Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 07:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Wow if this happens, holy crap

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/01/twi...manhattan.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I’m all for Penn Station being torn down and rebuilt but those towers are too close to the Empire State building. Kinda wrecks an iconic vantage point.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:44 PM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Two giant skyscrapers that are mostly office space? What could possibly be wrong with that business plan...

Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Maybe they know something you don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Two giant skyscrapers that are mostly office space? What could possibly be wrong with that business plan...

Old 01-11-2021, 08:19 AM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Maybe they know something you don't?
I sure hope so. Cause what I do know is, my company is downsizing some of its offices and planning to downsize the rest, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. Unless these guys already have an anchor tenant in mind, I can't imagine what they're thinking.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine what they're thinking.
Well mega projects like this are years in the making, so by the time you line everything up the market may have dramatically changed for the better. Also, MSG fundamentally does not want to move, they may be paid off to move by the government to the point where this new project is feasible, or at least just the arena portion of it

Old 01-11-2021, 11:52 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
I’m opposed. We don’t need it

Old 01-11-2021, 12:09 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
In order for it to get built, the developers will have to get loans to build it which will be tied to a future mortgage (which will be baked into the deal.) To get that, they'll have to pre lease enough of it to convince the bank they'll be able to pay the mortgage once the building is operating. If they can find credit worthy companies to rent the space, then, by definition, someone needs it. You may not need it, but they don't care what you think.

Having said that, this looks like some architects pie in the sky vision. I don't know who paid for this concept, or if there's a developer behind it who'd set up the financing and get it built. So we'll see if anything comes of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I’m opposed. We don’t need it

Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In order for it to get built, the developers will have to get loans to build it which will be tied to a future mortgage (which will be baked into the deal.) To get that, they'll have to pre lease enough of it to convince the bank they'll be able to pay the mortgage once the building is operating. If they can find credit worthy companies to rent the space, then, by definition, someone needs it. You may not need it, but they don't care what you think.

Having said that, this looks like some architects pie in the sky vision. I don't know who paid for this concept, or if there's a developer behind it who'd set up the financing and get it built. So we'll see if anything comes of it.
There are two main drivers to this project:

(1) There is public pressure to reclaim the Penn Station head house and kick out MSG's sweetheart property tax deal (which should be lessened with Moynihan opened)
(2) That block between 6th and 7th massively massively under-built and they want to maximize density in transportation centers like they just did with Grand Central

Old 01-11-2021, 12:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
I sure hope so. Cause what I do know is, my company is downsizing some of its offices and planning to downsize the rest, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. Unless these guys already have an anchor tenant in mind, I can't imagine what they're thinking.

Maybe they are thinking that Work From Home is going away by 2023 or whenever. It's not. Highly paid suburban employees in particular have taken to WFH in a huge way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City