Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:52 AM

329 posts, read 431,162 times

Advertisements

Folks - just had my smart meter installed. Does anybody know how many days after does live usage start appearing on the coned.com website

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 11:20 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Who installed it?

Old 02-05-2021, 11:32 AM

191 posts, read 220,492 times
coned just installed on my building, main purpose i suppose is not to do any more "Estimated" billings, they will all be actual readings, i believe they can also shut service off or on remotely too.
only time will tell if it is an improvement or a high tech rip off on the consumer.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:37 AM

329 posts, read 431,162 times
Aclara who are sub-contractors for coned

Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 PM

138 posts, read 149,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
...how many days after does live usage start appearing on the coned.com website
Two and a half weeks for me.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:44 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
Aclara who are sub-contractors for coned
How long did it take to actually install the meter on your premises?

Old 02-05-2021, 04:00 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
coned just installed on my building, main purpose i suppose is not to do any more "Estimated" billings, they will all be actual readings, i believe they can also shut service off or on remotely too.
only time will tell if it is an improvement or a high tech rip off on the consumer.
Yes, that is part of the "benefits" of having new smart meter. Con Edison boasted that customers would no longer have to wait for them to send someone out to connect new service or reconnect one that was disconnected. Bit down they also stated service could be disconnected remotely as well, which puts an end to service not being turned off when it should because Con Edison couldn't get access to meter.

Once fully rolled out of course this means Con Edison won't need meter readers any longer, so guess those people will be reassigned elsewhere in company.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:44 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
I've seen no change either way in my electric bill since Con Ed installed a smart meter in 2017.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:42 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, that is part of the "benefits" of having new smart meter. Con Edison boasted that customers would no longer have to wait for them to send someone out to connect new service or reconnect one that was disconnected. Bit down they also stated service could be disconnected remotely as well, which puts an end to service not being turned off when it should because Con Edison couldn't get access to meter.

Once fully rolled out of course this means Con Edison won't need meter readers any longer, so guess those people will be reassigned elsewhere in company.
Wouldn’t natural gas from Con Ed still have to be shut off manually since it’s a physical knob/handle? A few years ago my neighbor wasn’t paying their bill and not allowing Con Ed inside so Con Ed was going to dig up my sidewalk to turn off their gas. Really kind of primitive if they have to do that to turn off service. The neighbor eventually paid before they did that. I went over and told them Con Ed was serious about turning it off and had even put a sawhorse on my sidewalk in anticipation of digging.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:51 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Wouldn’t natural gas from Con Ed still have to be shut off manually since it’s a physical knob/handle? A few years ago my neighbor wasn’t paying their bill and not allowing Con Ed inside so Con Ed was going to dig up my sidewalk to turn off their gas. Really kind of primitive if they have to do that to turn off service. The neighbor eventually paid before they did that. I went over and told them Con Ed was serious about turning it off and had even put a sawhorse on my sidewalk in anticipation of digging.
Dunno about natural gas, only electric meters.

Yes, have seen it on Staten Island where if property owner didn't pay and (then) Brooklyn Union Gas couldn't get access, they would come and dig up at curb to get at pipe for shutting off. Once this is done that valve remains installed so all BUG (or whoever) had to do in future was come out with a special tool to start or turn off service.

Not sure but *think* whatever gas utility will also turn off things at street if building is being demolished, and or there are issues inside structure.

Out on SI electric meters are on outside of homes, so ConEd just had to come out and turn things off, place a lock on meter and that was that. People would sometimes tamper with meter to get lock off, then things got nasty.

Of course if ConEd couldn't get inside yard or whatever (such as vicious dogs on property), then they couldn't turn off juice at meter either. Not sure what happened in those instances, I presume ConEd or whoever sent a truck out eventually and cut things off at the pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City