Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 06:12 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The city should do what other countries offer. In countries like India and China, the government hires bathroom attendants who live in an adjacent apartment rent free. They're allowed to supplement their income by having a tip jar next to the faucets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
We can't do anything like that. It's too obvious and common sense.
It's not like the bathrooms are so clean in other countries. We had "bathroom attendants" in Italy at places like train stations and while they didn't look filthy, they often were pretty rank smelling, and the attendants expected a tip. For what?

For some reason, I can't what my experiences was like in Canada and other places in Europe regarding the bathroom situation. They must've been clean though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 08:44 AM

1,159 posts, read 875,127 times
I agree that it is not easy to find an UNlocked public bathroom in NYC these days. I know that some Starbucks have them available to anyone, but they tend to have long lines. Most McDonalds have them locked now or not available. If you come across an Apple store and get past the greeters, there are normally public restrooms in the back. Forget Port Authority or Penn Station.....even if you can find a stall for #2, they tend to be disgusting. The public restrooms at the WTC PATH station tend to be more clean and have available stalls outside of rush hour. Otherwise, I normally just walk into any random bar or restaurant and simply order a drink at the bar, just so I can use the BR in an emergency. Always good to have some places in mind, in any given neighborhood. I was in Williamsburg last Tues evening and simply stopped in a local bar, ordered a cheap happy hour beer just to use their BR.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:16 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,043,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's not like the bathrooms are so clean in other countries. We had "bathroom attendants" in Italy at places like train stations and while they didn't look filthy, they often were pretty rank smelling, and the attendants expected a tip. For what?

For some reason, I can't what my experiences was like in Canada and other places in Europe regarding the bathroom situation. They must've been clean though.
Hold the stations accountable with letter grades and snap inspections by the Sanitation/Health Depts. Also, the difference is that in Italy I'm pretty sure the attendants didn't work there nor were they government employees. More likely, they were illegal immigrant "economic refugees" who decided to make money from tourists. Italy has a huge human smuggling problem with illegals from sub-Saharan Africa trying to cross the Mediterranean on boat. Most make it although a large number drown on the voyage.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,793,023 times
A-ha!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Bill aims to address NYC's 'notorious' lack of public bathrooms

Old 04-28-2022, 05:02 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I agree that it is not easy to find an UNlocked public bathroom in NYC these days. I know that some Starbucks have them available to anyone, but they tend to have long lines. Most McDonalds have them locked now or not available. If you come across an Apple store and get past the greeters, there are normally public restrooms in the back. Forget Port Authority or Penn Station.....even if you can find a stall for #2, they tend to be disgusting. The public restrooms at the WTC PATH station tend to be more clean and have available stalls outside of rush hour. Otherwise, I normally just walk into any random bar or restaurant and simply order a drink at the bar, just so I can use the BR in an emergency. Always good to have some places in mind, in any given neighborhood. I was in Williamsburg last Tues evening and simply stopped in a local bar, ordered a cheap happy hour beer just to use their BR.
If you're near a target or best buy they have them too.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:55 PM

546 posts, read 720,119 times
Any suggestions for a restroom near Washington Square Park? The bathroom there closes early, I think 5 or 8PM?

Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Any hotel lobby?

Old 05-04-2022, 03:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,142,305 times
In Paris, they built these big single user toilets that self clean in a minute between users. It slf sprays and disinfects and dries the whole toilet, even the sink. It is like a giant hovel with automatic sliding doors which shut tight when using it. They are everywhere on the sidewalks of major streets, mainly. They have started installing them in Montreal’s downtown districts, too. They are safe and must cost a bundle to implement.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:50 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,193,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
In Paris, they built these big single user toilets that self clean in a minute between users. It slf sprays and disinfects and dries the whole toilet, even the sink. It is like a giant hovel with automatic sliding doors which shut tight when using it. They are everywhere on the sidewalks of major streets, mainly. They have started installing them in Montreal’s downtown districts, too. They are safe and must cost a bundle to implement.
OMG do AMerican city's need these and bad!

Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,908,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Any hotel lobby?
Doubtful. COVID put the "kibosh" on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City