Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,860 times

Advertisements

Hi. I moved into a home a few months ago and it had no meter at all. After reading about the controversy over smart meters I decided not to have one. I chose to pay extra to opt out of having a smart meter and an FPL ( Florida power and light ) employee must come out and read it. It is still a digital meter but they claim it is not a smart meter.

Well today an FPL employee came to my door and said he had been told that my meter was cracked and damaged and had to be replaced. I found that strange since I only recently moved in and when he saw the meter he said it didnt look cracked but he still replaced it anyway. He claimed the meter he was replacing it with was not a smart meter but I feel suspicious. It does not have a blue sticker on it but it seems different than the other one I had. How do I know if they put in a non standard non communicating digital meter or if they actually lied to me and put in some sort of smart meter? And if they did lie to me what can I do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
This isn't really a Green Living topic, but since you asked...

A digital meter uses electronics and a digital display to replace the old mechanical meter with the turning gears and dials. It's easier to read, harder to misread. But it still needs to be read by an actual meter reader, who has to come on to your property to read it.

A smart meter adds communication ability. It allows the meter to be read remotely, by a computer, so nobody has to come onto your property.

Personally, I like my privacy and hate being startled by strangers walking around on my property, so I think smart meters are brilliant. And I get far more radiation warming up my cup of coffee in the microwave or having a few text messages come in on my phone than I would from the microbursts of communication that smart meters emit.

Ask your utility company. They are required to tell you what you have. Get the serial number from the meter for reference when you call or write.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Thank you for your reply. I had thought that considering the health concerns from radiation type devices like this and the controversy surrounding them it was a green living issue. I have also read they may be at risk for starting fires and some claim they are overcharging them.

I do not want it period . There is no research to test how much radiation it puts out and many are claiming is is making them feel sick and causing health problems that they did not have before it was put in.

Is there a way to research online exactly what type of meter I have? I have been told that there are different levels of communicating meters so it may be communicating a little. I have even read they now make smart meters that look like analog meters to fool people who do not like them. I pay extra not to have it. Better to play it safe.

Update: I called FPL gave the person on the phone the number written on the meter to find out what kind of meter it was he claims based on the number written on there it is not a smart meter. I know they started replacing the meters after 2009 or so with smart meters so if my new meter is older than that it is probably not a smart meter but if it was made after 2009 it probably is. He couldnt tell me what year it was made. I hope it's true that it's not some form of communicating meter. I really want to find out for sure. I take this issue seriously.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-11-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for your reply. I had thought that considering the health concerns from radiation type devices like this and the controversy surrounding them it was a green living issue. I have also read they may be at risk for starting fires and some claim they are overcharging them.

I do not want it period . There is no research to test how much radiation it puts out and many are claiming is is making them feel sick and causing health problems that they did not have before it was put in.

Is there a way to research online exactly what type of meter I have? I have been told that there are different levels of communicating meters so it may be communicating a little. I have even read they now make smart meters that look like analog meters to fool people who do not like them. I pay extra not to have it. Better to play it safe.

Update: I called FPL gave the person on the phone the number written on the meter to find out what kind of meter it was he claims based on the number written on there it is not a smart meter. I know they started replacing the meters after 2009 or so with smart meters so if my new meter is older than that it is probably not a smart meter but if it was made after 2009 it probably is. He couldnt tell me what year it was made. I hope it's true that it's not some form of communicating meter. I really want to find out for sure. I take this issue seriously.
That's not true, they still make plenty of non-smart meters. The date is not a factor. Smart meters do not cause any more danger to people than other items in the home such as wireless internet, microwave ovens, TV remotes. That is all largely psychological reactions to unfounded rumor. The only real "danger" is to your wallet, because they can bill higher rates based on your usage during peak times. If their rates are set up that way you are not saving by paying more for the non-smart meter unless you are a real heavy user of power such as using AC in Arizona. Many people are surprised to know that their water meter is transmitting data by radio waves.

Automatic Meter Reading (AMR)

https://www.itron.com/na/solutions/P...r-Reading.aspx

Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's not true, they still make plenty of non-smart meters. The date is not a factor. Smart meters do not cause any more danger to people than other items in the home such as wireless internet, microwave ovens, TV remotes. That is all largely psychological reactions to unfounded rumor. The only real "danger" is to your wallet, because they can bill higher rates based on your usage during peak times. If their rates are set up that way you are not saving by paying more for the non-smart meter unless you are a real heavy user of power such as using AC in Arizona. Many people are surprised to know that their water meter is transmitting data by radio waves.

Correct. If one wants to worry about health effects, there are more reasons to concern yourself with the microwave in the kitchen than the smartmeter.

If anyone is really worried about the wireless radio emissions, there are rather simple things they can do to prevent the transmission from entering the home where people might be in close proximity to them. A little research can provide an instructable on how to do just that.

You point out a very important fact; that we have so many devices and items of equipment emitting on so many different radio frequencies that the smart meter isn't the such a big deal.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Many people are surprised to know that their water meter is transmitting data by radio waves.

Not true. It could be done, but odds are that it is not. There are few of these installed, and where they are it is almost all new construction in developments with Smart Grid technology installed.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not true. It could be done, but odds are that it is not. There are few of these installed, and where they are it is almost all new construction in developments with Smart Grid technology installed.
My water and gas meters both transmit radio signals. My house was built in 1929.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Correct. If one wants to worry about health effects, there are more reasons to concern yourself with the microwave in the kitchen than the smartmeter.

If anyone is really worried about the wireless radio emissions, there are rather simple things they can do to prevent the transmission from entering the home where people might be in close proximity to them. A little research can provide an instructable on how to do just that.

You point out a very important fact; that we have so many devices and items of equipment emitting on so many different radio frequencies that the smart meter isn't the such a big deal.

I agree I gave away my microwave to my neighbor. The food tastes lousy from it anyway. What can you do to protect yourself from radiation?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thank you I didnt know that they still make non communicating meters but from what I read n the links you gave the ones on the website do communicate a little because they allow the meter reader to read it when they drive by or walk by with a handheld device. I asked the guy on the phone today about if this one allows a meter reader to read it from the car but he claimed they do not have any at FPL that can do that, but now youve done it lol I will want to research if I have a smart water meter. I do not even know where my meter is located but I think it might be out in the sidewalk near my house so it isnt very close by.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-11-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My water and gas meters both transmit radio signals. My house was built in 1929.

I really didnt know about any smart water meters, I guess they have the most advanced technology in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living