Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 06:27 AM

19 posts, read 13,995 times

Advertisements

Hi
I moved to NY from Europe in February 2020 – relocation with my employer. Plan was that I moved over and wife and kids were to follow in the summer. I was planning to commute a little between Europe and NY until they moved over. Europe travel ban was announced shortly after I arrived there so I moved home until covid passes – which we thought would be a few weeks!
So now it looks like it will be early next year at the soonest before I move over. I’m looking for a neighborhood recommendation for me to take an apartment for a short to medium term until the family moves over. I’m looking for a nice safe area, easy/short commute on foot or public transport to midtown. Not looking to pay a fortune on rent.
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 06:34 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
We need your budget for you to get any sort of answer

Old 11-06-2020, 07:10 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisbutascratch View Post
Hi
I moved to NY from Europe in February 2020 – relocation with my employer. Plan was that I moved over and wife and kids were to follow in the summer. I was planning to commute a little between Europe and NY until they moved over. Europe travel ban was announced shortly after I arrived there so I moved home until covid passes – which we thought would be a few weeks!
So now it looks like it will be early next year at the soonest before I move over. I’m looking for a neighborhood recommendation for me to take an apartment for a short to medium term until the family moves over. I’m looking for a nice safe area, easy/short commute on foot or public transport to midtown. Not looking to pay a fortune on rent.
Any recommendations?

Since I never looked to rent but only buy, I don't know the rental situation, but small coops in Midtown East, including Murray Hill and in/around Tudor City/E 42nd St are pretty cheap to buy compared with buying in many major European cities. I am not sure whether renatal prices follow purchase prices (another thread suggests that they may not). Residential areas in Midtown East are all safe. Rental prices in Manhattan below the 96th St are generally high by the US standards, but if you are coming from a major Western European city, they actually may not look all that high to you. There are many apartment search websites - I'd search by Murray Hill, Tudor City, and within half a mile of Tudor City.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Since I never looked to rent but only buy, I don't know the rental situation, but small coops in Midtown East, including Murray Hill and in/around Tudor City/E 42nd St are pretty cheap to buy compared with buying in many major European cities. I am not sure whether renatal prices follow purchase prices (another thread suggests that they may not). Residential areas in Midtown East are all safe. Rental prices in Manhattan below the 96th St are generally high by the US standards, but if you are coming from a major Western European city, they actually may not look all that high to you. There are many apartment search websites - I'd search by Murray Hill, Tudor City, and within half a mile of Tudor City.
Thanks for that, I did consider trying to buy something but as a newbie to US I'm unsure about HOA fees etc. so thought it might make sense to rent for a year.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
We need your budget for you to get any sort of answer
Thanks, budget is flexible up to probably max 3500-4000 per month but ideally around 2500. Since it's just an interim until the family moves over it doesn't need to be flash.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:39 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Thanks, budget is flexible up to probably max 3500-4000 per month but ideally around 2500. Since it's just an interim until the family moves over it doesn't need to be flash.
Depending on where in Midtown you would be working, the Upper East Side, Murray Hill or East Midtown might make might make sense.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:11 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Thanks for that, I did consider trying to buy something but as a newbie to US I'm unsure about HOA fees etc. so thought it might make sense to rent for a year.

Renting for a year makes sense (actually, renting makes sense if you'll be in NYC for a few years only. You will have difficulty finding a condo to buy in Manhattan, and co-ops have large monthly fees, plus NYC real estate rules are extremely complicated). If you need a small apartment for yourself only (eg, a studio apartment) for half a year or so, you should have no difficulty finding it for less than $2,500 in Midtown East, particularly with the increased rental inventory during Covid.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:24 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
There's a huge Facebook group of people leaving the city due to Covid -- I wish I could remember what it's called. There's been some press about it. In any case, if you can find it, join it because there are a number of posts from people looking to sublet their Manhattan apartments at reduced prices. Seems like this could work for you since you only need something short term.

In terms of neighborhoods, I much prefer Upper West Side over Tudor City area. Which part of Midtown is your job? If it's on the East side, then I would not recommend Upper West Side as subways are not great cross-town (they work better North-South).

Old 11-06-2020, 08:43 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There's a huge Facebook group of people leaving the city due to Covid -- I wish I could remember what it's called. There's been some press about it. In any case, if you can find it, join it because there are a number of posts from people looking to sublet their Manhattan apartments at reduced prices. Seems like this could work for you since you only need something short term.

In terms of neighborhoods, I much prefer Upper West Side over Tudor City area. Which part of Midtown is your job? If it's on the East side, then I would not recommend Upper West Side as subways are not great cross-town (they work better North-South).
The Upper West Side in the past was a good choice. Now, with the homeless overrunning the neighborhood, not so much.

Rents have fallen sharply there for a reason...

Old 11-06-2020, 08:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Upper West Side in the past was a good choice. Now, with the homeless overrunning the neighborhood, not so much.

Rents have fallen sharply there for a reason...
Maybe it depends on which block. I wouldn't want to live on a block with hotels housing homeless, but I guess other blocks are probably ok. I haven't noticed anything bad when I've been to the area between 72nd/Broadway and Central Park, but I've only been a few times in the past couple months, which is vastly different than living there. So who knows.

I'd still rather live there than Tudor City/Murray Hill. I just don't like the areas directly south of 42nd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City