Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 05:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times

Advertisements

Yeah. They say that's why we really didn't have a flu season last year. Whether it's the mask wearing, the social distancing or not venturing out all that much (or possibly all 3) as the reason for the lack of flu cases last winter, who knows. However, they're saying this winter time it may be different since people will probably not be doing any of the three mentioned this time around.

I've been wearing the mask because I noticed it keeps out the stinky smell of hot summer in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 05:05 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i dont think they help at all
We are in a new viral pandemic era and many of you have no idea what's brewing in China or anywhere else outside your American bubble.

If they didn't help at all nobody would still be wearing them by choice.

I for one was tired of getting sick especially from strangers. This is the melting pot of the world, I am truly surprised that a contagion of this nature has taken so long to erupt. I don't trust the US government to handle any future Zoonotic viruses so I will be wearing a mask permanently indoors until it is deemed illegal. Hopefully by then I'll be living in Singapore either way where they actually take health seriously.

The US government had knowledge of this virus in the Summer of 2019 and chose to put both hands on their seat and sit their flabby buttcheeks down and do nothing.

I was very ill in Feb 2020 and the outcome could have been far worse. But Government officials didn't want to close JFK over $$$$$ - That was more important than my life and health. I will never trust the US government to take reasonable or proactive measures protect its citizens even on American soil from foreign pathogens.

They could have invoked the defense production act and they chose not to. They chose not to do a lot of things. But I have a choice, I can wear a mask and that can protect me against the next virus, for which there is no vaccine yet.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:02 PM

3,517 posts, read 1,421,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I use Korean KF94 and have been taking Uber going to Dr's Appts and grocery store etc a few times a week for the past 15 months and not even sniffles or a minor cold. Nothing.

Pre-COVID I got sick at least once a year like clockwork no matter what I did in September or February. Well ever since I started wearing masks I have not gotten even a sore throat. So either masks work or somehow I've become magically impervious to all pathogens

I have not taken one sick day at work since March 2020. There has never been a year where I did not use all of my sick days at work.
Yes, actually KF94 is actually pretty good and just as good as N95. But you are in the small minority of people wearing them. Most people are wearing improper cloth masks that do little to nothing.

And like you, I haven’t gotten sick in 15 months. I used to get sick at least twice a year during the fall/winter. I think what helps a lot is working from home. I think 99% of the times I got sick, I caught it from someone at work.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 1,421,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. They say that's why we really didn't have a flu season last year. Whether it's the mask wearing, the social distancing or not venturing out all that much (or possibly all 3) as the reason for the lack of flu cases last winter, who knows. However, they're saying this winter time it may be different since people will probably not be doing any of the three mentioned this time around.

I've been wearing the mask because I noticed it keeps out the stinky smell of hot summer in the city.
So if the flu went away, then why not COVID???

Old 07-23-2021, 11:28 PM

3,352 posts, read 1,242,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
My local Stop and Shop has a sign that says face coverings are strongly encouraged but few store employees actually wear them including none of the store managers I’ve seen. Some cashiers do wear them, and most of the customers also wear them. If the store managers don’t wear them that sends a strong signal that they don’t care about their own stated policy. That’s fine, but take down the signs that encourage their use in their store.
who cares about the sign

Old 07-24-2021, 07:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,366,247 times
Quote:
I'd rather have acne than be on Oxygen battling a high fever and 3-4 weeks of fatigue.

I have some Mask Acne as well but there are solutions on the market for that already. Mine hasn't been bad enough to warrant looking into any yet though.
Oh please. I've been vaccinated and I've been working on-site the entire time, taking mass transit, since this crap started. I've been working in the ENCLOSED ROOM with all of my coworkers (no windows, very little ventilation) next to people who were ultimately positive for COVID. It is HIGHLY unlikely I would be one of the people who gets that sick from COVID anyway.

Do you really think I am scared of getting COVID at this point? Get real. I'm more scared of Lyme disease. The ticks upstate are insane this year and it looks like two of my family members have gotten it. Last time I went hiking I found a tick on me that had actually crawled up my pants.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:00 AM

5,706 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Oh please. I've been vaccinated and I've been working on-site the entire time, taking mass transit, since this crap started. I've been working in the ENCLOSED ROOM with all of my coworkers (no windows, very little ventilation) next to people who were ultimately positive for COVID. It is HIGHLY unlikely I would be one of the people who gets that sick from COVID anyway.

Do you really think I am scared of getting COVID at this point? Get real. I'm more scared of Lyme disease. The ticks upstate are insane this year and it looks like two of my family members have gotten it. Last time I went hiking I found a tick on me that had actually crawled up my pants.
Repped. Oops sorry I tried but it wouldn't let me.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Lyme disease generally doesn't kill you in 10 days

Again with the Classic American Braggadocious bravado...Nobody cares you had disregard for your health and showed up for work in a high risk situation. You survived, many others didn't. Drop your ego and have some respect for the dead.

This is akin to saying I was a 9/11 first responder who didn't get Cancer. Great for you!

Old 07-24-2021, 03:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Quote:
Lyme disease generally doesn't kill you in 10 days

Again with the Classic American Braggadocious bravado...Nobody cares you had disregard for your health and showed up for work in a high risk situation. You survived, many others didn't. Drop your ego and have some respect for the dead.

This is akin to saying I was a 9/11 first responder who didn't get Cancer. Great for you!
Oh please you are full of drama. Your miserable in NYC. Acting like its a war zone, afraid of the subway, afraid to be around people, and lets not forget your far more superior then everyone else and make so much money. You should just buy a small island and isolate you and your family on it.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh please you are full of drama. Your miserable in NYC. Acting like its a war zone, afraid of the subway, afraid to be around people, and lets not forget your far more superior then everyone else and make so much money. You should just buy a small island and isolate you and your family on it.
Take off the rose colored glasses and grow up.

Life is not puppy dogs and kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City