Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 11:26 AM

1,146 posts, read 861,000 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. There are a handful of bars out in Brooklyn (Lucky 13, Skinny Dennis, Rocka Rolla, and Lucky Dog i.e.) requiring vaccine proof to enter their venue. Now, putting aside the debate on whether or not this is or should be legal, why are certain places requring this and other bars in Manhattan operating with zero restrictions and NOT requiring vaccine proof? Did NY State say that a bar must ask for vaccine proof in order to operate at 100% capacity and no restrictions? Even as a vaccinated person, I am just very confused on the official "rules" for restaurants and bars. Maybe someone can explain this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
So how do you prove it? You just show your CDC paper?

I don't know yet for the NYS standards. I am thinking of watching a soccer game in a bar this Wed in Manhattan so maybe I will see how it's ran here as well.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
So how do you prove it? You just show your CDC paper?

Yeah, some bars that are asking for proof accept a picture of your vaccine card or the NY Vaccine passport app certification. However one place recently posted they now want to see your physical vaccine card. That pissed me off cause who wants to carry that card around and worry about losing it.

I don't know yet for the NYS standards. I am thinking of watching a soccer game in a bar this Wed in Manhattan so maybe I will see how it's ran here as well.
I know NJ just announced bars totally back to normal starting Friday, and no vaccine proof needed. However, it seems venues in NY state are not understanding or in agreement on whether they need to ask for vaccine proof in order to be open 100% capacity.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:35 PM

Ok, found it! Assuming this is a valid source, it appears that technically a bar or restaurant in NYC is required to ask for vaccine proof IF they choose to operate at 100% capacity without social distancing. However, it isn't very clear if a pic of your vaccine card on your phone is acceptable, or if you must present physical card (or if a copy of your card is acceptable). Also, it is unclear if the state will still send investigators to bars to check on vaccine proof if folks are maskless.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/wh...rules-6657796/

Old 05-24-2021, 12:53 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I just don't get it. There are a handful of bars out in Brooklyn (Lucky 13, Skinny Dennis, Rocka Rolla, and Lucky Dog i.e.) requiring vaccine proof to enter their venue. Now, putting aside the debate on whether or not this is or should be legal, why are certain places requring this and other bars in Manhattan operating with zero restrictions and NOT requiring vaccine proof? Did NY State say that a bar must ask for vaccine proof in order to operate at 100% capacity and no restrictions? Even as a vaccinated person, I am just very confused on the official "rules" for restaurants and bars. Maybe someone can explain this.
What is there to get? Private businesses can do as they please. Simple as that. Anyone who doesn't agree with their rules, don't patronize their business. There is no rhyme or reason. It's up to each business to decide how they want to operate in a COVID environment within the rules set by each State, so that means that each business can decide if for example, you need to show proof that you're vaccinated in order to enter.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Actually private businesses cannot do whatever they want AND are supposed to follow state guidelines. After doing some more research, I said above that it appears bars and restaurants are REQUIRED to ask for vaccine proof IF they choose to operate without masks or social distancing.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/wh...rules-6657796/

Old 05-24-2021, 01:11 PM

5,827 posts, read 2,948,440 times
I approve this segregation.
Finally the real drinkers can go to a bar and enjoy some time off Instead of listening to some children yap all night about their roommate situation.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What is there to get? Private businesses can do as they please. Simple as that. Anyone who doesn't agree with their rules, don't patronize their business. There is no rhyme or reason. It's up to each business to decide how they want to operate in a COVID environment within the rules set by each State, so that means that each business can decide if for example, you need to show proof that you're vaccinated in order to enter.

Me and the misses were big on going out at least once a week before covid but that has halted. We were talking about how we used to waste so much money on crappy food and watered down drinks and we came to the conclusion that between the two of us we have saved 1k/month. Multiply that by 15months. We now spend a fraction of that cooking and drinking at home.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I approve this segregation.
Finally the real drinkers can go to a bar and enjoy some time off Instead of listening to some children yap all night about their roommate situation.
I just don't want to have to carry a flimsy vaccine card with me that doesn't fit into a wallet everywhere I go. I hope the pic of the card on your phone will be acceptable proof everywhere, but I am not sure if thats the case. Even the MSG website isn't clear if photo of your vaccine card is proof enough to sit in the vaccinated section.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:28 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I just don't want to have to carry a flimsy vaccine card with me that doesn't fit into a wallet everywhere I go. I hope the pic of the card on your phone will be acceptable proof everywhere, but I am not sure if thats the case. Even the MSG website isn't clear if photo of your vaccine card is proof enough to sit in the vaccinated section.
Get excelsior pass ….I have the ap on my phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City