Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 06:52 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,237,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Yes. When I used the word "marked" you accused me of backtracking from my original use of the word "overwhelming" . So then I posted the definition of marked to show you that it has a similar meaning as overwhelming. so I didn't backtrack on anything.
Here’s the definition of marked and overwhelming:

Marked: strikingly noticeable; conspicuous:
with marked success.

Overwhelming: that overwhelms; overpowering:
The temptation to despair may become overwhelming.

They are not similar. You decide to use two words that are not the same and then you try to attack my grammar because I did not mistaken their meaning like you did. Oh boy.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:57 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,216,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Here’s the definition of marked and overwhelming:

Marked: strikingly noticeable; conspicuous:
with marked success.

Overwhelming: that overwhelms; overpowering:
The temptation to despair may become overwhelming.

They are not similar. You decide to use two words that are not the same and then you try to attack my grammar because I did not mistaken their meaning like you did. Oh boy.

are you really that obtuse not to see the similarity in the context with which I interchanged those two words?

Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
are you really that obtuse not to see the similarity in the context with which I interchanged those two words?
Dude, give it up. You were wrong and now you are trying to deflect by using personal attacks and going way off topic about semantics.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Dude, give it up. You were wrong and now you are trying to deflect by using personal attacks and going way off topic about semantics.

No, I posted a graph from Pew backing up my claims and you simply couldn't understand the numbers so tried mincing my words as deflection.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:11 PM

1,050 posts, read 693,553 times
I commend her for showing her attacker sympathy and compassion. I'm a strong believer in restorative justice and I too hope he gets whatever help he needs to ensure that he is able to one day become a productive member of society. Yes, he also needs to face some punishment for a period, but that punishment needs to be combined with classes and help with his mental health issues.

I didn't see the arrest, but if it took some force to apprehend him, then this girl shouldn't be as critical. Some people you can coerce, but other require a bit of force when trying to apprehend them.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,580,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Conservative here.

This is my thing: Her attitude is refreshing and blessed, and I am glad that she forgave and has shown mercy on her attacker. I hope more people can open their hearts as she did and exhibit genuine kindness and less blood thirstiness.

However....

People of her worldview tend to believe folks like her attacker are never, ever, ever, ever, ever to be held accountable for their actions. This is why she can watch this man fight like hell with the cops and clutch her pearls over the cops "being rough". What people like her fail to understand is a world without accountability is a world without morals. Once this guy is back on the street, which we all know he will be, what happens if one fine day he socks the wrong one and gets a couple slugs for it?

Yes, he needs help. Truth is he more likely than not doesn't want it and won't accept it. What would she think if the next one was an 80 year old grandmother? The issue I have with liberalism in cases like this is 1) It pretends the victims simply don't exist/matter and 2) It upholds the idea that any sort of discipline or accountability is inherently "cruel". This man needs to be in a facility, but I suspect she'd find that a violation of his "rights".
Well said!

Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
Was it black guilt when that black man refused to press charges when that Karen pretended that she and her dog were "being harmed" by that black man in central park a few months ago and threatened to call the police on him? Was he woke too?
I haven't been following that story but last I heard charges were dismissed and she had to take some woke class to confess her sins. Lost her woke job and tarnished her name to top it all off.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
No, I posted a graph from Pew backing up my claims and you simply couldn't understand the numbers so tried mincing my words as deflection.
Oh for Christ sakes. 84 and 72 are not that far apart. Now if it was something like 84 and 43, then you may have a case but it isn’t.

You tried looking for numbers to back up your dubious claim and it backfired. Whether it was “marked” or “overwhelming”, the numbers simply do not reflect it.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Oh for Christ sakes. 84 and 72 are not that far apart. Now if it was something like 84 and 43, then you may have a case but it isn’t.

You tried looking for numbers to back up your dubious claim and it backfired. Whether it was “marked” or “overwhelming”, the numbers simply do not reflect it.

84 and 72 IS statistically far apart. If you've ever taken a statistics class you would know that.

Regardless, that was just ONE of the charts and actually was the smallest difference. If you read the other charts you will see the other margins are wider. Read.

My claims come from the PEW foundation which is very reputable.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 AM

The fact that you can't acknowledge that republicans/conservatives are much more religiously inclined than democrats/liberals is bizarre to me. You're being willfully ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City