Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 07:52 AM

30 posts, read 51,659 times

Advertisements

Hello I just moved into this 3 bedroom brooklyn apartment this summer.From day 1 I've been duped.The realtor showed me the bathroom which had jets in the bathtub and assured me they worked.Upon move in about a week later I noticed the bathtub jets were disabled and taken out.I text the landlord about it and she told me it doesnt work....Lie number 1.I wanted an apartment with TWO bathrooms but i settled on this one because my kids would've enjoyed the hottub like jets. My guess she took the tub apart to prevent long baths/electricity usage.

When I moved in I noticed she was around ALOT eventhough she doesn't live here.She made excuses every other day to come into my apartment and EVERY time she complained about lights being on..if i had my kitchen light on and I was in the livingroom she complained.If my bedroom light was on she complained.She just kept telling me to keep all my lights off .I dont like dark houses.

Now winter is here and she sent a text on October 15th that the heat was on but i had zero heat..My daughter's bedroom in particular at the front of the house was absolutely freezing...a good 15 degrees lower than the livingroom.So the landlord comes over to set the thermostat which annoyed me because of all the apartments ive lived in that was all utilities included they never used a thermostat they simply turned the heat on and they stayed on 24/7..nice and toasty.

So she comes over and says oh i have to set the thermostat...and im thinking its in a communal space like the living room or hallway...nope....the thermostat is in my BEDROOM another cost cutting cheap measure she no doubtedly cooked up.My bedroom is small and in the back of the house and is naturally naturally warmer than the rest of the house..the thermostat IMO should be in the livingroom or hallway.

She sets the temperature at 68 locks it up and leaves...the house is FREEZING...as soon as my bedroom reaches 68 the heat shuts off completely to the whole house.I dont want my kids without any heat so i have to keep my bedroom door open 24/7 because if i close it and it reads 69 it shuts off....I think the thermostat is rigged because me and my kids are shivering but it says its at 68 .

Im getting depressed realizing ill never have a day when i come from outside and get that warm toasty air im used to.

68 is way too low .I feel the thermostat should not be in my bed room because my bedroom isnt the temperature of the whole house!

How do I approach this lady about this issue? I guarantee HER home thermostat isnt set at no damn 68 degrees .

I cant even shut my bedroom door and im still freezing.I regret moving in here.I spent so much time saving for this deposit and broker's fee just to end up freezing all winter.

Im getting angry and fed up....I want to take a hammer to this thermostat cover break the ***** open and set it to 73.This is ridiculous.I am cold and i feel the thermostat should be in the livingroom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 08:04 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Is this a private house/owner?

(If so that is mistake #1.)

Better dig deep in your pockets and get ready to cough up extra for a space heater and get into arguments with the landlord over the ConEd bill.

Utilities included + Private Landlord = Landlord will complain 24/7/365 about how your lights are always on, you're running too much water and your kids are too loud etc.

Document video tape everything, the temperature, thermostat, your kids screaming "Mommy I'm cold" and Doctors notes etc.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:05 AM

I am friggin freezing!!! This cannot be life

Old 11-04-2020, 08:06 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Stop paying rent
Buy portable heaters

Old 11-04-2020, 08:11 AM

7,354 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI2016 View Post
I'm sorry.

Call your realtor and ask for guidance.

Call a lawyer.

Go online or call 311. https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01036

Old 11-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Is this a private house/owner?

(If so that is mistake #1.)

Better dig deep in your pockets and get ready to cough up extra for a space heater and get into arguments with the landlord over the ConEd bill.

Utilities included + Private Landlord = Landlord will complain 24/7/365 about how your lights are always on, you're running too much water and your kids are too loud etc.

Document video tape everything, the temperature, thermostat, your kids screaming "Mommy I'm cold" and Doctors notes etc.
Yes this is a private landlord .Im using a section 8 voucher.Im working and i paid 6k cash to move in here for my kids AND im already paying her extra money a month over my voucher amount just to live here thats why she wanted working tenants only.I dont know what else to do .I could buy space heaters but if i use the heater in my bedroom the heat for the whole house will shut off because the thermostat is in my bedroom...i can put heaters in my kids bedrooms but ill still be freezing unless i sleep with one of them.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
How old are you? We've been there done that. Bundle up and drink hot tea. This absolutely is life. It's a cold world.

Many are fortunate and under the illusion that the world is a good place filled with happy good people.

Let me assure you that it is not.

Like I said start collecting evidence and talk to a lawyer or legal aid and see if you should put money in escrow. But you'll need to start calling 311 and getting complaints documented.

And provide more details. I don't know anything about this landlord to give any actionable or specific/constructive advice.

Private Family or Corporation? How many properties do they own? Etc.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I'm sorry.

Call your realtor and ask for guidance.

Call a lawyer.

Go online or call 311. https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01036
The broker is long gone.She lives in Florida and i met her on FB.She left the fb group as soon as she got her broker's fee.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yes this is a private landlord .Im using a section 8 voucher.Im working and i paid 6k cash to move in here for my kids AND im already paying her extra money a month over my voucher amount just to live here thats why she wanted working tenants only.I dont know what else to do .I could buy space heaters but if i use the heater in my bedroom the heat for the whole house will shut off because the thermostat is in my bedroom...i can put heaters in my kids bedrooms but ill still be freezing unless i sleep with one of them.
I'm sorry but this is the kicker right here.

You wouldn't fare any better in public housing. Section 8 basically gets you a roof over your head (albeit a leaky roof) and not much else.

How old are the kids. If they are under 13 you may get some sympathy from a Judge.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I'm sorry but this is the kicker right here.

You wouldn't fare any better in public housing. Section 8 basically gets you a roof over your head (albeit a leaky roof) and not much else.

How old are the kids. If they are under 13 you may get some sympathy from a Judge.
I used to live in nycha and we always had great heat.I only moved out to give my kids a better life and their own bedrooms.I'd prefer to pay my own utilities so i can control the temperature myself but she connected all the apartment utilities together .This is a 2 family house but she also rents out the basement so its 3 families here oh and she has a super long driveway but we're not allowed to park in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: