Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,809,434 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I feel about this. Whether it's a good idea or not.

https://gothamist.com/news/de-blasio...7b2c4-91331958

In mid-2018, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a pilot program to bring four supervised injection sites to New York City. The facilities would allow opioid users to inject drugs in a clean environment with staff nearby equipped with the overdose antidote naloxone. Governor Andrew Cuomo said later that year that he was working with the city to make the pilot a reality.

Three years on, the sites—referred to by the city as Overdose Prevention Centers—have yet to materialize. Now, with his term almost up, Mayor de Blasio has made it clear he wants to fast-track the pilot.

But one of the last hurdles standing in the mayor’s way is President Joe Biden—and it’s still unclear where he stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 06:13 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,222,694 times
Aeran,

It is far easier to ANNOUNCE these kinds of things than to actually IMPLEMENT them.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:22 AM

Yeah, no kidding. I don't know about these supervised injection sites. If they actually do more harm than good. Doesn't Amsterdam or Denmark (I forget which Scandinavian country) have them and it's produced mixed results with some questioning the morality of it all. Substance abuse is a problem. There are no easy answers. And the whole oxycodone fiasco certainly didn't help matters. Doctors were prescribing them like candy... initially. I was even able to get a prescription for it. Never took it though.

I've been seeing more & more people strung out on drugs lately and passed out right on the street.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:24 AM

34,197 posts, read 47,513,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah, no kidding. I don't know about these supervised injection sites. If they actually do more harm than good. Doesn't Amsterdam or Denmark (I forget which Scandinavian country) have them and it's produced mixed results with some questioning the morality of it all. Substance abuse is a problem. There are no easy answers. And the whole oxycodone fiasco certainly didn't help matters. Doctors were prescribing them like candy... initially. I was even able to get a prescription for it. Never took it though.

It was only a problem when Staten Island started liking Oxy

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-19-2021, 09:31 AM

I thought it was more like middle America when people (the press) started to pay attention. Or is that meth? Saw a netflix documentary and it seems like everybody and their cousin is hooked on something there.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:05 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,222,694 times
I am only hooked on Argentine Malbec.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:20 AM

19,105 posts, read 12,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't know how I feel about this. Whether it's a good idea or not.

https://gothamist.com/news/de-blasio...7b2c4-91331958

In mid-2018, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a pilot program to bring four supervised injection sites to New York City. The facilities would allow opioid users to inject drugs in a clean environment with staff nearby equipped with the overdose antidote naloxone. Governor Andrew Cuomo said later that year that he was working with the city to make the pilot a reality.

Three years on, the sites—referred to by the city as Overdose Prevention Centers—have yet to materialize. Now, with his term almost up, Mayor de Blasio has made it clear he wants to fast-track the pilot.

But one of the last hurdles standing in the mayor’s way is President Joe Biden—and it’s still unclear where he stands.
This is the society wide version of the incompetent parent giving their kids' friends a "safe place" to get drunk and high in their basement. The results are no better that training lifetime addicts

Old 06-21-2021, 10:16 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,049,820 times
I support Deblasio's campaign for injection sites - he should open one in Washington Square Park - where they are shooting up anyway. Other possible sites include Battery Park City, Zuccotti Park in Wall St, Metrotech Center in front of JP Morgan, the park across the street from the UN, and Madison avenue between Central Park East and 96th streets. Basically, any place that is a solid blue liberal voting area. Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM

19,105 posts, read 12,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I support Deblasio's campaign for injection sites - Keep the suggestions coming!
Gracie mansion, daughter's room

Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM

De Blasio tempers talk about plans for safe injection sites in New York City

https://www.amny.com/health/de-blasi...new-york-city/

The city isn’t quite ready to unveil plans to establish supervised injection sites in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters Tuesday — but those plans may likely become before he leaves office in December.

His remarks came hours after Politico, citing four sources with knowledge of the matter, reported that the de Blasio Administration directed the city’s Health Department to approve a long-delayed pilot program establishing two supervised injection locations to help prevent drug overdose deaths.

But the mayor indicated on Oct. 26 that he wasn’t yet prepared to announce the program, noting that many details regarding what he called the “overdose prevention centers” have yet to be worked out.

Earlier this month, Governor Kathy Hochul said she would speak with lawmakers and advocates about an injection site plan, and also called for further study on the matter.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, who’s heavily favored in the Nov. 2 election to become New York City’s next mayor, has also indicated that he’s open to establishing safe injection sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: