Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Well the nice thing about paper plates is you don't have to do the dishes, though.
Except they will impound your kitchen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 06:30 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
With speed cameras and red light cameras going up everywhere expect this to continue. I don't blame them.
Speaking of speed cameras, I think I saw my first mobile speed camera today near a school. I was driving and a strobe light flashed from a parked SUV facing me as I approached. I didn’t notice if a car in the other direction had passed it and triggered the light. It flashed as I approached and I was going uphill and going slow. There was a woman in the parked SUV with City of New York license plates but otherwise unmarked. A strobe unit was on the hood of the vehicle. I assumed it was a speed camera unless it is some sort of license plate reader for other reasons like looking for fake plates.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:07 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Every paper plate from NJ and NY is a fake plate.
most not all. i had paper plates (temp tags) that were expired for 2 months bc the dmv was so backed up from covid.of course they could have extended expirations or let dealers give you new temp tags but that would be too simple. i did get pulled over twice when the cop couldn't see the tag in the window late at night (perfectly legit) Both times the tags were expired and I explained the situation. One of them was fine with it the other was nasty, gave me a ticket and told me he was lucky he wasn't impounding my car. The ticket was thrown out in about 10 seconds as the judge understood the situation.

It was nice not paying tolls for 3 months.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:34 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Fake Paper License Plate Scourge Prompts NYPD Surveillance and Arrest Surge

https://www.thecity.nyc/transportati...illance-arrest

The NYPD is ticketing drivers for fake or mutilated license plates at an accelerating clip — highlighting a growing safety scourge, even as the pandemic slows overall enforcement of moving violations, department data shows.

Tickets for missing, improper, obstructed or unregistered license plates through August 2021 are up 45% from the same period in 2019, before COVID brought the city to a near-halt.

Arrests are up too, the stats reveal — with 2,163 busts for suspected fraudulent temporary license plate cases in the first seven months of 2021 compared with 1,134 arrests in 2020 and 1,178 in 2019, according to numbers provided by the NYPD.

Paper license plates are favored by drivers seeking to elude law enforcement, according to police, as well as those trying to evade tolls and speed-enforcement cameras. Police have tied fake plates to dozens of shootings in the city.

This spring, the NYPD’s Auto Crime Unit disseminated a guide to patrol officers, instructing them how to spot the phony tags and sideline vehicles and drivers. Driving a vehicle with a fake plate is a penal violation that could result in jail time.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:13 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
License to Ill: More Drivers With Bogus Plates Evading Traffic Cams, Costing NYC Up to $75M

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/4/25/23...c-cam-cost-75m

Bent, covered up, and outright phony license plates have allowed drivers in the city to dodge red light and speeding cameras some 1.5 million times since the pandemic started — and the problem is only getting worse.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't forget Texas too...
https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...d-02785b6105fc

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fake-pape...imes-across-us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City