Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:29 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Don't know which I prefer better...

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/upp...pper-west-side

The Upper East Side vs. Upper West Side: Which of these NYC neighborhoods is best? Here is an inside look at the differences between the areas.

The Upper East Side and Upper West Side are two of New York’s most coveted neighborhoods. They are among the city’s wealthiest and most sought-after areas and contain some of the world’s most iconic real estate. There is often a debate among New Yorkers as to which area is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 08:05 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Upper West side I run errands and go for walks.
Upper East side I go to bars/parties and drink. (Well pre covid I did!)

Old 01-18-2021, 08:49 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
UES is only for those under 25 or over 65.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
UES is only for those under 25 or over 65.
That's what I thought, but is the Upper West Side only for those over 25 or Under 65?

Old 01-18-2021, 10:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Tacky vs Blue Blood

or

Westhampton vs SouthHampton.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:56 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Don't know which I prefer better...

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/upp...pper-west-side

The Upper East Side vs. Upper West Side: Which of these NYC neighborhoods is best? Here is an inside look at the differences between the areas.

The Upper East Side and Upper West Side are two of New York’s most coveted neighborhoods. They are among the city’s wealthiest and most sought-after areas and contain some of the world’s most iconic real estate. There is often a debate among New Yorkers as to which area is better.
Pre covid I liked the UWS better. More places to eat, more places to go. Less divided. Now though, there are a lot of bums in the hotels there. I’m sure post covid it will be the better of the two.

UES is very divided. You have the super wealthy near the park and more students near the river. It’s kind of a boring neighborhood in my opinion. But during covid they have less hotels so less bums housed in hotels.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:19 AM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
UES has the old money feel west of Lexington and south of 96th. East of Lexington it's more students, families and healthcare employees from MSK, Weill Cornell, etc. I think it's nice that the UES offers these two distinct experiences.

UWS is more artsy, with Lincoln Center being the equivalent to the Upper East's healthcare complexes. UWS doesn't have the old money feel, it definitely is dirtier and has more homeless/crime in general, especially now. Somehow, it is still pricier than UES east of Lex.

Overall, Upper East easily wins for me.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:32 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Some variant of this thread comes up every few months. Either Upper Side is fine, since it is not difficult to get from one side to the other, ie, not exactly like choosing between the East Coast and West Coast. Features of a specific building or micro-neighborhood (ie, the few blocks around the building) would matter more to me than which side of the Park.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Some variant of this thread comes up every few months. Either Upper Side is fine, since it is not difficult to get from one side to the other, ie, not exactly like choosing between the East Coast and West Coast. Features of a specific building or micro-neighborhood (ie, the few blocks around the building) would matter more to me than which side of the Park.
I mean, there ARE some noticeable differences, especially in terms of the types of people who tend to live there (e.g. old money rich people and healthcare workers on the UES, artists and students on the UWS. The UES, outside the area bordering midtown east, still arguably has poorer subway access than the UWS. Likewise, the UWS has some projects and blighted areas scattered throughout. The UES, below around 96th, has no public housing or blighted areas at all.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:07 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Gets grimmer much faster north of 96th, though. On the UWS it stays pretty stable until maybe 125th St. and I think most people would prefer to live in West Harlem over East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City