Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,272 times

Advertisements

WIOD NewsRadio 610 - News | Traffic | Weather - 24/7 - 610wiod.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
How can they even think about building these buildings. We have so many vacant places downtown. It will take time to get these sold. And they think that in two years there will be plenty of people to fill these places. If they said they were going to build these 5 years ago, I would of been for them. But not today. So I went to their site and voted no.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
That is a Kobi Karp development that there have been many discussions on height restrictions by the FAA,they had limited it to 790 feet and now they are being more lenient. It had been slated to be 106-110 stories at one time and between 1100-1200 feet in height. I feel there will be more delays in the future,now they are worried about hurricane winds and its effects on the structure,so we will see.

I feel positive about One Bayfront Plaza office building Tibor Hollo Developer slated to rise 1,010 feet could be Miami's first supertall

Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Go ahead and build the monstrosity, it will be too funny when it ends up mostly vacant!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
How can they even think about building these buildings. We have so many vacant places downtown. It will take time to get these sold. And they think that in two years there will be plenty of people to fill these places. If they said they were going to build these 5 years ago, I would of been for them. But not today. So I went to their site and voted no.
Why should you care how many vacant places are downtown and how long it will take to fill them? It's not your money, it's the developer's money. If the developer guesses wrong he, his investors, and the financing banks take a multi-hundred million dollar bath.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,897 times
"Impact on the surrounding buildings" is usually code for NIMBY. I hate NIMBYs. If the building blocks your view, you should have bought the air rights over that land to stop that.

Is Max Mayfield a licensed civil engineer? Has he ever designed a skyscraper? Why should we or the Commission listen to a word has has to say on this subject?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
The Developers are already tied into these properties sunk their money into them and can't unload them to another buyer,they might as well go ahead as planned.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
"Impact on the surrounding buildings" is usually code for NIMBY. I hate NIMBYs. If the building blocks your view, you should have bought the air rights over that land to stop that.

Is Max Mayfield a licensed civil engineer? Has he ever designed a skyscraper? Why should we or the Commission listen to a word has has to say on this subject?
No, Max Mayfield just predicted the incredible disaster that was hurricane Katrina and warned NOLA local politicians that there would be flooding and that the levees would be susceptible to the surge. That's WHY we should listen to him. He was the head of the National Hurricane Center for alot of reasons, but you go ahead and listen to the civil engineer and the architect...

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
the public has no say in this really because it is private property and it's zoned in a commercial area of the city. One Bayfront Plaza has already been approved at over 1000 feet a few blocks south so what is the big deal? From what I understand it will be several years before these towers even begin construction and as for the hurricane issue many buildings in southeast Asia that are even taller get hit by hurricanes/typhoons as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Because it is my money, I do business with these developers. If they don't make money, I don't make money. And we are all affected my the condos that are empty. Every person that has their home for sale is affected by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Why should you care how many vacant places are downtown and how long it will take to fill them? It's not your money, it's the developer's money. If the developer guesses wrong he, his investors, and the financing banks take a multi-hundred million dollar bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: