Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:26 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yodel lives in a house, and I think her view will be different vs. someone who is renting. Those who can move up and out have. Now some parts of it are still fine, but you have quality of life issues and certain people moving in that don't help the neighborhood, plus the overdevelopment.

Sure, she lives in a house and that house is in Bedford Park and she's been there for a good long while. I don't live in Bedford Park as a rental or an owner. I don't know if you do either. She does live there, so I'm kind of interested in hearing her account as a person with first hand experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, she lives in a house and that house is in Bedford Park and she's been there for a good long while. I don't live in Bedford Park as a rental or an owner. I don't know if you do either. She does live there, so I'm kind of interested in hearing her account as a person with first hand experience.
Well she gave it....

Old 06-01-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Actually some two bedrooms recently sold for over 300K in Bedford Park recently.
Which is paradoxical to the ghetto type people who moved in, It's like they temporarily moved in to the buildings that are about to be torn down, and next to them new expensive buildings are coming up and older buildings sell for much more than they used to.
As you mentioned many beautiful historic houses being refurbished or well preserved selling for higher prices.

kinda like Pelham Parkway, lots of ghetto type hanging out since the George Floyd thing yet prices have gone up dramatically.
I'd be willing to bet they have Section 8 types moving in, which is inflating prices. Gotta love it.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Well she gave it....

Yea, she did it. Apparently, she does not agree with you that it has gone downhill. I also didn't think it had gone downhill, but it's good that someone who actually has lived there for over a decade and continues to live there chimed in.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yea, she did it. Apparently, she does not agree with you that it has gone downhill. I also didn't think it had gone downhill, but it's good that someone who actually has lived there for over a decade and continues to live there chimed in.
Yeah, except I didn't say the entire neighborhood went downhill. I said parts of it did, and she also noted that some parts have issues, so we didn't say anything that varied too much. I'm comparing it to what it was years ago. Compared to say Riverdale, very little has changed.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:55 PM

870 posts, read 414,500 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet they have Section 8 types moving in, which is inflating prices. Gotta love it.
Usually Section 8 tenants are in rental-only buildings. These apartments are in very private co-ops who usually discourage renting out.
For example, a few years ago, in my building, they imposed a $200.00 fee if you rent out your apartment, to try to discourage you from doing so, so paying these expensive common charges + the fee would make it barely profitable with the rent money.

A few listings for one and two bedroom apartments, they are not cheap for Bronx standards, andfor Bedford Park compared to what it used to be.

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...105921469.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...106801291.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...105016144.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...106619807.html

Old 06-02-2021, 06:38 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Yeah, except I didn't say the entire neighborhood went downhill. I said parts of it did, and she also noted that some parts have issues, so we didn't say anything that varied too much. I'm comparing it to what it was years ago. Compared to say Riverdale, very little has changed.
Villa Ave is pretty isolated from the rest of the neighborhood due to being separated by the Grand Concourse. Riverdale has new construction too, but it's more of a tower in the park or towers surrounded by parking. For me, that would be a negative because it goes further to create an environment that's not friendly to pedestrians.

Didn't you say that Villa Charlotte Bronte's sister building was demolished and a high-rise was built in it's place? That's a pretty big change and not for the better.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Usually Section 8 tenants are in rental-only buildings. These apartments are in very private co-ops who usually discourage renting out.
For example, a few years ago, in my building, they imposed a $200.00 fee if you rent out your apartment, to try to discourage you from doing so, so paying these expensive common charges + the fee would make it barely profitable with the rent money.

A few listings for one and two bedroom apartments, they are not cheap for Bronx standards, andfor Bedford Park compared to what it used to be.

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...105921469.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...106801291.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...105016144.html

https://www.propertyshark.com/homes/...106619807.html
Absolutely, people generally don't buy coops to rent out as an investment because of the fees and constraints. I have a friend with 100% equity in a couple of co-ops that her husband bought for next to nothing a long time ago, and they make a surprisingly small profit after the maintenance and fees (new ones imposed by DeBlasio for absentee owners). Small investors would prefer condos, but those fees cut into their profit too. Also who would buy a 700 or 800,000 2 family to rent to section 8 either? It makes no financial sense.

Last edited by yodel; 06-02-2021 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yup, you're right, I don't agree with him at all.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Villa Ave is pretty isolated from the rest of the neighborhood due to being separated by the Grand Concourse. Riverdale has new construction too, but it's more of a tower in the park or towers surrounded by parking. For me, that would be a negative because it goes further to create an environment that's not friendly to pedestrians.

Didn't you say that Villa Charlotte Bronte's sister building was demolished and a high-rise was built in it's place? That's a pretty big change and not for the better.
You obviously haven't seen all of Riverdale. Fieldston, the private area consists of all low density, historical houses from the 1900s. A lot of the buildings you're talking about were built after the construction of the Henry Hudson Parkway, and they cleared lots of houses on large lots for them to accommodate the needs of large families that wanted newer housing with amenities like balconies, on-site parking and a feeling of being in an upper class area, so you had lots of people from Bedford Park and other areas of the Bronx that moved there that made it if you will and could afford such a lifestyle.

Bedford Park doesn't offer those sorts of amenities, save a house and I don't think people want to be confined to certain parts of a neighborhood like they are in yours where some parts are shady. All of Riverdale is safe, even the parts along Broadway, so you have apartment buildings in some areas, you have low density in others such as parts of North Riverdale, areas west of the Parkway and east of it. You don't like suburban living, but for people that want to still be close to the City but away from it, but with access to it, it's a perfect middle ground. No druggies. Family-oriented. Low crime. Easy access to Manhattan with the express buses and Metro-North. It will always keep its value because unlike Bedford Park, Riverdale is primarily owners, and the rentals are generally expensive, so there won't be a sudden "decline" in quality of life. I would be curious to know what the owner to renter ratio is in Bedford Park? Any idea? This is the key to most Bronx areas that remain nice... They all have decent sized owner to renter ratios...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City