places are purely façade. I will also add that Italians or Irish are not liked by the latino american workers. They only get along with other latin american workers and they bully other cultures outta there. The whole thing is just insulting.

I know an old school Italian pastry shop that has hundreds of latin american workers. Yet the customers (mostly tourists) still line up to get their overpriced “Italian” pastries and pies. I dislike the place. It is just insulting.

You know who has better pastries? Some of those Dominican pastry shops in Washington Heights. Dominican workers make them. Dominicans work the counters. The places do not lie about who they are. It’s not expensive either.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:27 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Case in point Lenny's pizza joint out in Bensonhurst (of Saturday Night Fever fame) closed last month.

Place still IA owned and operated but plenty of Latino/Hispanic on staff.

Owner is taking a well deserved retirement.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...unday/4112475/

Old 03-11-2023, 02:53 PM

The Italian pizzerias got replaced by the Albanians. They are majority Muslim Slavs who pretend to be Italians. Although they are still white, god forbid you make the mistake of calling an Albanian a Serbian, Croatian, or a Bosnian unless you want to see WW3. They have been fighting each other since Medieval times.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:47 AM

313 posts, read 212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The Italian pizzerias got replaced by the Albanians. They are majority Muslim Slavs who pretend to be Italians. Although they are still white, god forbid you make the mistake of calling an Albanian a Serbian, Croatian, or a Bosnian unless you want to see WW3. They have been fighting each other since Medieval times.
Albanians are not Slavs.. nor speak a Slavic language..

Old 03-12-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
Albanians are not Slavs.. nor speak a Slavic language..
Albanian is not a Slavic language but the people in the Balkans are heavily intermixed with Slavic bloodlines. Albania used to be a part of the Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Empire and the region was heavily settled by Slavs. Then in the intervening centuries, they spent centuries committing war crimes (including violating each others' women) against each other. Turkish, Slavic, Aryan, Greek, Arab, its all mixed up by this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City