Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:37 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Its wasted breathe. Too many people don't view providing housing as the business that it is. "People shouldnt profit by providing shelter to people who need it!" … These people want NYCHA for all.
Well our mod lives in Mitchell Lama, so maybe that's why he has a hard time understanding that not everyone has some sort of subsidized housing. I've always paid market rate rent, and will be receiving no assistance when I buy a condo or co-op down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 09:08 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
I think it's great that we have Mitchell Lama and lotteries, but it's not going to house everyone. As far as Mitchell Lama - I think it's a very smart move, and better than lotteries if you can get it. It's too bad there aren't hardly any ownership lotteries now, because there used to be.

Last edited by yodel; 03-25-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 09:36 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
For someone who lives in a glorified housing project you sure do have a lot to say on this topic. Keeping a unit vacant is cheaper than housing freeloader losers you are advocating for mr. l&t law firm employee. You should know that basic fact. Let me take a will guess here: you're going to delete this post and give me a bs infraction because I'm spitting facts? Wouldn't be the first time, certainly won't be the last.
What does where I live have anything to do with it? Stay on topic. This is not a personal issue.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,780,433 times
I guess it comes down to the question, is housing (like health insurance) a "right" or a "privilege"? And where you fall in the answer to that question will determine how you feel about housing issues such as eviction.

And because it's such a horror to evict a professional, deadbeat tenant (those who know how to work the system to get out of paying rather than truly unable to due to financial hardship) experienced LLs know it's better to let their units go vacant than make the mistake of renting to a bad tenant. It's akin to marriage. It's better to be single than married to a horrific person. And the more horrific the person, the harder it is to get rid of them & will make your life absolutely miserable.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 AM

So most people feel that the govt should help out the LL in this instance. Should the govt help out the LL if the tenant loses their job? Gets divorced? Experiences medical illness? Because all of those possibilities can result in the tenant not paying their rent.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well our mod lives in Mitchell Lama, so maybe that's why he has a hard time understanding that not everyone has some sort of subsidized housing. I've always paid market rate rent, and will be receiving no assistance when I buy a condo or co-op down the line.
Pat yourself on the back

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night is fine with me. I don't care who looks down on me for where I live. It doesn't affect me. If how I'm living affects you personally, then too bad. Too scared to confront the government, it's easier to confront the poors.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 AM

Everybody on both sides is using Covid as an excuse.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:08 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So most people feel that the govt should help out the LL in this instance. Should the govt help out the LL if the tenant loses their job? Gets divorced? Experiences medical illness? Because all of those possibilities can result in the tenant not paying their rent.
The government's only role in private transactions is to stay out of the way.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-25-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The government's only role in private transactions is to stay out of the way.
So then no bailout for covid?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:20 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So then no bailout for covid?
Yes only because government has forced itself on all of us for too long to not now try to fix it. They need to start walking back their involvement in private enterprise. Safety regulations to an extent and limited protections from predatory situations that are too large for citizens to handle themselves. That's it. That's how it was for generations and everyone was fine. Government's hold over a large portion of everyone's finances is how they maintain control.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City