Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 04:35 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, yea, they are passing the costs to the customers though not necessarily all of it. However, it's not necessarily BS as that isn't mutually exclusive from the restaurants having a hard time with the fees. As people move towards online ordering for the convenience, they can also move away from ordering via phones with the increase in online orders diminishing the number of phone orders. At the same time, the total number of orders can go down since the higher price point may result in fewer total overall orders. It's a pretty large dynamic system you can try to model out, but chances are good that many restaurants will end up with a lower net take home for any arbitrary unit of work.
You are spot on. I have been complaining to my local pizzeria about them not having their own delivery service for years - owner said it's too expensive, so I can order directly online using their website, and then the order goes to a third party like DoorDash. Small businesses, at least some of them in my area have finally invested in an online system where I can place the order online. I hate ordering over the phone. Takes too long and I don't feel like being on hold and heaving to repeat my order and all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 05:05 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
technology doesn't stop for anyone
if you can't adapt you die it's that simple.

if restaurants lose money taking app orders the solution is simple- stop using them.

i feel horrible for them for this pandemic but the apps are here to stay.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:32 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
technology doesn't stop for anyone
if you can't adapt you die it's that simple.

if restaurants lose money taking app orders the solution is simple- stop using them.

i feel horrible for them for this pandemic but the apps are here to stay.
So it is supposed to be a mustard-based salad, right? Like a dijon mustard cole slaw? dijon slaw? djohn slaw? It that correct?

Old 12-15-2020, 12:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
I never use the apps, I always call them directly on the phone

Old 12-15-2020, 05:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response:Opinion

Apps killing Restaurants is nothing compared to online purchasing that has killed
brick and mortar from Malls across the country to the little mom and pop shop down
at the corner. The more you shop on line the more you have yourself to blame................

Deeper and deeper into our own caves we scurry.........have plenty of Vitamin D on hand. Your'e gonna need it!

Old 12-15-2020, 06:01 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Since the pandemic and that guy posted the ridiculous app fees he was charged, I've cut way back. I'll go onto the app to find a restaurant and food I like, then just call the place directly. That way I still get to scroll and see all the options, but the restaurant doesn't get screwed by the middle man.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:05 AM

596 posts, read 253,047 times
they could make their own app tho

Old 12-15-2020, 08:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 561,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
they could make their own app tho
This is what I've been saying about actual taxis too, especially out on LI. There is no reason the taxi and limousine lobby couldn't band together to make their own app and divvy up the calls based on existing territories (by either origin or destination of the ride). They would have more of a right to be upset if something underhanded were actually happening instead of competition coming in with a more efficient and profitable business model

Old 12-15-2020, 09:07 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
these apps ain’t even worth it. you add on all the fees and you could pick up the phone, order and get another damn entree with the amount you would pay in fees.
they are really raking in, banking on the fact they know people are lazy
For once we agree.

I've never understood why they exist at all. Some restaurants even require you to order that way. Whenever that's the case, it's their problem for putting a middle-man into the mix. Whenever possible, I just call the restaurant.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-15-2020, 10:09 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For once we agree.

I've never understood why they exist at all. Some restaurants even require you to order that way. Whenever that's the case, it's their problem for putting a middle-man into the mix. Whenever possible, I just call the restaurant.
If you're looking to increase the amount of orders you do, along with cutting back time being spent on the phone, you can do well that way. Less errors and more streamlined. Some restaurants have done just that since the pandemic with no middle man. Order directly through the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City